It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need info/advice on buying a kitten in Japan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Please help!

Does anybody have any useful information on where to go or how to go about buying or adopting a kitten in Japan ?
I am living in Yokosuka with my fiance and we're having a hard time finding a shelter or advertisements for pets for sale.

There is a PAWS shelter on the Navy base here in Yokosuka however there is a 4 month wait on any kitten aoptions and we're eager for one.

The pet stores here are not an option, from what I have researched their suppliers are questionable and they're VERY pricey anyway, a site I found was listing American short hair tabby's for 138, 000 Yen and up!
... it costs more to buy a kitten than a brand new refrigerator here, go figure
... also any advice on why pets are so expensive to buy here would be great

Thanks!

[edit on 22-4-2006 by ImJaded]

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease help

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
eBay?

if you can order a sabertooth barracuda to texas why not a kitty to japan? :p

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   
nvm guess you cant
however you could order from pet stores and get a cat i suppose

why not order a genet, theyre kinda like a cat

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 01:56 AM
link   
lol I often put that question to my fiancee "U can order everything else online gee"

I read some disturbing information from various sources, mostly people's firsthand accounts, of their store-bought pets dying soon after purchase from the pet stores here, not to mention the treatment they get. So I don't want to condone that kind of business, let alone think about having to deal with a dead pet or the thought of that even happening

thanks for your replies anyway Lysergic
I shall continue in my mission locally.

[edit on 24-4-2006 by ImJaded]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Awwwwwww Kittens!!

If you really really want one, I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

ETA: I had to wait years till i found a good dog breeder, and i'm ever so glad I waited and didn't just take the first one

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded
Does anybody have any useful information on where to go or how to go about buying or adopting a kitten in Japan ?

Hey there,

As far as I know, if you go to the local City Hall (Usually where you have to register as residents) they should know where the local animal shelter is. Where I live is generally rural, anybody finds stray kittens and they are handed in to City Hall. If nobody wants them they are sent to the next town down for the long walk......sniff...

Also note kitten insurance is insanely expensive.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I hope you find a kitty. We saved ours, and captured them when they were small and floundering in the wild. They are all so friendly now, Little bun is lying with me right now as I type, he loves to surf. I had no idea a kitty could cost more than $1200 dollars in Japan. Have you tried to put a note up at a school perhaps? Maybe you could look in a newspaper for someone who's pet has had kittens? I can tell you from experience that they add so much joy and comfort to your life, and they become like one of the family. You will not regret getting one. Good Luck!

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by howmuchisthedoggy

Hey there,

As far as I know, if you go to the local City Hall (Usually where you have to register as residents) they should know where the local animal shelter is. Where I live is generally rural, anybody finds stray kittens and they are handed in to City Hall. If nobody wants them they are sent to the next town down for the long walk......sniff...

Also note kitten insurance is insanely expensive.

Wonderful! Thank you so much, we are headed there this week for our marriage licence too so I will see about it while there. Appreciate that info

Ummm kitten insurance ? I had no idea about this, would you be so kind as to elaborate for me ?

And thank you crookedblue and Praxilla, I am content to wait for the right one, yes, I'm just really missing my 2 back home in Australia, they're my babies and am missing them so but know they're being taken of by my family. We're just keen to have one here in our home and start our lil family

Many thanks for the replies guys

[edit on 24-4-2006 by ImJaded]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I hope you find the perfect Kitten, ImJaded
!!!! x x x

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded
Ummm kitten insurance ? I had no idea about this, would you be so kind as to elaborate for me ?

Not sure if it's true or not, but if you don't have pet insurance and wicky gets sick, then, as you know in Japan, it can be quite expensive.

We expect pictures of said wicky kitten!!!!

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 07:55 AM
link   
good luck finding a cat. my girlfriend and I meant to get one this year, but we decided to wait when we found out our apartment requires a $350 pet deposit.

in all other respects, i am a cynical, insensitive, unpleasant, and generally evil person... but i have a very large and very vulnerable soft spot for cats.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   
If you have a vet on base, kitty care should not be a problem. Importing any animal from outside is a PITA. I'd stay away from that one if possible. We're looking at moving to Japan (soon I hope) and I'll have to get my old cat chipped and start on the paperwork. Can't leave him behind, he's been my pal for almost 14 years.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 08:22 AM
link   
When I lived in Japan we got a puppy at a local pet store.
Shibakin! Adorable!!

You said that you live on base. I suggest that you ask some of
the locals who work on the base to check the local paper to see
if someone has kittens they are giving away.

Just be careful with the paperwork. When you leave and come
back to CONUS you have to have documentation from Japanese
AND American vets that the pet is healthy and has shots. At
least we had to for the dog. The airport in Tokyo did check
the Japanese papers for our dog.

Also, I don't know if quarintine rules have changed. You may
wish to check them before you get the kitten. I know that
going into Hawaii with pets is a 4 month quarintine for the
animals. So is England. Canada is highly restrictive if you
are coming in from certain parts of the world.

You are military? Don't forget that you'll be moving and changing
bases time and time again. Keep that in mind when getting a pet.
Also - the rate of death for dogs/cats going into Germany with
American military personnel is something like 50% in the first
year there.

I'm a cat person. I wish you well finding your new family member
- a beautiful kitten or two. Good luck.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Parallelogram
good luck finding a cat. my girlfriend and I meant to get one this year, but we decided to wait when we found out our apartment requires a $350 pet deposit.

180, 000 Yen, which is equivalent to about $1600 USD is what our landlord wants
so we've decided to wait until we move on base. Can't actually believe we were considering it, although this house we live in off base is quite new and modern, lovely inside so I guess I can understand it but refuse to pay it.

Thanks for the good luck wish, need all the luck we can get

Originally posted by darkelf
If you have a vet on base, kitty care should not be a problem. Importing any animal from outside is a PITA. I'd stay away from that one if possible. We're looking at moving to Japan (soon I hope) and I'll have to get my old cat chipped and start on the paperwork. Can't leave him behind, he's been my pal for almost 14 years.

Yes whew I didn't realize until after what HMISTD meant by insurance, we will be using the on-base vet

I did ponder importing one for a moment but decided against that.
Hope all goes well with U and your move
thanks!

Originally posted by FlyersFan
When I lived in Japan we got a puppy at a local pet store.
Shibakin! Adorable!!

You said that you live on base. I suggest that you ask some of
the locals who work on the base to check the local paper to see
if someone has kittens they are giving away.

Just be careful with the paperwork. When you leave and come
back to CONUS you have to have documentation from Japanese
AND American vets that the pet is healthy and has shots. At
least we had to for the dog. The airport in Tokyo did check
the Japanese papers for our dog.

Also, I don't know if quarintine rules have changed. You may
wish to check them before you get the kitten. I know that
going into Hawaii with pets is a 4 month quarintine for the
animals. So is England. Canada is highly restrictive if you
are coming in from certain parts of the world.

You are military? Don't forget that you'll be moving and changing
bases time and time again. Keep that in mind when getting a pet.
Also - the rate of death for dogs/cats going into Germany with
American military personnel is something like 50% in the first
year there.

I'm a cat person. I wish you well finding your new family member
- a beautiful kitten or two. Good luck.

My fiance is military, I am a civillian living with him off base so we don't live on base yet but plan to soon as our marriage is finalized and will look at the housing there although there is a wait so my kitty can wait til then and I am told their should be plenty of babies around this time of year.

I SO wanted to bring my baby boy with me when I left home in Feb, but knew it would just be too much for both me and him, with quariantines and all, just didn't seem worth it.

I have given alot of thought about what U mention in regard to moving and paperwork, I didn't realize quarantines could take so long
I don't think I'd be able to stand having any baby of mine away for that long. Does it change them ?

Thank you for all the info and advice guys and gals, it is muchly appreciated by both myself and TheDayAfter

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
The quarantine for pets coming into Japan is less than a day IF your pet is chipped and your paperwork is complete. Check this site for more info. If your paperwork is not done, 180 days of quarantine.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Just a warning: if you order a "chipped kitten", it's liable to come creamed and on toast points.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkelf
The quarantine for pets coming into Japan is less than a day IF your pet is chipped and your paperwork is complete. Check this site for more info. If your paperwork is not done, 180 days of quarantine.

Thank you for the information DarkElf

What about upon returning to the States ? Same kinda deal or different again ?

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Conditions for bringing pets out of Japan

In order to leave Japan, animals must undergo inspection at the Animal Quarantine Station for rabies (and in case of dogs, rabies and leptospirosis). The inspection is conducted during export quarantine of within 12 hours, and as it is a clinical health check, it should not take that long provided that no abnormalities are discovered. Nevertheless, it is recommended that you contact the Animal Quarantine Station in advance (at least seven days before traveling).

Proceedures

Conditions for bringing pets into the US

Cats (Note: this section updated March 28, 2006)

A general certificate of health is not required by CDC for entry of pet cats into the United States, although some airlines or states may require them. However, pet cats are subject to inspection at ports of entry and may be denied entry into the United States if they have evidence of an infectious disease that can be transmitted to humans. If a cat appears to be ill, further examination by a licensed veterinarian at the owner's expense might be required at the port of entry.

Cats are not required to have proof of rabies vaccination for importation into the United States. However, some states require vaccination of cats for rabies, so it is a good idea to check with state and local health authorities at your final destination.

All pet cats arriving in the state of Hawaii and the territory of Guam, even from the U.S. mainland, are subject to locally imposed quarantine requirements.

Just keep in mind to check for the most current requirements at least a month prior to leaving Japan.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Thank you so much, really appreciate that, you're a gem!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join