It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

security help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Well i have MacAfee and ever since i had it things were great no viruses, junk email, firewall was good...but well my subscription ran out and well i really don’t feel like paying again.

Are there any good free programs for firewall, virus protection and other stuff i can download that are good. I already have Microsoft spy ware protection.

Please help

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I'm sure that there is plenty out there.

But remember, you get what you pay for... (most of the time)

If things were so great with McAfee, why stop using it?? You can get no guarantees of the same level of protection, with something 'free'.

My 2 cents.

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
im really tight on money right now and i dont want to spend it on macafee again..i mean they are expensive

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
No, your not getting what you pay for.

I provide support for Microsoft on this subject, and believe me Norton & McAfee are a thing of the past. (More so Norton)

These guys are making less profits every year, this turns into less money being put into the program. They are spending less money on the program, faulty writing of programs, and still trying to turn the same profit.

Click my signature in the bottom here and you'll find alot of information on this.

Free AVG Antivirus

I use this on my home computer and its great. It protects you but its not a control freak. It doesnot pop up and get in your face, but it gives you the luxury of knowing your well protected. It offers updates atleast once or twice a week, and its FREE. It will protect you just as good with no cost.

For Spyware, the best program you can use is probably Spy Sweeper - However it does come at a cost. You can download a free trial at SoftPedia, again you can find all that information in my thread as well.

If your going to take any of my advice, You do not need to pay for a McAfee or Norton. I would use AVG.

Microsoft has newly released Windows One Care but it does have some gitches from time to time. In the future, this will be the number one protection. Simply because who has more money to waste on a program then Microsoft? Does Norton have an Operating System its trying to protect? No. So of course Microsoft is going to do its best to protect its own software.

But for now, hold off on that. Go with AVG.

If you have any questions with this, feel free to U2U me. My system is 100% protected, and it never costed me a penny.

[edit on 13-5-2006 by chissler]

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 11:31 AM
link   
thank you so much, i never new that the major companies are going down the drain. THanks alot

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I wouldn't say they are going down the drain, but I would say 100% the 2006 version of Norton is not what the 2001 Version was. These guys once carried a monopoly, and were turning huge profits. To attain these same profits, cut backs have to be made and its being seen in the program.

If you look through the thread in my signature, you will find so much information.

Take a few minutes and have a look through. Don't hesistate to U2U me either, I'd be happy to help.

Every person I can help on here is a phone call I don't have to deal with at work.

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
One other note to add;

When Microsoft releases the next installment of Windows, Vista, it will have a Windows One Care package pre-installed. You have the free trial and then can decide to purchase it. This purchase option will probably keep them from being sued like the IE vs. Netscape days.

So thinking how many people are currently running xp at the moment, will no doubt be running Vista in the future at some point. One Care will be the program of the future it seems.

Microsoft has done their homework on this one.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 12:17 AM
link   
yea vista is going to be good ie halo 3 for pc...anyway i realized that i still had a subscription to aol...and i downloaded their security center which by the way is great stuff.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I won't lie, Im normally skeptical to ISP protection. I mean you would think that the internet provider is going to provide adequate protection but at the same time maybe they are willing to an accept a profit regardless what the outcome?

If your not experiencing any problems at the moment, Dont Change Anything!.

But the second you do experience any issues, please do bookmark my Virus/Spyware thread, it really will do you alot of help.

And again I say, please U2U me if you have any questions. Rarely does a 24 hour period pass where I do not access ATS, and U2U's are the first thing I look for. I will respond ASAP and with as much information as possilble.

I wish you all the best!

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   
What I use:

Anti-virus - AVG Free
Firewall - Zone Alarm
Anti-spyware - none, but I am carefull with the sites I visit and I do a "look around" once in a while.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Heh, I remember virus's.

I use this now. Virus, spyware, adware, you name it free ever since.

www.mepis.org...

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
do u think it would be a good idea to also use mozzila fire fox as a explorer?

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
do u think it would be a good idea to also use mozzila fire fox as a explorer?

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I was dedicated to IE for years, and just a few weeks ago I gave Mozilla a go. I was very satisfied. Im using Firefox at the moment. Depends on your preference really but Its deffinately no slouch.

Give it a shot!

Mozilla Download!

top topics

join