It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need help deciding

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I am 16 years old and I’m in Tenth grade. I have two years of school left. Next year I am supposed to start applying for colleges. But the thing is, I don’t really know what I want to do or where I should do it. It’s my dream to become an officer in the air force and that’s what I’m going to do, I’ve got my mind set on that. But again, I don’t know what to go to college for.

I always thought id major in computer technology and minor in astronomy. But as I get older I realize that the astronomy topic is more of a hobby/interest than a career field. So I figured id minor in business. But again, another dilemma. I don’t know what to do for computer major, and I don’t know what to do for business minor. I already know I don’t want to do designing or coding. But there’s so much more, unless I can just take a general computer applications/technology course. And for business id like to know what kind of businesses I can get into, or if, again, there’s a general business course. Or I could double major in computers and business. I want to get the combination right for the best chances of becoming an officer and making the most money, while in the military and during retirement. And last but not least, my final dilemma. I don’t know where to go to college. I’d like to go to a college rather than a community college. I’d like to stay closeish to home (western PA) but I wouldn’t mind venturing out too far.

I realize it’s my future and only I can make the decision. but like I said before, id like to get the most money, not that I want to sound greedy and I don’t think money is everything, but nobody really in my family is very comfortable financially, other than my uncle who is a retired air force sergeant, and he’s not doing all that much better than the rest of my family.

But anyhow, like I said I know its my decision but if someone’s maybe going through this process now or has done this or has any experience in this I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks a lot for reading,
Schmidt1989

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   
help, anyone? anyone out there?

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I was in your position 2 years ago. i left school had no idea what i wanted to do then i decided that i wanted to be in another country. i moved to Spain for a year then i came back and did a business course. i enjoyed it and now i am doing another business course got one year to go then i am going to uni for 4 years!!

so follow you gut instinct.

Oni x x

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Your not alone as everyone has been in your shoes before. Do something that is true to your heart, as you'll either regret it in the end or even worse be half way through and pack it in.

I am 3 years into a degree that I am debating on leaving and trying another course, which is probably worse than not even taking it in the first place.

So my thoughts are to whatever your heart wants to do, you go for it.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies, Ive always wanted to do something with computers. but ive already taken all the computer courses my school has to offer, other than Java. I took C++ last year and CAD designing and i hated both, so i already know coding and CAD is out of the question. This year ive done Computer applications (word, publisher, excel, everything) and Multimedia/Web design. I now know that i dont want to do web design but there are still so many fields like IT, Networking, ect. i think IT would be fun, but again i dont know anything about it, and i dont want to end up like programming, i dont want to hate my job (like everyone). And as for business i dont know really anything about it or anything about the stock market. And Oni, as a kid my goals were also moving to a different country, England. My mum is from there and i have alot of family there. i figured i always would move there and live the rest of my life. But in march of this year we went over to visit and i realized i do love it there, but i could never live there. Maybe its just me being a home town boy but i realized theres no greater place in the world than america, no matter how f***ed up our government is. but besides my life story, I guess i still have time to make my mind up.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Oh yeah, and another thing, i thaught maybe i could go to college for a few years in england, (Croydon College) because my grandpa is retired now and he lives close, and i am a citizen of both the UK and the US. then finish a major in business there, come back, tae a major course in computer/technology, then join the airforce, but wouldnt that put me really deep in debt, and also, id be roughly 26 when i was done with both colleges by then, and id like to start a family before then, but i cant start one in england becuase what if she wasnt into leaving the country?

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
ll aww i think you are thinking far to much about whats going to happen,

why not just follow your heart and see where you end up, A family ect will happen when it happens and will fit in,

Its great though that you think about that, But honest you are young, go with the flow as they say lol,

you can always make changes as you go along,

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
bump bump bump bump

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
What do you like to do? Try to take a hobby and make a job out of it. Then it's not much of a job, but you're still getting paid!

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
What you do is your decision to make. However, I will give you one bit of advice:

Grab every opportunity that is given to you. Set your goal and make sure you hit it and don't let anybody get in the way of you and your future. Work solidly in these next few years and in the future you'll be damn glad you did. You get out what you put in.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
May I suggest CSV (Community Service Volunteers) as a year out option in the UK.
I've met a few American's who volunteer in the UK, through CSV for a year, they say there are US based organisations that act as a go between yourself and CSV.

But any volunteer work is good, CSV is just very organised and I've nothing but praise for them

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Wizard, that sounds generous and a good idea.

I thaught this would maybe help some of you, this is my background in highschool education, sort of my 'resume'

Computer programming (C++)
CAD Computer Assisted Drafting
Multimedia/Web design
Computer Applications
32 Hours completed Community Service
2 Spanish courses taken

I plan on taking AP Chemistry and AP Language & Composition in my next two years here.

Also, my uncle told me to learn a trade while in the military, not join the infantry. He said theres not much call for killers when you retire, lol. So i was thinking maybe electrician?

[edit on 4/18/2006 by Schmidt1989]

top topics

join