It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lincoln Assassination Theories: A Simple Conspiracy or a Grand Conspiracy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Lincoln's assassination has always interested me. I found a great website that told me more then I orginially knew about the lincoln assassination. I found out that booth might have not just acted alone in the undaunting task. I will list the website to where this information came along with it's admissions to theories about booth and lincoln.

First Theory: Was Vice President (At the time) Andrew Johnson involved with Booth?

Seven hours before the assassination at fords theater booth stopped by the Washington hotel which is where Vice President Johnson was staying at the time.

THE FOLLOWING IS FROM THE WEBSITE LINKED BELOW

Upon learning from the desk clerk that neither Johnson nor his private secretary, William A. Browning, was in the hotel, Booth wrote the following note: "Don't wish to disturb you Are you at home? J. Wilkes Booth." Did Johnson and Booth know each other?

In the 1997 publication "Right or Wrong, God Judge Me": The Writings of John Wilkes Booth edited by John Rhodehamel and Louise Taper it is stated on p. 146 that Booth had previously met Johnson in Nashville in February, 1864. At the time Booth was appearing in the newly opened Wood's Theatre. Also, author Hamilton Howard in Civil War Echoes (1907) made the claim that while Johnson was military governor of Tennessee, he and Booth kept a couple of sisters as mistresses and oftentimes were seen in each other's company. Lincoln had essentially ignored Johnson after Johnson's embarrassing behavior on Inauguration Day.

Very interesting eh? What's even more interesting is the fact that lincoln's wife thought johnson might have been involved as well, and so did some members of congress. Apparently the members of congress set up a special assassination committee on johnson but however, nothing suspisious was ever found, except for the note I guess.

My personal sumation is that booth did this to try and "Make it look like Johnson had part in this." And if that was so, im sure booth thought it was a genius move at the time. But all it really caused was ache for johnson. and maybe that's all booth wanted if anything at all out of that note.

2nd Theory: Booth just acted alone in the assassination

THE FOLLOWING IS FROM THE WEBSITE LINKED BELOW

This theory has John Wilkes Booth as the mastermind and that all remaining conspirators, with the one exception of John Surratt, were either hanged or sent to prison at Ft. Jefferson. Among the books that have supported this theory are Clara Laughlin's The Death of Lincoln: The Story of Booth's Plot, His Deed, and the Penalty, David M. DeWitt's The Assassination of Abraham Lincoln and Its Expiation, and George S. Bryan's The Great American Myth.

The simple conspiracy theory paints Booth as a Southern patriot and racist who originally planned to kidnap the President, take him to Richmond, and hold him in exchange for Southern prisoners of war. When the kidnapping plans fell through, Booth turned to assassination as his means for revenge. The entire plot consisted simply of John Wilkes Booth as the leader of a small band of co-conspirators. In 2004 Michael W. Kauffman's encyclopedic American Brutus: John Wilkes Booth and the Lincoln Conspiracies was published. Kauffman paints Booth as a master at manipulating people, not as a stooge for others.

I think this might be the most likely theory of them all. But just because this is a simple answer dosent make it what really went down.

3rd Theory: The Last Confederate Stand (I Call This One) "Who Laugh's Last"

Well. With this new rule about maximum characters im running out of room. However, If you wish to learn more... check out this website and finish where I already started. Feel free to post your own opinions as I look foreward to other ideas behind the "Lincoln Assassination."

The Lincoln Assassination Conspiracy

_

edited to include 'ex' tags...please refer to this thread;
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 26-4-2006 by masqua]
EDIT: All caps title - wcip

[edit on 2006-4-26 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
wow, I thought this thread would defintelly get some replys. What I mean is, I would think that some of you out there would have your own theorys about what caused/'pushed' booth towards assassination. But then again, everyone could be wrong... "Shrug" Oh Well...

By the way, thanks for the help on the edit. I always forget something. I apriciate the edit opposed to a deleted thread.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I still think towards the 4th theory.

Do you know the power and history of the Rothschilds?

Two presidents tried to put the money control back in the government and they were both assisinated.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Should read the autobiography of Charles Chiniquy, an ex-catholic priest and a personal friend of president Lincoln.

Chiniquy wrote in his book "50 Years in the Church of Rome" that the assassination was conducted by the Catholic Church. I don't remember the details since i read it a long time ago... but its a VERY GOOD read.

Its ironic how Charles Chiniquy hasn't really been heard about in the 21st century, considering he was one of the most famous people during his time. Someone did a good job of hushing it up.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Yeah, I heard about the Catholic church being behind the assassination. it's a very intreging thought. It's mentioned along with many others on the website Link I put up. But keep the ideas coming in, I love the input!

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for the info. I'll have to look into the Catholic Church theory.
One thing I've always wondered about Lincoln's assassination is how the guards weren't guarding like they should have been... sort of like how JFK's Secret Servicemen were called off right before the assassination.

If Booth really was a crazy, Southern lone gunman, how was he allowed access to the president?!?!

If Oswald really was a crazy, Communist lone gunman, how was he allowed to... (we all know the rest, no need to get into THAT)

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Croaker, you should pick up a copy of Manhunt. It is on the shelves now. It details the manhunt for Booth and his conspirators. I learned a hell of a lot about the assassination and the assassins. For example, Booth came from a very famous family of actors and was a very recognized public figure. The attack on lincoln was done in conjunction with an attack on Secretary Seward (he lived, his son died). There was another assassin who was supposed to kill the VP but he got drunk instead.

top topics

join