It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The right to die

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   
www.sky.com...

In the UK at the moment there is a fierce debate regarding this topic. From what I see the debate is split evenly.

The central issue is have you the right to die and have you the right to be assisted to do so.

At the moment it is against the law to assist anybody to die and is a criminal offence which can result in lengthy jail sentences. This law as driven people who believe their lives have declined so far that it is no longer worth living, going overseas. Where they are legally assisted to die.

My opinion, and it is only my opinion is that although I am now of sound mind, if my wellbeing ever disintegrated to such a level I felt it was no longer worth going on, then my choice is to have my loved ones assist me to end it all.

But to do so would result in criminal charges being brought against them.

I was going to post a poll but feel this is such a grey area, didn’t. So the reason I posted this thread is really, all be it morbid, would you put your faith in your loved ones to adhere to your wishes or would you prefer the law have them prosecuted for doing so?
Edit/Delete Message

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
In the US we are also still operating under a cultural lag of the same type, although several states have recently made moves to legalise assisted suicide.

In my opinion the 'right to live' is actually the obligation to live unless I have the choice of an alternative. I feel like I will never be free or be treated with complete dignity until I am afforded legal access to euthanasia.

For some strange reason we continually seek to lengthen our lives at all costs in a country where the mainstream religion teaches that a beautiful heaven awaits us when we die. If we really believe in heaven, why are we so afraid to die?

For all I know, death may be the greatest gift that could ever be given me. I have a good life, I am not depressed or suicidal, and I have many things I would like to accomplish before I pass on. However, death might be the most wonderful transition I could ever experience. Don't keep me alive in pain or in a vegetative state - let me go on.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Why is it we put the quality of life of our pets above our own.
If one of our pets is suffering we take them to the vets to be humanely put to sleep but if it's a human with we will do everything in our power to keep them alive regardless.
I for one have told my wife that should something happen to me she should do all in her power to make sure I suffer no longer than is absolutely neccessary.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Man, I'd kill myself!!!! And no one will be involved!!

I will only kill myself if:

1. I was going back to jail (to me jail is worse then death)
2. I was surrounded by the enemy in combat and had no bullets left(to avoid capture)
3. I knew I was about to recieve horrible torture or would suffer horribly (like disease)

Otherwise, I would never even think about killin myself

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian soldier
Man, I'd kill myself!!!! And no one will be involved!!

But what if you are in some horrible accident and you are in the hospital and lack the ability to kill your self?
This is the issue with which I am concerned. I want to be able to be disconnected from life support if there is no chance of my recovery. I don't want to be kept alive as a slobbering vegetable.

edit to fix quote

[edit on 5/14/06 by wellwhatnow]

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   
you could always ask to be wheal chaired to a clip. Then gather your body strength and roll off...........wwwwwweeeeeeee.......................splat!!!!

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I totally support death with dignity. I think it's a choice every person should have. I would put my faith in my loved ones to carry out my wishes. In fact, with a living will, that's exactly what a person does.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Death with dignity. There seems very little dignity involved in dying for the most part, but you are right, BH, a living will is the only way to go, if you wish to have at least some dignity accorded to you in the event you or a loved one is unable to articulate their wishes concerning their death.

The state seems all too willing to step in where they are not wanted, or perhaps needed in some cases.

I ascribe to the belief that where there is life, there remains hope. Euthenasia, or assisted suicide if you prefer, is giving in to the Reaper. I would just as soon spit in his eye for as long as possible. Eventually we all lose that fight, of course, but I'd just as soon he have to work for it.

This is my view, and I fully realize that alot of you won't agree with me, and I wouldn't force my views on any of you in this matter.

Thinking this over, I can only think of one instance where I would even contemplate having myself euthenised. That would be in the event that I would contract a fatal bug, such as Ebola, or some such. Facing that sort of horrific death is more than I am equipped to handle. I'd just as soon take my chances in the afterlife.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Are you aware that CPR is a heroic effort? This was a difficulty we faced with my dad. He did not want to be stuck on life support, but did not mind CPR. A living will has to be expressly worded to convey your exact wishes. I suggest seeking a lawyer or paralegal to insure you wishes will be adhered to. Make sure it is always up to date, you never know when you may need it.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Yes, indeed the wording of the living will must be precise as possible to prevent any outside agency from interfering with the will of the person involved. Aren't doctors required by both law and oath to exert all possible efforts on behalf of the patient under their care? They face sanctions if they do otherwise. The living will protects everybody as long as it is worded carefully and precisely.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Here are a couple of PODcasts I've done on this subject:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

seagull, as regards 'giving in to the Grim Reaper', I understand and accept that many feel that way, but I have all but rid myself of negative thoughts and perceptions of death. I have a very positive mindset about death and when the time comes that this life seems to be coming to a close, I have no compunctions whatsoever about helping along the process. I don't see it as a negative thing at all.

In an odd sort of way, I look forward to it.

I love my life and I really have a great life and I'm not eager to leave, but when and if the quality isn't worth it to me anymore, I'm outta here.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I certainly respect that, and I may indeed come around to that viewpoint at some point in the future.

I don't think of it, assisted suicide, so much in a negative way, as I do in a not my cup of tea way. If that even makes sense
. I don't think I fear death, so much as I resent the way it hits those who least deserve it.

As for me, I am somewhat more fatalistic about it. Not to the degree you seem to be, but...when it's my time, and I spit in the old guys eye as best I can, I'll go willingly off on the last great adventure, to see what lays beyond.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
My mom died this past February. It was so peaceful. She just breathed and then quit. My dad passed 13 days later, also peaceful. It was so peaceful, the nursing home didn't even realize he was dead. They were performing CPR because they mistook his pacemaker output for a heartbeat. They thought he'd gone into a diabetic coma.

Back in 67, my brother did the same thing after a long fight with cancer. He smiled, said "I see Jesus." then he closed his eyes and died. I do not fear death. When it is my time to go, I'd like to go as peacefully as they did.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Dark Elf. For whatever they are worth, you have my condolences.

top topics

join