It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Javelin Anti-Armour Missile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
This is an outstanding anti-armour and even anti-building weapon. It is fire and forget and has already had a great combat record with Special Forces units in Iraq.

www.army-technology.com...

www.fas.org...

[edit on 23-4-2006 by scarecrow19d]

[edit on 23-4-2006 by scarecrow19d]

mod edit:

ABOUT ATS: General ATS discussion etiquette (review link)
4) Most of all, do not use ALL CAPS in posts and thread titles.

[edit on 24-4-2006 by UK Wizard]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I'm kind of partial to the Russian Kornet but it doesn't have the top firing capabilities. There are apparently stories about the iraqi insurgents using them to disable M1 tanks from 3,000 meters but so far it's unsubstantiated.
Even if it hasn't so far I can only think that it will eventually get into the hands of the insurgents and then it will be a truly serious threat to the Abrams(It can penetrate 1200mm of armor).

www.army-technology.com...

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I thought the Javelin was widely accepted as the new ATGM? (Anti-Tank guided Missile).

Well I guess it doesn't matter anymore since tanks haven't been encountered for a very long time in Iraq.

I personally prefer weapons like the M79 LAW and the new Predator.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I think the javalin is great but i read somewhere they cost something like $80,000 U.S dollars each(missile only) now thats expensive.

If they could "cheepen" the cost of the missile system then it would be even better. But at that cost i don't really see the need for it especially considering the cold war is over and russia's mass tank invasion/push is no longer a possability and the most powerfull country america will face in the future will be 3rd world there tanks couldn't even take a TOW missile the Javalin seems like overkill and more like an expensive over kill.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
well theres no teeling who you'' face in a war we could soon fight Iran or N Korea etc and they all have formidable tanks. Ground Zero the preadtor is shorter ange and the MBT LAW doesnt have top attack mode its not as deadly.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Sounds really close to actual cost, don't remember off the top of my head, but that price is about right. The Javelin "Fire & Forget" missile, is a combined effort between Texas Instruments and Lockheed Martin.

The unit consists of a Command Launch Unit or CLU for short. It's weight w/out battery, carry bag and cleanig kit: 11.94 lbs
CLU sights include day 4x, night 4.2x and a narrow field of view 9.2x. It's battery is Lythium type. There are display indicators which give feedback in a responce to a gunner control input.

Missile only, weight is 22.328 lbs has it's own seeker cam with a magnification 9x.
It has a range of over 1 mile, direct attack or top attack modes. At about 3.55 ft long and 5 inch diameter, the rounds is reasonable in my opinion. The Battery Coolant Unit or BCU, weighs 2.91 lbs, and is 8x4.6 inches and has a limited life span. Gas section (Argon), has volume of 12 cubic centimeters and pressure around 7500 PSI.

May as well add this in, the Launch Tube Assembly or LTA, weighs 8.922 lbs.

If you ever get one, let me know and I'll make sure you have instruction on it's correct use. Call it a use and operation course, if you will.

[edit on 25-4-2006 by ADVISOR]

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   
What seems lost here is that the system is not just for anti tank, it can be used against buildings and other targets as needed.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Of course it can be, most if not every thing has been used for more than just one purpose. Over kill in my opinion, under normal conditions. Given any odd situation, and that was what it took, so be it, back blast area better be clear.
However the Javelin works better as an AT weapon. I imagine it performs very well against non armored targets, considering it's capabilities. One can clear a building with multiple 40mm rounds and still use the structure after.

new topics

top topics

join