It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what happens during meditation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Ok so am ne to ATS and I am hoping some of u will be able to assist me here. I have been trying to work on meditating but never really could get into it. Today was the first day i actually could. Well during my meditation I felt this force like thing moving me. I was listening to meditation music to help me concentrate. well I felt like a force lift my hands and somewhere i think i opened my eyes and felt like i was still meditating i stood up and raised my hands to the sky......i sat back down and placed my hands back where they originally were......i was breathing my normal meditation breathing in thru the nose and out the mouth....well i dunno what happened....but i tiwtched mostly and u dunno it was weird...i didnt feel normal...what happened? What is suppose to happen during meditation? was i suppose to project but didnt? I hope someone can answer me

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Wow, amazing experience ;p

Meditation is hard to explain, because so many things can happen when you're new at it. There are many virtues you can practice.. some deeper then others.

So forms of meditation involve listening to loud ambience music, blindfolding yourself, and just singing adlib and pounding the floor to release unwanted spirits.

Other forms of meditation consist of looking deep inside your soul to find and establish a link to your inner self. Kinda like giving your soul a name and acknowledging it exists as a seperate entity.

What you experienced is probably the most therapudic (sp) method I encounter. There's many ways to do it, but your meditation involved a "release" or "spiritual cleansing" so to speak. By standing up, volunteerily, you performed a ritual that in your mind would invoke the spirits, and threw your arms up in a sort of spiritual religious outpour.

I bet you're still freaking out about it. What did it mean? Why did I do that?

Don't sweat it. ;p Sometimes it just happens.

After awhile you'll be able to control which type of meditation you perform, and use it to your advantage. Like me, I stand on an isolated rail line at night. When the 13 mile long train comes rolling through at at 55 miles per hour, I stand about 2 feet away from the train and throw myself into meditation. I think about every single item I want to release from my mind while staring at thousands of pounds of steel flying past my view. When the train passes, and instantly theres nothing but a massive gust of wind, all of my problems are gone in a sudden SWOOSH.

Welcome to ATS.. we go deep here ;p

Edit addition:
Oh btw, I'm not crazy. I worked on the raillines for half my life and I know not to get too close ;p I highly recommend NOT doing this unless you are comfortable with the structural limits of railcars! (Or do it from much farther away!)

[edit on 4/16/2006 by QuietSoul]

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Sometimes letting your mind and body go during meditation causes this. It can truly be an invigorating experience if you allow yourself to succumb control.

My deepest meditation consisted of me laying in my bed crucifying myself. I wasnt actually crucified, but my body focused on the actual event, as if it were happening. I remember throwing my arms out, crossing my feet and arching my back up and holding myself up by the arms. I sat in the position for almosts 10 minutes while I spoke outloud and gave myself to the lord begging to be his servant.

When I couldnt hold myself up any longer, I collapsed to the bed and fell out of meditation.. was truly an event I wouldnt have done otherwise in meditation.

One serious thing about meditation that you should know about before totally releasing yourself like that is you're leaving yourself very vulnerable. If you beleive in a higher being, then you must believe there is a lower, more dark, being. If you don't acknowlegde this entity, you wont be able to control yourself if it influences your meditation by making you see or feel things you truly don't want to experience.

Doing meditation is alot like doing the popular drug known as Acid. If you go into with a clear mind, and a good open atmosphere, it will be the best experience in the world. (Don't do drugs kids). If you go into thinking about bad things, the bad things will engulf your experience and make it the most miserable experience you could be in.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I don't actually practice the releasing kind of meditation, as you (QuietSoul) describe, I practice vipassana (insight) at the moment, but am planning to of course open up to the horizon.

I can tell you one thing though, that QuietSoul hit the nail on the head with the "bad thing.. bad experience".

Last night, I had a large dinner, followed by a bowl of ice-cream. I was close to through it all up, but kept it down for the sake of it. Anyway, I knew I shoulden't meditate on full stomach, but I thought "I'll give it a go...". Well not to my surprise, I coulden't concentrate, because my belly was acheing. I ended up going to bed right after.

I had become a psychological wreck. I shifted between consciousness and unconsciousness. I had a hard time understanding reality and if I was having a lucid dream. I knew in my very mind that it was all in my head, but something had totally possessed my mind. I remember I sat up one hour trying to understand what the clock was.

I shifted between laugher to crying to rambling stuff about how I should recharge a battery with my hands.

Don't let this frighten you... But instead see it as knowledge information, and heed QuietSoul's words. For they are wise

[edit on 16-4-2006 by Volatile]

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   
When Words Fail

Originally posted by Chassy0719
What is suppose to happen during meditation?

Results tend to vary from person to person and over time.

However, if I were to answer the question of what happens in meditation in a single sentence, it would be something like this:

The indescribable.

The universe within you awaits your command.

Enjoy the journey of discovery that is uniquely yours to experience.

Magic Mirror

Oh, and ditto what QuietSoul said. There is no need for fear, and what you put in is what you get back.

Focus on fear and darkness, and impenetrable depths of fear and darkness will torment you.

Focus on love and light, and infinite vistas of love and light will be yours to roam in bliss and wonder.

In practice, we all walk paths of light and darkness, and in doing so, we grow.

As above, so below.

new topics

top topics

join