It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music, people, and Religion, what do you think?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I'm just curious, what do members here think about this? At what level does telling someone/people about God and Music influence beliefs, look below:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, not Rob Zombie. No, not Marylin Mason. But another person's who's group has been persecuated by some "New age" churches. Backstreet Boy, Brian Littrell a.k.a, "The Hearthrob", "Religious One", "Boy Next Door", "The one with Wife and a cute little boy."- Let me know, if I ever ring a bell.

Anyway, feel free to check it out or preview it on AOL, just for fun, and what do you think of preachers picking on bands?

Just let me know what you think. I think he released this CD to get them to shut up, and to prove that their group has more values than people think, especially in their own dominations of religion.

links both good and bad, if you believe in chruch or have any religious affilation, I'm just showing how the chruch uses it against people and their fans to get your money, I hold no grudges.:

www.riseofislam.com...

www.av1611.org...

www.goodfight.org...

www.brunching.com...

altreligion.about.com...

djperry.blogspot.com...

www.believermag.com...

members.aol.com...

EVEN FREEMASONS!-www.goodmanson.com...

happyfunpundit.blogspot.com...

www.christiantoday.com...

www.yubm.org...

Please, tell me what you think, believe and why? How far should preachers take them? As far as I know, Backstreet Boys or Brian hold nothing against any web postings or sites dissing the group or topic, it's more of fans and social-chruch issue. I just wonder how far some of you Christians think.

BTW, 2 or 3 Backstreet Boys are Baptists Christians, 1 is a Catholic, and the 1 or 2 tends to be more gnostic or Lutherian about the subject, I'm not sure. Just tell me what you think? No answer is wrong, just be polite and respectful, please.

[edit on 6-5-2006 by cranefly]

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I've got some comments on your post--very thoughtful, BTW...

For right now, here is a link from the other side of the argument:

WMFU in NY

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Thanks, but most of their fans, see most of their songs like people see "1,001 Arabian Nights", as strories to cheer you up, help you relate, and help you "move on" with light. I just don't like how some chruches are defaming them to covert people. Yes, they can be provatice, kinky, and sensual in some songs, but their personal values are just what one would expect to see in the typical suburbs, and that's from fans they've met and talked to over the years, even the newspapers. I just hate how churches do it in the name of the bottom line.
:x

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Just a few thoughts:

Saying that you believe in God is not the same as being a follower of Jesus. Profession and action go hand in hand.

Yes I believe that many of the lyrics from the listed groups are un-Christlike. Any true follower will come to see this and alter their words and actions, beliefs and interests. It doesn't matter if they profess to any religion if they are not matching that declaration with action.

How far should preachers take them?

Preachers and any of God's followers have the right to declare His word.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I've never listened to the Backstreet Boys. Mainstream music, especially boy bands, just doesn't do it for me. However, I've heard "Welcome Home You" on many occasions on K-Love, and it's one of my favorite songs that K-Love has been playing recently. I'm a huge Christian music fan (it's pretty much all I listen to), and what I've heard from Brian I have liked.

However, that's my take on Brian, not on the issue you brought to light. I'll be honest, I didn't click any of the links you provided (kinda an intimidating overkill
), but it sounds like the concern is, should preachers and others of Christian influence speak negatively about this guy for either his actions, past actions, his devotion, or his lyrics.

Short answer: yes, no, yes, yes.

The most dangerous wolf is the one in sheep's clothing. If I'm a pastor or in some other leadership type position where other Christians younger (knowledge wise) in their faith than myself look to me for guidance, I'm going to speak out if I think Brian's going on the right or wrong path. By Brian Littrell releasing this Christian album, he has made a public declaration that he is an ambassador for Christ. As such, his actions represent Christ. Because he's so popular, those actions speak volumes towards the Christian community as a whole. How many times on these boards alone have the Crusades been thrown in Christian's faces? The actions of a politician who used faith as a tool to acquire more territory have been representative of Christianity in many people's minds for over 400 years, though there was nothing Christian about them. This is why pastors or Christian leaders not only can, but should cry out when someone in the lime light claims Christ as their savior yet lives contrary to what they say.

As for the "no" answer, Brian should not and can not be condemned for anything he has done in the past. God forgave him for any mistakes he made in the past, and God calls all of us to do the same, especially Christian leaders (who should lead by example).

top topics

join