It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any war stories from Grandad? Lets hear them!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I never had the chance to hear any war stories from my granddad however my father was a radio operator in nam and this is one story ill always remember. He always told me the only thing he got to shoot in nam was a muskrat. He said it was about a 10' shot with his .45 and it took 3 shots to kill the damn thing due to the lack of mass damage a .45 does at close range. (.45's tend to go straight through rather than mushroom at close range) However he told me there was one night his platoon was camped out in a small gully on the side of a mountain when they started recieving fire from a "zipperhead" platoon on the side of the next mountain. The gunners in his platoon were unable to safely get into position to return the fire so after a few moments thought his CO gave the order to call in an air raid. My old man then put through the call and after i short while the aircraft started to come in, after lighting up the side of the mountain like the fourth of july the sun started to come up. The only thing left of the "zipperhead" platoon was a large crater. And the radio operator on the other end wanted to know if it was a confirmed kill.

My old man was overseas in nam for a couple years and i wouldnt even begin to venture a guess as to howmany air raids were called in by him. I do know though that he definatly did his part in attempting to win the war.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 04:57 AM
link   
My grandfather fought as a medic in Italy and later in France.

He told me about how in Italy they would hide and sleep in ditches and that he would hear people walking just beside him outside of the trench so the only way he could tell if it was a enemy or an ally in the middle of the night was to feel how their boots. The different sides tied there boots differently so he would reach up and feel the boots and if they were enemys he would pull out his knife and stab them.

<< 1  2   >>

join