It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Members: New Post Character Count Restrictions (updated)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

Originally posted by curme

Originally posted by chissler
If you put the cursor over your status bar which is in the bottem of your member area, you will see how many posts you have.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that only works if you are still using Internet Explorer.

I run Mozilla and I had noticed that fuction will not work with it. So yes for myself I can only notice that while running IE. Unable to speak on behalf of any other browsers.

You can get the extension "PopUp ALT Attribute" which will make it work just like normal in Firefox or Mozilla. Or ATS can change ALT attributes to TITLE attributes, and it'd work cross-browser without any sort of "extra" stuff needed, since Firefox (etc) doesn't support ALT attributes as popups, therefore following the W3C spec.

[edit on 4-25-2006 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Hmmm, well lots of conversation about this issue and I honestly don't see the big deal.

When someone takes a flight, they can't bring 16 pieces of luggage. Same here. Just bring a couple bags and a carry-on. Where is the big problem with that?

This just reinforces the notion that some people complain...just to complain.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander
This just reinforces the notion that some people complain...just to complain.

Complaining about the complainers..... That is just too funny....

Sorry, zzz, but ya left yerself open fer that one...

No harm in people sharing their opinions on this matter...however angry. That is what makes ATS healthy.

[edit on 25-4-2006 by loam]

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   

As ATS continues to grow (now in the top 10 highest traffic discussion boards on the Internet)...

I've checked this in the link provided by Simon and we can proudly say that ATS is the bigest forum in the internet that deals with conpiracy
Congratulation guys, WAY TO GO

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Been here for a couple of years and as always when a rule change or something as this comes up there will always be someone who disagrees or thinks staff is being controlling. Not true, Ive been thru quite a few of the changes and to me they seem to have always worked out for the best. I dont believe the owners of the site are trying to curtail anyone , but only make the site run more efficently and in the end to benefit all of us who use it. No one is forcing anyone to remain here should they not agree with what the owners do, even though it may be their site, I still believe that it is for all of us to experience and enjoy, so just do that and instead of hindering the changes, lets just see how they work in the end, Im certain if they dont accomplish the goals they will be reworked, just my opinion on the issue.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 12:15 AM
link   
chissler & 12m8keall2c-------------Thanks for your response to my earlier post. As long as I have been here (almost 2 years) I should have known about holding the cursor over that bar. I'd have thanked you earlier, but I was called away from the computer then had to go to work. I just found your responses. It works just fine.

I have noticed that really long posts can cause me to skim over the post more than short ones. Perhaps these new limits will cause ideas to be more concise. Sometimes too much is presented in long posts, causing somebody like me to miss something as I skim. I have noticed this several times as I have had to go back and see what others are talking about. It seems to me that smaller posts can focus on only one or two ideas. I would think that linking several smaller posts together would allow everything that anybody might want.
Mostly, I read what others have written. I only respond occasionally. Those responses have mostly been small. The new limits really won't affect me.
No, I do not think that THE SKY IS FALLING!

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Hey guys,

I just tried to correct one of my posts in Skeptic Overlord's thread "Impeach Bush Now!" Knowing that there is a character count and that my previous post was made before the character count, before I could correct it, it erased half of my post!

And then, when I tried to paste a link to an article with a long character count, the character count erased the characters of the link because it was too long!!! What are we to do? What about the articles in the atnns submissions that have links with long character counts?

I know that a character count is the right thing to do to keep the board running. It is fair to a point. I have already split some of my posts apart.

I know that I'll just have to get a thick skin about this. But, when the new character count wipes out half of your proof....it gets a little frustrating. That's all.

I'm sorry

Ceci

[edit on 26-4-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Okay. I've come to terms with my loss of proof for my post. If I have to use five posts to do it, then I will.

It is all for the greater good of ATS. I don't mean to be one of the "gripers", but I will do my best to follow the new rules and try to make my words consise.

I apologize for the last post. I will get a grip and continue to work with the new guidelines.

Ceci

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   
well I am very happy actually

dont have a prob at all...in fact I am really thrilled cos the little counter thing tells me how many words I type in a minute!! what value!! really.....

I am not fussed at all...so I would like to state for the record that I would like to be placed into the 'not fussed basket'...

these changes are all very reasonable...whenever I have gone to the airport with excess luggage I have had to pay for it!!!

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Too small, too big, too fast, too slow, watch the language, stay on topic, don't call that moron a dirty word, etc. etc. *laughs* ya know, I come here to get Away from my wife *pokes*

mmph.

oh well....

anyone who can't figure out how to stay true to themselves and still wave their private parts within the system don't deserve to be playing with joysticks in the first place.

honesly, we're not supposed to say certain slang words here, either, but has that stopped Any of us from using colorful metaphors?

Admittedly, having to have to split up a big post and then run the risk that some bozo is gonna sneak a post in Between your ten zillion word novel IS kind of a drag...

but nobody is gonna leave because of this, are they? I suppose we could all just pop over to the number one board (and chat about fat deals and coupons) in some sort of protest... oh joy.

900 characters.. now.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
i have just noticed too , that if you attempt to edit a post for typoes or format -- it plays silly buggers -- it took me 3 , yes 3 attempts to insert a quote tag i missed earlier today

is this something that SO is looking into ??

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I noticed today that when I started typing a post my count started at the number it was at when I posted a couple of days ago. Does this mean that I can only post 5000 characters in my entire lifetime or that there is a bug in the works.

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
edit
don't matter
I guess some one went on global ignore

[edit on 19/7/2007 by Sauron]

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
the 'limits' (subject to special consideration depending on judged content)

seems appropriate to the normal attention span....
anything more convoluted than 1 layer if issue or exceeding 10k words
is problematic.
the sheeple get dazed...

but if you say its for the servers 'flow' then i'll be dazzled by that explaination...

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Of course this thread is over a year old, right?

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Djarums

Yep, seems that this thread needs an update however, because I have had a 10k character limit for quite a while now.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Well, it's good to know some of the definitions of how much of our post is allowed due to character restrictions, while at the same time it's probably better for the newer members to be restricted and in essence earn their wings, so to speak the max level of 10000 characters for their posts.

I remember being frustrated the first time I was posting and went past the 4000 characters, and lost like a 1/3 of what I was doing, but now I just utilize Microsoft Word, and copy and paste it in, in order to use spellcheck as well.

Good luck to all posters and threadweavers in ATS.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
As i said in the other thread before it was (unsuprisingly) closed, this issue of some being able to post more than others reminds me of a line from Animal Farm by George Orwell:- "All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others".

What would happen if someone came to this site as a new member with a groundbreaking story and all the proof in the world to back it up, but decided to break the story on another site because they didn't agree with the restrictions on posting here.
What if they made that other site world famous through breaking the story there instead of here.

Giving older members more space may not be the real issue here, but the fact that when any section of a community be it online or not, is given more than another section is then it just brings up the old issue of equality.

Why are older members deemed more worthy or space than the newer members with the new ideas, thoughts and opinions.
It isn't so much about the 4000 not being enough in itself, it is more the principle of the matter that people have a problem with.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join