It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Viewing ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Not sure if this is the right board for this, so feel free to move this thread if you need to mods.

Anyways, I read on here a while back about a website you can go to that will let you view a website even if a security blocker won't let you access the website (i.e. filters at work or school). If anyone knows the address of the website and could post it up, I would greatly appreciate it.

P.S. - For those of you wondering why I need to view ATS during school, it's because I am doing a project at school discussing illegal immigrants and ATS has some excellent facts / sources.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   
While this may not prove to be your resolve, perhaps contact your school's Network Administrator and ask that they allow access to the ATS websites. When doing so be sure to state Why you are asking for removal of the block(s).

The worst they can do is say No.?

Otherwise, anything you do to circumvent their "filters" would most likely be in violation of the school's acceptable use rules/guidelines. ?! and could result in denial of access to or even disciplinary actions against yourself.

IMO it's always best to seek assistance through the proper channels first.

$.02

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I assume you're talking about a product like websense...

Unfortunately (for students) it's become increasingly hard to "get around" them, because the companies get smarter each version.

Around 5 years ago, my first exposure to such software, you used to be able to get around the restriction by putting in the site's IP instead of name. Stupid... but it worked. After that stopped working, people got around it by going to proxy sites. Unfortunately Websense (and similar companies) were pretty quick about searching for proxy sites and adding them into the block groups as well.

At this point... having someone set up a proxy site just for you, or using pc anywhere (or similar programs) to connect to your home pc are all I can think of. Keep in mind that installing a pc anywhere type program (aside from being against their policy) will probably not work because a school admin with any brains will have students signed in as restricted users...

My recommendation (which I give to my employees as well) is precisely what 12m said... if you explain to the school what you need the site for, they'll probably understand and unblock it. Most sites are not blocked individually. If your school used the "message board" block group, then ATS would go. I bet if you ask them, they'd open it up.

[edit on 5-8-2006 by Djarums]

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I can't speak for his school district, but being an employee of a very large school district in the IT department; if there is a demonstrable need to view the site and a teacher can vouch for it as a sponsor, because of the higher purposes of a school district, it would be impossible to continue blocking your access to ATS.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   
here is one that i know of:

vtunnel.com...

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I could probably contact school administration, but the school is already closed for the day and I need to get onto ATS during my 1st hour so I am pretty much screwed for going that route. Plus my teacher hates me so he would never vouge for me in any way shape or form.

Thanks a bunch they see all. Hopefully that website can do the trick.

P.S. - Kinda random but does anyone know of any websites that can argue that trying to remove illegal immigrants from the United States is not racists? Hoping to get some good info so I can have an interesting debate with my AP US History class. Thanks a lot!

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by enlightened_smurf
Thanks a bunch they see all. Hopefully that website can do the trick.

P.S. - Kinda random but does anyone know of any websites that can argue that trying to remove illegal immigrants from the United States is not racists? Hoping to get some good info so I can have an interesting debate with my AP US History class. Thanks a lot!

it should work fine...

here is a quick google search that may assist your research:

link...

[edit on 8-5-2006 by they see ALL]

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Don't know if this will make any difference but i think the security thing for my school is St. Bernard, or something like that. Anyone know if the vtunnel website will work for that program?

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Chances are that's also blocked at the filter.

I'm an old guy, and I firmly believe that young people in school need to know about rules, restrictions, and why they are in place. Please don't promote the idea that it is O.K. to circumvent the rules.

It took me no more than 2 minutes to get ATS opened up in this district. Just follow the rules, explain the need, and I'm willing to bet you will be successful. Trying to game the system can result in consequences you aren't anticipating.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Yes Mr Penny I do agree with you. However; my teacher said today in class that tomorrow we would be doing research and I think that ATS has by far some of the best information on the Net. Normally i would go to my principal and explain what is going on, but I have to make up a quiz tomorrow morning before school with my spanish teacher that i missed on Friday due to my 4 hour AP US history test.

So since the normal way would not work, I figured I still need to access ATS so I thought i should try and find a way around their filters. Honestly, its kinda pointless that they block forums like this. I mean, I can understand yahoo forums or whatever where kids are just trying to 'cyber' or whatever, but I mean whats the worst that can happen here? Someone finds new information that changes the way they think?

Anyways enough ranting from me, and thank you again they see ALL for linking vtunnel and that googel search.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
You're right, its a great place for research. Quit answering your thread and go research
When you get through this, one of life's "little lessons", talk to administration and get ATS opened. Use my u2u, send an email address for a contact and I'll vouch for the site personally.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Anyways enough ranting from me, and thank you again they see ALL for linking vtunnel and that googel search.

no problem man...

again, it should work...

i go to a high school (well, i am graduating in some weeks) and that site works for me...

i am sure it will work for you...

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I took your advice and got to school really early to talk to my principal. I ended up persuaing her to allow ATS so I was able to do my research without a problem. Thanks again to everyone!

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I took your advice and got to school really early to talk to my principal. I ended up persuaing her to allow ATS so I was able to do my research without a problem. Thanks again to everyone!

niiice man

you should be glad that your principal was compassionate enough to do this for you...

in the future, "higher ups" may not be as nice...

top topics

join