It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget Iran! The US better invade Brazil!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 03:24 AM
link   
There's a country that might be developing WMD right on Uncle Sam's doorstep!

Brazil follows Iran's nuclear path, but without the fuss

By Peter Muello
Associated Press Writer

04/20/06 RESENDE, Brazil (AP) - As Iran faces international pressure over developing the raw material for nuclear weapons, Brazil is quietly preparing to open its own uranium-enrichment center, capable of producing exactly the same fuel.

Brazil - like Iran - has signed the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty, and Brazil's constitution bans the military use of nuclear energy.

Also like Iran, Brazil has cloaked key aspects of its nuclear technology in secrecy while insisting the program is for peaceful purposes, claims nuclear weapons experts have debunked.

While Brazil is more cooperative than Iran on international inspections, some worry its new enrichment capability - which eventually will create more fuel than is needed for its two nuclear plants - suggests that South America's biggest nation may be rethinking its commitment to nonproliferation.

''Brazil is following a path very similar to Iran, but Iran is getting all the attention,'' said Marshall Eakin, a Brazil expert at Vanderbilt University. ''In effect, Brazil is benefiting from Iran's problems.''

You can find the rest of the article here: and here is a rather interesting Global Security overview of Brazil's capabilities and political situation.

So why aren't the US invading Brazil, but are threatening Venezuela with a carrier group and going halfway across the world to trash Iran?

I have an idea of something that those two countries have, that Brazil doesn't... can you guess what it is?

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Very interesting story....

Give me an 'O'

Give me an 'I'

Give me an 'L'

What does it spell?

Invade Iran..........

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 05:19 AM
link   
There goes Brazils image of crazy soccer and amazing surfers.
I have never heard about this before, but obviously that info is correct. What sort of relations does Brazil have with the U.S., does anyone know? I mean, I doubt they would be as bad as Iraq's were, but then again, I have no idea. And how about a crackpot dictator?

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   
If this was about oil, it would be easier for the US to "fabricate" reasons to invade Venezuela. Much closer, and will probably cost much less due to a less extensive logistical support network. I personally do believe Iran is after nukes, I'll have to research Brazils intentions a bit more before I come to a conclusion about them.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   
You know I can't remember the last time Brazil took hostages, or sent suicide bombers to kill people, or funded terrorist organizations. Maybe it's because they haven't been threatening the US and Isreal for decades.. Maybe they don't have religios fanatics running it.. Could that be why.
And I like to see the article where it says the US is going to invade Venazuela. And from a reputable news outlet,not Joes news and sporting goods please.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   

You know I can't remember the last time Brazil took hostages, or sent suicide bombers to kill people, or funded terrorist organizations.

I can't remember the last time the Iran took hostages, or sent suicide bombers or even sponsored terrorists. The United States has probably sponsored more terrorist organizations than any other country.

Maybe it's because they haven't been threatening the US and Isreal for decades..

When was the last time Iran threatened the US?

Maybe they don't have religios fanatics running it..

It's a shame the same cant be said for the US.

I can't say I'm surprised not to have heard of this until now. It's all about oil, theres no question about that. As for Iran posing a threat goes, as long as you dont piss on the hornets nest your not going to get stung.

[edit on 21/4/06 by theBman]

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by rich23
I have an idea of something that those two countries have, that Brazil doesn't... can you guess what it is?

What "oil" or more like Brazil does not support or sponsor world-wide terrorism and terrorists?

seekerof

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by theBman
I can't remember the last time the Iran took hostages, or sent suicide bombers or even sponsored terrorists. The United States has probably sponsored more terrorist organizations than any other country.

Really? No mention of Russia in that reference to the only US mention?
Iran has long supported, funded, and aided Hamas, Islamic Jihad, Hezbollah, etc.

When was the last time Iran threatened the US?

Umm, last week, when they threatened not only the US but the UK with 40,000 suicide bombers? Hello?!

It's a shame the same cant be said for the US.

You did purposely forget to include the UK, etc.?

seekerof

[edit on 21-4-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   
One of my best friends comes from recife on the northern coast in Brazil. he is articulate, well schooled, freedom loving guy whos also a member of the SF in Brazil. His family live in London, and we get togetherc as much as we can, and if hes got time we go to church ( Hes a staunch catholic) then shoot the breeze for a while.

We talked about this a while back, and as far as him and his people are concerned, the rest of the world has nothing to fear from a nuclear Brazil, far from it. They have a developing Navy, Air Force and Army, and are keen to step out onto the worlds stage as a staunch allie of freedom. The people of Brazil are a beautiful mix of modern and old, and I total enjoyed going out to stay last year.

What im trying to say is that it is every thing Iran is not. Iran IS a threat not just to Israel but to the whole of europe and needs to be stopped, where as Brazil is a peaceful friendly country with no axe to grind at all.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 09:01 AM
link   

What "oil" or more like Brazil does not support or sponsor world-wide terrorism and terrorists?

Again, an other accusation that Iran sponsors terrorism. I yet need to see any evidence of this.

If you are referring to the £30m in aid they have offered to Palestine after the USA and UK withdrew theirs after the Palestinian people elected Hamas as their new governing body. Then why dont we go and invade Russia they've just offered a great deal of cash to Hamas as well.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Ok seekerof I'll look into those terrorist connections. The point i was trying to put across is that they are no worse than us. And yes I'll admit that i would rather we delt with Iran than Brazil, but i think we would be over reacting in either case.

As for the threat of sending 40K suicide nutters our way, if I'm not mistaken and correct me if I'm wrong but wasnt that if we invaded them first. Because thats kind of like saying try and rob my house and i'll shoot you.

And yeh i forgot to mention Tony Blair he's dont one of my favorite people either.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 09:57 AM
link   
About US designs on Venezuela: the US is currently demonizing Hugo Chavez as the new Hitler. Why? He's using oil revenues to educate the poor amongst other things, plus he's standing up to Bush and also renegotiating with the multinationals.

Here's an ATS thread that gives a flavour of the debate, with contributions from a Venezuelan Chavez fan.

Here is a link that shows that Venezuela are, in their small way, trying to combat terrorism.

Here is a story that gives an idea of how much Venezuelan oil there is.

Here is a news item about Chavez throwing out ExxonMobil

Here's where Pat Robertson calls for his assassination. VERY Christian.

ROBERTSON: There was a popular coup that overthrew him [Chavez]. And what did the United States State Department do about it? Virtually nothing. And as a result, within about 48 hours that coup was broken;

Actually, that's not quite true. The US sponsored the coup in the first place: it's just that Chavez has such overwhelming support from his people, the coup fell apart almost immediately. Btw, the US of course said they had nothing to do with the coup, but only ONE country in the world recognised the legitimacy of the coup government, which happened within a few short hours of its news breaking. Can anyone guess which country that might have been? Duhhhh...

Here's one link to show that the US has moved a carrier group into the Caribbean.

Of course, it's not impossible that the US could use one of its proxies in the continent, like Colombia. You can see that there's been cross-border raids and terror activities going on for a few years.

And theBman - thanks for making my point:

As for the threat of sending 40K suicide nutters our way, if I'm not mistaken and correct me if I'm wrong but wasnt that if we invaded them first. Because thats kind of like saying try and rob my house and i'll shoot you.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
This is not new it has been going on for a while, including China now training military in south American also.

The administration has been warned that they are forgetting the issues on their own backyard because of Iraq and the middle east.

US is losing it's control of policies in South America.

And perhaps is to late now to get back that control.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Nahh.. The U.S. probably still has enough economic hitmen in South America. I don't think it's losing control of policies there.

[edit on 21-4-2006 by TheBandit795]

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   
What about North Korea, no invasion plans there.

Hmmm, oh yeah, no oil.

Yes, I believe it's true, the US is losing sight of events in their own backyard and elsewhere. The US is all bluff now, and other countries know it.
Too busy fighting a war that need not have been started.

GWB and his goons are the demise of a once great country. And if one denies that they are blissfully ignorant or retarded, one or the other or both.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Nahh.. The U.S. probably still has enough economic hitmen in South America. I don't think it's losing control of policies there.

I believe that is losing control, remember when US use to have bases and military around in South America?

That is gone now and it has been replaced by China training camps.

While the news has been on the complain of some experts on US policies no to many people has given any time or though to the matter.

I will have to disagree, US is to busy in Iraq and with the middle east oil wars to care about south America's woes.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   

While Brazil is more cooperative than Iran on international inspections

That right there is why Brazil isn't a problem. The deal with the NPT is you get nuke tech, but you also accept international oversight. Until the IAEA makes similar statements about Brazil as it has over Iran, there isn't much of a problem.

Well, that and the fact that Brazil hasn't labeled the US "The Great Satan", paid for international terrorism, have a theocratic government, religious leader as head, with a fanatic as its president, nor called for the destruction of its neighbhors simply because they are 'evil jews'.

But hey, whats the diference right?

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Perhaps Brazil has been keeping away from making to much fuss with the US, but the fact is that the communism is in the rise in South America, and Brazil and China has been doing plenty of business deals for the last two years.

I will not doubt that if Brazil start a nuclear program that I imagine they already have, China has a lot to do with how fast and how soon Brazil goals to become a nuclear power will be.

Then it will be just a matter of time until many other countries in South America will be heading the same nuclear path, including Venezuela.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Just too off topic

[edit on 21-4-2006 by Toadmund]

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund

No, grow your own dang trees
I don't want to sell our forests to China.

That is OK, Brazil is doing just that and more for China.

Also is supposed to be an alliance between Russia, India, China and Brazil to take over markets in South America and like that hindering the Global economical power of the US.

The problem with US and China is that China has money and plenty of it to invest and US has the best politicians in Washington and lobbyist that money can buy. . . When it comes to money. . . money doesn't discriminated between Democratic countries or Communist ones.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join