It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wanted: Mexican tunnels to explore.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I'm driving to Tapachula next year with a friend, and I would like to visit at least one tunnel site along the way. I've heard the story about Mitla and its 3 sub-basements, but that's it.
so where are the tunnels, and where do they LEAD?

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
You mean the human smuggling cross border tunnels?

I'd really have to suggest that you not go looking for them. Human smuggling operations across the US-Mexican border are operated by international gangs like MS-13. They're rather brutal and you may end up with a "columbian necktie" if you invade their territory.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Why would I post in the Ancient Civ section about drug smugglers? Come on, Nygdan, AINCIENT tunnels. There's enough ruins and temple structures in mexico, there ought to be tunnels.
Now, I just read about the "Liyobaa" tunnel, supposedly near Mictlan in the Zapoteca province, but it doens't tell me much. Anyone have info on this "Cave of death?"
Anyone been there?

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by wannabe
I'm driving to Tapachula next year with a friend, and I would like to visit at least one tunnel site along the way. I've heard the story about Mitla and its 3 sub-basements, but that's it.
so where are the tunnels, and where do they LEAD?

in response to the confusion about human smuggling tunnels and "columbian neckties" ( which i just wiki'ed and it is so gross
)...

next time, wannabe, be less vague...

and nygdan, if it is in this forum, i am pretty sure that wannabe was talking about mysterious ancient tunnels...

good luck wannabe with the quest...

it seems like a great adventure...

be safe!!!

[edit on 15-5-2006 by they see ALL]

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I think Nygdan was only looking out for your well-being.

Here's something you might find of interest.
Caves in Mexico's Copper Canyon, from The People's Guide To Mexico

Let us know how you make out.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Yeah, that's the thing-----safety. Same reason I'm not gonna go explore the "valley of headless men" or the Superstition Mnts---as curious as tunnels are, I don't feel like being found naked and headless in a ditch. That would just be embarrassing.

thanks for the story, 12as;fnq2345n890hgan, but I'm not looking for primitive caves. The only things I want to explore are the miles-long tunnel systems carved by our distant ancestors. The ones obviously NOT chiseled by hand. But hopefully not full of weird critters and booby traps. Eventually I'll make my way to Brazil, or Peru, or Virginia, but for now I'm limited.

So? Liyobaa? Who has answers?

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by wannabe
The only things I want to explore are the miles-long tunnel systems carved by our distant ancestors. The ones obviously NOT chiseled by hand.

Erm, the only ones I know of like that are associated with railway trains and cars. So where did you hear of these tunnels? Yes, I suspect the whole thing is bogus, but on the off-chance there's something behind it, I'm willing to ask first and pounce later.

That would be the source to find out more.

The only thing I've seen is some pretty unreliable reports of "In a secret tunnel that leads..." with no directions and no documentation and other stuff that just sounds made up.

So do tell us more and we'll see if we can at least locate the area for you. You might be able to find a local who will tell you more (I'd be awfully careful about that, for some people will tell travelers anything and be willing to lead them off where they end up being kidnapped or worse.)

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 03:19 AM
link   
A camera will be your best friend. And our's. Please bring back some pics.

TheBorg

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Wow, byrd, how long have you been active on this board? I remember corresponding with you, or at least reading your posts, 4-5 years ago. I've been absent for a while, and I guess there's a dearth of tunnel enthusiasts now.

I misspoke - I'm sure there's ancient tunnels that have been carved by man, but there are at least a few that appear (according to eyewitness) far to straight and cleanly cut to be the work of a hammer and chisel. Maybe that has something to do with the plant acid that eats away at rock, I don't know. (there is a bird that uses it to build nests in large rocks)

But I digress. Yes, there are many such stories, byrd, and if I had more detail on those I would seek them out. I've tried to find such tunnels here in California, but the stories are so vague. There's supposed to be one beneath Giant Rock, near Rosemond. Once I have a truck again, I'll go check it out.
There are, however, numerous accounts of tunnel systems that are easy to find. Sao Paulo, Brazil, comes to mind. Childress touches on many similar tunnel entrances in his "lost civilization" series. As far as Mexico, the best description I can find leads to Mitla, (or Mictla'n in the Nahuatl) a city built in the Zapoteca province. If the accounts are true, then beneath the Catholic church there (built on a ruined temple) is a series of basements that lead to a cave or tunnel system. I don't know where it might lead, but it seems that the South American peoples connected many of their cities with tunnels - sometimes going from one mountaintop to another. Due to earthquakes, some of these passages have been disrupted, or even thrust above the earth. But I can't sit back and not explore the ones that remain.
Doesn't anyone wonder what could be down there?
Aside from the booby traps, snakes, and other critters.

top topics

join