It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Problem with Netscape 7.2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
My computer isn't new, but it's decent. It's a Compaq Presario model no#163881-004.
AMD-K6 3D processor, 56MB RAM. Running Win98 SE.
I've used Netscape since day one when it came out, I like it and I'm "used to" it.
I think the most stable version they ever had was 4.7.
I use IE ver 6 also, but mostly Netscape.
If I save a picture in IE (right-click, save image as) it is instant, right now, because it's already in the cache it doesn't have to download again.
In Netscape, if I do the same thing, it can take up to a minute to actually finish saving the image. In the mean time the computer acts as if it's locked up. The mouse moves fine but the links don't work and I can't scroll until it finishes saving the image.
I tried "about:config" in the location bar and added "browser.cache.memory.capacity" and changed the values to 1024, 2048, and 4096 one after the other and it didn't seem to help at all.
I'm not sure what to try next, Netscape.com support doesn't answer emails, ever.
Can anyone help?
BTW, in "about:config" you can make Netscape play a wave file after your download is complete. I found that kind of useful.

Thanks for any input!

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   
If it were me I would deffinately retire Netscape. If a company is not going to respond to the customers requests, they are not worth your time.

Im giving Firefox a chance soon, whenever I get around to actually downloading it when I am home. Its been many years since I have ever touched netscape.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I'm leaning toward agreeing with you about retiring Netscape. I've used it for years and it's been in a downward spiral since ver 4.7.
Doesn't FF require Win XP? XP won't run on this computer.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I still have Netscape 4.7 handy for when I need to save images unchanged, good quality software for its time. Since the day AOL took over they really messed Netscape, it's not worth crap anymore.

Firefox is doing well to save images as-is. If your computer can run this thing, this is the way to go.

MSIE is the worst ever for saving images unchanged, it keeps changing the format randomly, one day it convert a JPEG image to its crappy PJPEG format, the next day it decides to convert a JPEG to GIF or BMP for no apparent reason.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Just finally took a chance on Firefox now and let me say, wow!

This is amazingly faster than IE and ATS fits perfect in with my resolution.

I was always a critic and was stubborn, but give it a chance.

Mozilla Download

top topics

join