It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duke accuser caught drunk on the night in question?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
www.newsday.com...

So if she was drunk, can the police department get an apology from the black community for claiming once again race was an issue when the fact of the matter was she was flat drunk before hand?

her credibility goes right out the window......

Do the cops always get a bad rap as racists if they dont bend to the demands of the black community?

[edit on 14-4-2006 by XphilesPhan]

[edit on 14-4-2006 by XphilesPhan]

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I, too, heard on the radio today that she was found drunk in someone else's car, but the original reports that came out here was that she was cold stone sober at the time. I don't know if the reporter(s) had incomplete information that the police were suppressing for a bit or if they just jumped the gun because it is a contentious issue in that area - a "rich vs. poor" issue.

I am not sure that the black community as a whole owes those kids an apology if it is found that she was lying, as she was the one that made the original accusation.

Did she accuse the "white boys" of rape or did she accuse the "lacrosse team", which may have mostly white athletes on it? To me, some people in the media make the jump from "Mr. Smith, a white man" to "A white man, Mr. Smith" and then it becomes a racial issue.

JDub

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Rape is the process by which someone is forced to do an act [normally sexual] against their will. In many cases, the person in question also has to actually say they desire not to go through with the action in question.

If the woman was drunk or not, itself isn' a question. In fact, she could have been drunk as it isn't uncommon for such a thing to happen at such parties when a stripper is there. It is also possible, something was placed in her drink to give such an affect however the toxicology reports can take several days to be completed and jumping the gun and saying she is drunk could be heavily insulting.

The fact the district attorny believes a crime has been commited, does paint the picture that the priliminary results have came back as positive. Furthermore, it would help to explain why the players were DNA tested - however these have came back negative. Also, the reports say she "seemed drunk". I've worked with people who have been raped and more often than not such drugs do make it seem as though the person is heavily drunk - resulting in many such cases, never being reported.

Furthermore, the media seems to be making this out as a race issue. When you file a report during a crime you have to give a discription. If the three people who [allegedly] attacked her, were white. She has to state this and then the media turns around and goes "WHITE RAPIST ROAR ROAR ROAR."

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Oh boy. This is yet another case where I had to look at Skippy before I answered. So, before I comment on what I feel about this occurrence, I am going to post two stories to add to the Newsmax article so that everyone has a clearer picture of what happened.

One comes from a Durham, NC news station demonstrating that the accuser was not drunk before the party. The caller described her condition after the party when the accuser was found at the grocery store:

Officer: Accuser 'Just Passed-out Drunk'

The description of the woman's medical exam -- which Nifong has said is his basis for believing a rape occurred -- does not mention her being drunk. It states only that the woman's injuries and behavior were consistent with having been raped, sexually assaulted and having suffered a traumatic experience.

The woman has told police she and another stripper hired to dance at the party arrived at 11:30 p.m. March 13. The pair reportedly left the house a short time later, fearing for their safety. The accuser told police the two were coaxed back into the house with an apology, at which point they were separated. That's when she said she was dragged into a bathroom and raped, beaten and choked for a half hour. At 12:53 a.m., police received a 911 call from a woman complaining that she had been called racial slurs by white men gathered outside the home where the party took place.

The defense has said it believes the second dancer at the party made that call. The 911 call from the grocery store security guard was placed at 1:22 a.m.In it, the caller says, "Um, the problem is ... it's a lady in somebody else's car and she will not get out of their car. She's like, she's like intoxicated, drunk or something. She's, I mean, she won't get out of the car, period. " A police spokeswoman did not immediately return a call seeking comment on the radio traffic.

The second comes from Newsweek which explains the case point by point:

A Troubled Spring at Duke

April 10, 2006 issue - A few—but only a few—facts are clear and uncontested. On the night of March 13, members of the Duke University lacrosse team, at the time ranked second in the nation, crowded into a small house rented by three of their captains to watch two exotic dancers perform. What happened next is very much a matter of dispute. There are at least two different scenarios, with vastly different implications for everyone involved.

According to the affidavit of a Durham, N.C., police officer, one of the strippers, an African-American woman, told the police she had been raped, sodomized, strangled and beaten by three of the partygoers. The story, with its heavy overtones of race and class, immediately popped onto front pages and TV screens around the country. Duke—an elite school known for its championship basketball teams and privileged, mostly white students—is located in a racially mixed neighborhood in a city that is part Tobacco Road, part Research Triangle. Duke lacrosse players (like lacrosse players at many other top schools) have a reputation for swagger and rowdiness. (In the past three years, 15 of the 47 current members of the team have been arrested for minor charges like holding an open beer in public.).

All I have to say is that the initial DNA test found no matches. However, it could be possibly surmised that the aggressors--whoever they were--might have been more clever than thought.

I will also say that something untoward allegedly happened in that house. What it was, I don't know. But, when the accuser was found in the car, she was clearly traumatized. Just because a caller (not the woman) says that the accuser was drunk, does not mean she was. The accuser had a medical examination which found consistencies with trauma. That also told me that something brutal happened before she reached the grocery store.

There will be a grand jury hearing on Monday, in which I will be awaiting its findings.

But, I wonder what the Black Lacrosse player on Duke's team has to say about this. Why isn't he speaking--either in support of the victim or the team?

[edit on 15-4-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   

SourceTwo Duke University lacrosse players were arrested early Tuesday on charges of raping and kidnapping a stripper hired to dance at an off-campus party, and the district attorney said he hopes to charge a third person soon.

The indictments, unsealed Tuesday, did not indicate what possible evidence or arguments led the grand jury Monday to indict Reade Seligmann and Collin Finnerty, both 20. District Attorney Mike Nifong would not discuss the evidence.

XphilesPhan, I seem to be noticing you've been jumping the gun of late. In cases like this, things tend to take time and as can be seen now the charges are being placed against members of the team.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The woman may well have been in shock, which is why the caller may have thought she was drunk. It also appears that she was cold sober when she arrived at the house, at the very least.
This kind of "frat house" behavior is very common, lots of women are raped at these kind of parties, and often they were given drugs or someone tried to get them drunk so they could rape them.
And why should the black community apologize? What did they do?

new topics

top topics

join