It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A world of illusion

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by firebat
Here's something I read in The Holographic Universe (I think) and also heard it from David Icke... I don't know if I remember all the details but this is the general jist:

The book tells about a hypnotist who hyponotizes a woman into believing she couldn't see her daughter, who was also present. Sure enough, the woman could not see her own daughter. Next, the hypnotist places a watch in his hand and holds it agains the back of the daughter, hidden from view of the mother. The odd thing was, when the hypnotist asked the mother what was in his hand, she immediately identified it as a watch and even described it accurately. She couldn't see her daughter, because she was hypnotized, but she could see a watch being held BEHIND her daughter's back... perhaps because to her, reality was that her daughter was not there. Perhaps we're all hypnotized and the secret to it all is for us to realize that either we create our reality or we have our reality created for us.

So this illusion thing goes far deeper than false advertising. It's very interesting.

The greater illusion being, all three were working together, Amazing huh?

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Proton,
Your above link doesn't appear to work. Maybe you typed it in incorrectly.

The Illusion of Freedom is another.

Many believe they are free especially in the Western world.
Freedom is of course relative.
-We are free as long as we do not break any of the increasing number of laws being passed to 'limit' our freedom. (remember, they're supposedly for our own protection)
-We are free to travel where we want providing we obey all the road laws and have the money to pay for the ever increasing petrol prices.
-We are free to vote for whom we choose at election time even though it's usually not much of a choice when we think about it. (substituting one master for another)
-We are free (and very much encouraged) to put ourselves into long term debt with loans of all descriptions, ranging from credit card to home loans.
-We are free to choose which bank will rip us off with increasing transaction fees.
And the list goes on..........

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   
The link wasn't meant to work.

Freedom can be viewed as an illusion I suppose. But wouldn't it technically be a self-imposed illusion?

We are free as long as we do not break any of the increasing number of laws being passed to 'limit' our freedom. (remember, they're supposedly for our own protection)

Should we then allow everyone to do as they please? Murder? Rape? Rob? All for the sake of ultimate true freedom?

We are free to travel where we want providing we obey all the road laws and have the money to pay for the ever increasing petrol prices.

Should we then allow people to drive drunk or under the influence of drugs and put their live's and other's in danger? Should we make petrol production a free enterprise when such thing's aren't a necessity for existance? All for the sake of true ultimate freedom?

We are free to vote for whom we choose at election time even though it's usually not much of a choice when we think about it. (substituting one master for another)

Should we then have no leader's at all? No governments? No police? No military to protect us?

We are free (and very much encouraged) to put ourselves into long term debt with loans of all descriptions, ranging from credit card to home loans.

You are also free to be responsable and not get into debt. Not to get a credit card (imo an idiotic thing to do). Your also just as free to live within your means, and in many cases you can get by with just doing that alone. Hell, I do it without a problem.

We are free to choose which bank will rip us off with increasing transaction fees.

Your also free to not use banks, such as me. Banks are horrible, dunno why anyone uses them. Imo, gotta be pretty clueless to use one. Nothing wrong with a decent sized safe box under the bed.

Most of these "illusions" your stating are self imposed by you, by me, by our next door neighbors, by every person in america. By every person on this planet.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Prot0n

Originally posted by firebat
Here's something I read in The Holographic Universe (I think) and also heard it from David Icke... I don't know if I remember all the details but this is the general jist:

The book tells about a hypnotist who hyponotizes a woman into believing she couldn't see her daughter, who was also present. Sure enough, the woman could not see her own daughter. Next, the hypnotist places a watch in his hand and holds it agains the back of the daughter, hidden from view of the mother. The odd thing was, when the hypnotist asked the mother what was in his hand, she immediately identified it as a watch and even described it accurately. She couldn't see her daughter, because she was hypnotized, but she could see a watch being held BEHIND her daughter's back... perhaps because to her, reality was that her daughter was not there. Perhaps we're all hypnotized and the secret to it all is for us to realize that either we create our reality or we have our reality created for us.

So this illusion thing goes far deeper than false advertising. It's very interesting.

The greater illusion being, all three were working together, Amazing huh?

Even if all three were working together, that was just an example. There are instances of this kind of thing all over the place, recorded and documented.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Another illusion is that of "Consensus Reality".

Much of general knowledge we more or less take as truth/reality is learned at school and from books, whether it is geography, geology, history, science, biology,
etc.
Much of this knowledge is considered beyond reproach to many.
Much of it may in deed be true, but certainly much of it simply appears to be true.

For example 'history' as is often said, 'is written by the victors'.
With that premise in mind, can we be certain, with any degree of accuracy, that a particular event that is said to have happened, say 1'500 years ago, actually happened the way it is now currently taught, if in deed at all.

The daily news is generally gathered through mediums such as newspapers, TV, and the internet.
The current 'victors' are largely in control of what goes to print/to air (and what does not) and what passes for 'news' these days. Certain sites on the internet may be considered the exception. This may not always be the case.

[edit on 28-4-2006 by point]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I often pondered this, point. After a perido of time passes how do we know anything in histroy actually happened. The more time that goes by, the less evidence there is to corroborate history and the more doubt is able to creep in. Of Course this could be working against the truth too, enabling actual true events to deteriorate into myths unjustly. It may only be the victors at present that control history rather than the victors throughout history?

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prot0n

Originally posted by mytym
Spiritual and religious are not interchangeable. Elements of religion fall into the spectrum of spirituality, but spirituality encompasses much more than the religious aspect that you seem so drawn to.

[edit on 23/4/06 by mytym]

Yes mytym, your views are the only right views. What most people have come to see the two as are absolutley wrong. The definitions of the two words are absolutley wrong. Everyone should listen to you mytym, for only you have the correct views. Yes, the guy unwilling to do something as simple as learn more about that which he abhors so much has all the right answers. We should set up a new forum for all your views. www.RealityAccordingToMytym.org...

Try not to look up the two, wouldn't want you to learn about how the majority of the populace views these two words.

I'd have to agree with mytym on this one. Spiritualism and Religion are not interchangable. Religion is what happens when politics corrupts spiritualism and tries to give it a structure. A man can believe in no god or system, and yet maintain a powerful spirituality of the self. Spiritualism goes along with the power and unity of oneself to a particular creedo, while Religion is the box given to outfit the spirit. You see, it IS possible that religion can refer to Spiritualism and vice versa, but they are inarguably different things.

Religion-Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe
Spiritualism-A philosophy or doctrine that emphasizes the spiritual aspect of being.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 06:08 AM
link   
The illusion that the more popular support a particular theory or belief has , the closer it is to the actual truth.
Alternately the illusion that an unpopular theory or belief is necessarily far from the truth.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
The illusion that we are solely our bodies with no spiritual component.
The illusion that one's existence begins at birth and ends apon the death of one's physical body.

[edit on 5-6-2006 by point]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join