It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The hills have eyes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I watch a lot of horror movies...

and this is the only one that I've actually had scare me..

and now I'm interested in the subject of the nuclear testing in new mexico etc ...

I know they tested nuclear weapons...

but are there actually mutants out there???

I probably sound stupid, but this movie was truely disturbing.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Equineartist7
I watch a lot of horror movies...

and this is the only one that I've actually had scare me..

and now I'm interested in the subject of the nuclear testing in new mexico etc ...

I know they tested nuclear weapons...

but are there actually mutants out there???

I probably sound stupid, but this movie was truely disturbing.

Disturbing it was my friend. Make you think twice about taking that short cut someone advices in la futura won't it. Yeah no thanks man I'll take the two hours longer rout. Ah I suppose its only a movie though nothing like that ever happens.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   
ya i dout there are any mutants out in the nevada desert but if you really wanted to find out why not take an RV with a couple of buds and go see for urself...

be sure to bring a shot gun jus in case

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Well, it was actually widely publicized during that time that there were cases of many, many mutations among animals, and even reports of towns that were relatively close to the Nuclear Tests experience human mutations that were in turn blamed on the nuclear testing. I'm not sure any of these were ever confirmed. However, I know that 'villages' were used in the Nuclear Tests. Which sort of goes along with the story line. They would have villages in various places in relation to the bomb to see what type of damage the nuclear weapon would deal to the village based on their location. So it's probable that there might have been human mutations; probably not to the extent that the movie showed. This is probably one of my three favorite horror movies ever, probably #2. I think Wes Craven's storyline here is simply gold, and the way the movie is made is really original to me. I still need to watch the original, but I've heard that it has scared people even now, even though the low-budget technology used almost 30 years ago to make it is all but obsolete now. Just a random fact, it was also rated X when it first got its rating, and Wes Craven had to cut and change parts of it to bring it down to the R rating, and I don't think it had anything to do with sexual conduct. Pretty interesting, the original director's cut is now said to be nonexistant. I'd really like to see it just because this horror movie has really shown much more of an impact on me than just about any other I have ever seen. The nuclear testing was a large part of it though.

Good Movie though.

-Omniscient

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Good movie? Scary? Good thing you people dont do reviews for a living.

I am a huge horror movie buff (i have seen almost all of them) and this has to be, not just one of the worst horror movies, but one of the worst films ever made.

The fact that the original poster was scared by this is completely dumbfounding. I really thought the scene where the freakazoid gets stabbed through the neck with an emerican flag was very scary(sarcasm). Oh and the part where he stabs the guy through the foot with a screwdriver was a direct rip off of a scene in True Romance. Also the freakazoid in the wheelchair was a direct rip off of a net flick called rubber johnny (here check it out for yourself www.ebaumsworld.com... )

The acting was terrible, the storyline was simplistic and non realistic, bottom line! Obvoiusly you people havent seen enough good movies to know what a bad one is. THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE! How can you not realize that this film is aimed at an idiotic audience? Im not the only one with this viewpoint, the movie got terrible reviews all over the board! Stop smoking that cheeba and maybe your opinions will represent a more coherant thought process.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   
What did I think?

doo 2 tha doo

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Well I certainly would never watch it again in this life time. It was just a good excuse to go the the movies really. I thought it sucked hard to be honest with you. But hey they gotta keep coming up with womething don't they? Nobody wants to see all those ugly people.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   
As far as the film goes.. it was incredibly disturbing although I would not say scary.
As far as the idea of real mutants in the desert.. well of course there are.
When living things are exposed to that kind of radiation you get mutations.. and no the government does not give a crap about them.
However.. the idea that they are bloodthirsty, insane and filled with hate.. is most likely fiction.. There may be a few that are.. but there are normal unmutant humans like that too.
One of my concerns is that this movie promotes more fear and intolerance to people that are different.. I think that is wrong.

Now...

As for my experience in this movie.. I was made aware of a horrible issue we have with movie theatre's and young children in R rated movies.
This is my husbands account of our experience.

So, we are sitting in the back row waiting for it to start. And this family comes marching in. 2 adult males, 1 adult female, 1 what looked like a 11 year old, 1 what looked like a 6 year old and 1 what looked like a 2 MAYBE 3 years old.

Movie starts, we had no idea just how graphic this movie was going to be, but had an idea. And sure enough, it lived up to and beyound those expectations...

Anyway, as we were getting into the rape scene and past it, I really started getting peesed off. Here are these young little children, watching this movie. Perhaps not understanding the language, as the family were hispanic, but nontheless, graphic violence is universal.

Finally I decided to go out and find out what the age limit was supposed to be on R rated movies.

Low and behold, a guy had just asked the same question, prompted by the same people, just 1 minute before me, infact we passed in the hall..

So I ask this guy, and gal behind the counter. They inform me that at this time of night, anyone 4 years old and over can be in a R rated movie, with adult supervision. I told them that atleast one of the children were most likely under 4. There reply to me was: "There really is nothing we can do about it, if they want to bring them to the movie". I told them that just was not right, and they should check on it.

About 20 minutes passes, and no one comes in to question the adults.

Now I am really peesed off. I go out, and find the young woman I spoke to earlier in the hall. I confront her about this. and tell her I want to talk to a manager. She says she is one of the managers.

I tell her that there is no way in hell that one of the children is 4 or over, he was nursing on a bottle for Gods Sake. She starts telling me there is nothing she can do about it, and my reply to her is this: "The hell there isnt. You are going to go in there right now, and you are going to confirm the age of that child. If you dont, I swear to God I will take this a hell of a lot further. And that I would gurantee her there was no way this child was beyound 4 years old..."

She said she would after she handled another matter.

Finally 10 minutes later, they come in. She sits down behind the adults, speaks to the woman holding the baby, and sure enough, the kid isnt old enough. The woman, baby, and youngest child end up leaving the movie..

Had I just left it at this airhead/robot saying there was nothing they could do about it, these little kids would have had to endure this crap for another 45 minutes or so..

K, so now here is my rant...

First, parents that take children of that age to movies of those types, should be slapped to within an inch of their lives.

Second, I can NOT believe there is such a law. Allowing 4 year olds into R rated movies, supervision or not. I am going to research this one, and if confirmed, I am going to start writing some letters. They may do nothing, but atleast I will feel like I am doing something about this BS.

We wonder why little Jimmy and Jane become desensitized towards violance, and decide to take out their classroom with a shotgun one morning. Well, this may not be the primary reason, but it sure as crap doesnt help in the healthy formulation of a little persons being, at such a mallable age.

Something really needs to be done about these laws allowing children over 4 in R rated movies.. wheather they are with a parent or not.. it is just not good for their psychological well being.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by nephyx
Good movie? Scary? Good thing you people dont do reviews for a living.

I am a huge horror movie buff (i have seen almost all of them) and this has to be, not just one of the worst horror movies, but one of the worst films ever made.
How can you not realize that this film is aimed at an idiotic audience? Im not the only one with this viewpoint, the movie got terrible reviews all over the board! Stop smoking that cheeba and maybe your opinions will represent a more coherant thought process.

I believe whether a movie is "good" or not is STRONGLY opinionated and not fact. What you see as absolutely scary and horrifying could be a humor fest for another. Don't be so biased as to completely throw out other's opinions. Most of the people who do reviews for a living don't appreciate the common themes that are popular among the general audience, and instead give praise to anything that might be different from the 'norm', which most of the time are what the general audience considers to be the worst films. You can't be that big of a horror movie buff if you target this movie as a symbol of bad acting; horror movies are the mothership of bad acting. In fact, I have seen very few horror movies in which the acting wasn't subpar or mediocre to say the least. Perhaps your opinions don't represent enough of a thought process. Perhaps all movies shouldn't be judged by the acting in them or how much they "scared" you, but instead by the vision that the director had as they were piecing the storyline together. I, personally, think Wes Craven is at least a partial-genius, and if the remake is your definition of a subpar horror movie, then maybe you COULD be right; but if you are implying that the original "The Hills Have Eyes" is subpar among horror movies for the same "bad acting", then you aren't looking deep enough into the movie and are stuck on the surface that the general audience may seem to absorb.

The part of these movies I appreciate is the storyline that Wes Craven put together in the original; I don't allow myself to be entirely clouded by the actors and typical "scare-tactics" used in the movie. And if that makes me a horrible movie-rater, then so be it, because in my minds, that's how movies should be judged in some contexts'.

In addition, the original "The Hills Have Eyes" is considered by many to be a symbol of horror in that period, along with others, such as the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Psycho. These movies invoked true fear in their viewers at the time period in which they were released. A problem with horror movies today is that many of the storylines aren't even as scary as what's happening out there in the real world, so naturally it's not going to scare us as much as it might of 30 years ago when imaginary situations couldn't be so easily assembled.

If you truly thing the The Hills Have eyes is that horrible, can you please give me examples of a few horror movies that are far superior, in storyline, acting, and "scare-level" and explain your reasoning both behind what makes "The Hills Have Eyes" stand out as a particular bad horror movie, and what makes the horror movies that you think are good, good.

Forgive me if this is hard to understand. I was thinking way faster than I was typing on this. Seems to be happening alot to me lately.

-Omniscient.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I would actually like to add on to that a bit.

Some people find different topics in horror movies scary while others don't.

Some people enjoy watching mass blood and gore and popouts, and it doesn't scare them to say the least. But if those same people watch eerie alien-related films, they might be totally frightened.

There are certain things that can trigger peoples mental instability and provoke fear within that person, while those same thing might have a humorous effect on another person. While to you, The Hills Have Eyes may not be the least bit scary, you have to understand that to others, the idea of being stranded in the desert while be watched by psychotic miners that have gone through a great deal of personal distress because of the United States government might be quite frightening indeed.

In some cases, the people who claim that nothing scares them and that all horror movies are humor fests might be the ones that are actually frightened by all horror movies, and in turn, to hide their fear, state that all these horror movies are ludicrous in their ideas, and are nothing more than cheap Hollywood scare tactics.

All I'm asking is that you please take the time to see it from the other side before you so hastily allow your opinion on the subject to blind you from any others. You seemed to accuse anyone who did not share your opinion of being an ignorant fool who had no idea what they were talking about when it came to the field of movies-period.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Oh my god... So much writing for such a dead end topic. The hills have eyes isnt a movie, its a pieced together crap wagon of american propoganda and worn out scare tactics. Any movie that just has jump out scenes the entire time and no depth doesnt lead to fear it leads to shock and discomfort. This movie has no aspects that are truly psychological, its a movie for idiotic 17 year olds who like to scream during films.

As far as good horror movies are concerned.. lets see here.

Nightmare on Elm Street (the first), Friday the 13th (the first), Pet Cemetary(first one) , Amityville horror (the real one), Event Horizons, The Excorcist, Lost Highways, Blair Witch

Just my two cents.. not trying to ATTACK anyone, i just cant reason with opinions that the hills have eyes is a good flick.. I mean.. Theres a proud scene where some guy stabs a mutant in the head with the american flag and people started cheering.... Need i say more?

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by nephyx
As far as good horror movies are concerned.. lets see here.
Nightmare on Elm Street (the first), Friday the 13th (the first), Pet Cemetary(first one) , Amityville horror (the real one), Event Horizons, The Excorcist, Lost Highways, Blair Witch

Well, I just wanted to say that I don't always appreciate movies for how much the "scare tactics" affect me. Maybe I even look deeper into the storyline than really exists in the first place, but I still liked this movie a lot.

As for your movies, I can definately agree with you on Pet Cemetary, and the original Amityville horror. Though it's kind of hard for the Amityville horror to have any effects on you if you watch it next to a digitally mastered horror movie. But if you watch it when your home alone with the lights out and no one else home, it can still get to you. :shk:

As for the Exorcist, excellent use of "subliminals" to add to the effect of that movie. This movie is, and will probably always be in the "hall of fame" for horror movies.

Never seen Lost Highways or Event Horizons, but I could maybe see how you got Nightmare on Elm Street. I never really though Friday the 13th movies were anything more than cheap slash-and-thrill movies, similar to what you think about The Hills Have Eyes.

top topics

join