It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bird flu starts to wane

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   
lol, like anyone didn't see this coming....(well at least that's my hope that none one bought into all the hype)
Looks like we're going to have to wait some more before the end of the world

Bird flu fizzling where it started....

May 14, 2006
Avian Flu Wanes in Asian Nations It First Hit Hard
By DONALD G. McNEIL Jr.

Even as it crops up in the far corners of Europe and Africa, the virulent bird flu that raised fears of a human pandemic has been largely snuffed out in the parts of Southeast Asia where it claimed its first and most numerous victims.

Health officials are pleased and excited. "In Thailand and Vietnam, we've had the most fabulous success stories," said Dr. David Nabarro, chief pandemic flu coordinator for the United Nations.

Vietnam, which has had almost half of the human cases of A(H5N1) flu in the world, has not seen a single case in humans or a single outbreak in poultry this year. Thailand, the second-hardest-hit nation until Indonesia recently passed it, has not had a human case in nearly a year or one in poultry in six months.

Encouraging signs have also come from China, though they are harder to interpret.

These are the second positive signals that officials have seen recently in their struggle to prevent avian flu from igniting a human pandemic. Confounding expectations, birds making the spring migration north from Africa have not carried the virus into Europe.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Yay! I'm going to Thailand later this year.

But just because it has not cropped up lately doesn't mean it's not a MAJOR threat to us. I can just imagine it sitting there, having a quiet giggle as it reads all the reports that H5N1 dying out, as it plans its few final moves towards mass extermination.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
yay, what about AIDS / HIV. its killing like mucho people and it gets limited press. I think people are just frustrated / silly about something that hasn't happened, while something much worse continues to grow and hurt.

Everyone knows that H5N1 is a way for pharmaceuticals to make money.

FEAR = $$$ (the darkside).

by the way - stay away from the prostitutes. - AIDS.

join