It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gold hits $600. Silver at $13

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
Well in 1933 in the USA didn't gold become prohibited to own? I thought they confiscated a load of it?

That's assuming the government would actually survive an ecomomic collapse of that magnitude again, and if they could even enforce siezing precious metals after the anarchy ensued. Plus all the public gold and silver in the US would hardly even dent the national debt. Smart depression era investors should also supplement his/her investment with guns, drugs, fuel and food, or has a great escape plan to flee the country.

A NEW GOLD SEIZURE: POSSIBILITY OR PARANOIA?
The occasion for a seizure would be a monetary and banking crisis so severe that it threatened the continued existence of the Federal Reserve System, the solvency of the Treasury, and even the functioning of the entire domestic economy. In such a situation, a nationwide financial panic would ensue, probably worse than anything experienced during the 1930s.

Silver is the play that may prove higher returns.
Experts advise no hurry to sell family silver -Reuters
A Metal to Unite Them All by The Mogambo Guru

The superconducting wire market may consume 50 million ounces of silver or more every year, within the next decade, according to US Department of Energy estimates. Additional testing and analysis are required before HTSbased maglev trains could be put in service on a regular basis. American Superconductor estimates that the total potential HTS wire requirement for a full, commercial maglev train system for the Tokyo-Osaka run exceeds 100 million meters (62,137 miles). pdf file

Check these monster coins out:
3kg (6.6 pound) Russian silver coin.
31kg (68 pound) Austrian gold coin
Try carrying those around in your pocket.

Greenspan was big on Rand and he probably agrees with smallpeeps that those Federal Reserve notes may one day end up as TP or bird cage liners.

Whenever destroyers appear among men, they start by destroying money, for money is man's protection and the base of moral existance. Destroyers seize the GOLD and leave to its owners a counterfit pile of paper. This kills all objective standards and delivers men into the arbitrary power of an arbitrary setter of values. Gold was an objective value, an equivalent of wealth produced. Paper is a mortgage on wealth that does not exist, backed by a gun aimed at those who are expected to produce it. Paper is a check drawn by legal looters upon an account which is not theirs; upon the virtue of the victims. Watch for the day it bounces, marked, "Account Overdrawn." ~Ayn Rand

We might consider the Patriot Act was not designed by the Bush regime to protect the U.S. from terrorism from the outside. It was actually designed to protect the elitists from social upheaval from within.

A wise risk aversion investor might want to keep their pm's in a overseas banks, like in Switzerland

[edit on 13-4-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
actually the price of precious metals, specifically gold, has remained consistant for over 200 years. No BS...when you take into account changes in currency, inflation and all that, the price of gold has consistantly hoovered between 4 and 500 an ounce with occiosional spikes and drops. I don't know about silver, but my source for this was a national geographic a couple years back. i have watched since then and it seems accurate.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Gold is now at $617!!!

finance.myway.com...

Here's also more information on how it's not too late to buy gold. $850 1980 is equals $2150 in 2006 when you calculate inflation.

www.financialsense.com...

[edit on 17-4-2006 by TheBandit795]

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Ok it would be smart now for anyone here who has a large sum of money in a savings account (not IRA's) to exchange it for precious metals. By the end of the year the metals alone will have earned you more than the interest paid by the regualr savings in your bank has paid over the past 5 years. It may even yield more than cd's.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Gold at $636!!!

*faints*

goldprice.org...

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Gold Reaches 25-Year High, Silver Surges on Inflation Concern

Oil: $72.05
Gold: $642.50
Silver: $14.635

Commodities skyrocketed today, media says it's because of Iran tensions. Dollar tanking from the Fed flooding the market with liquidity might be the other reason.

NYBOT US Dollar Index
tfc-charts.w2d.com...

IMF steps up pressure for dollar depreciation
The International Monetary Fund on Wednesday stepped up the pressure for far-reaching shifts in exchange rates, declaring that the dollar will have to depreciate “significantly” over the medium term if global economic imbalances are to be resolved in an orderly fashion.

The World Economic Outlook also cautioned against becoming complacent about high oil prices. It said consumers may still be treating current increases as temporary, rather than permanent losses. With excess capacity low, the market is vulnerable to shocks.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Survival America by The Mogambo Guru
I notice with dark dismay that the horrid U.S. Federal Reserve is now back on track to destroy the dollar as soon as it can, as evidenced by the fact that Total Fed Credit shot up by $6.4 billion, last week. With the current insanely low fractional-reserve ratio of the banks set by the Fed (literally zero for new deposits), this means that the banks can create (let me re-check the calculations again) 64 zillion-kajillion dollars out of thin air, all of which devalues the rest of the dollars already in existence.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

New Product: Federal Reserve Charmin

[edit on 19-4-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Barclays silver etf opened today, hope you loaded up.

Silver ETF Hits the Market

Opened at $129 and now at $137, each ishare is worth 10 ounces of silver.
finance.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Buy physical silver bullion. Don't buy the ETF. The reasons?

If you buy the ETF instead of buying silver bullion...

1. You'll pay tax on your capital gains (whereas bullion you can buy and sell privately);
2. You'll have no guarantee that the ETF will hold as much physical bullion as they claim.
3. If the fit hits the shan economically, (the dollar completely collapses, you can't withdraw cash from bank accounts, etc) you can trade physical bullion for necessities.
4. The point of owning precious metals is that they are a safe haven in times economic uncertainty. You benifit from owning the actual physical metal... not numbers on paper certificates saying how much bullion you own... in some vault, somewhere...

-S

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I've got a feeling that the silver vault will be like the social security vault, filled with IOU's. or the stock exchange, where on any given day, there are more people owning the company's stock than the company has stock issued. or the bank's even who have more claims against it from their people, than they have cash on hand. if it all were to have to be settled in a day or a week even, I don't think it would work...and many people would lose out...

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Savonarola
Buy physical silver bullion. Don't buy the ETF. The reasons?

Delivering, storing and selling 1000's of ounces of silver, having 1000's dollars in my home and using armored cars is not an option here and technically your suppose to report those private sales. The IRS will damn sure find out if your selling $10K+ in silver or gold bullion every week.

If the crap hits the fan while you sit on a pile of silver and gold, you don't worry about taxes. You worry about how good a shot you are and if you can trust your militia instead. I'll be in Bern having a capuchino since the idea of playing Mad Max in the Sonoran desert is best kept a fantasy.

Keep liquidity in other currencies, obtain dual citizenship and save that Armageddon hunker down financial planning for the woo woo crowd.

[edit on 30-4-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Well, lucky for me I'm Canadian (bullion is GST exempt). I'm not hunkering down in a bunker. I'm just remembering the 1930s when the only people protected from mass inflation were heavy into physical gold and silver.

Oh, and Regenmacher, diversifying into foreign currencies won't help much if there's a global recession or global inflation... or if you can't take your money out of the bank (like in Argentina about 5 years ago...)

-S

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Excuse me?

DOES THE PRICE OF GOLD VARY ACROSS THE WORLD?

Because only ONE WEEK ago, it was 460$ here in Norway!

There are some things you haven't thought of too.

Who is going to set the value of your gold? I know that when a jeweler buys back gold from you, he gives you one tenth of the real price. AND, if it is not proof-stamped with the purity (i.e.: 585/1000 or 999/1000) Then he deducts another third of the price, just for proofing it through acid baths and such.

So... how are you gonna make that work?

everyone could go cover lead coins with gold or something hehe ;-)

I have by the way long ago heard of a way to make gold, that only now makes any sense... After I heard of plasma torches, I deducted what mercury (the solid base material, not the liquid) would be used for. (Actually I know THREE ways to make gold, have never tested any though. Number one is through the method I will explain below, but don't try it, because it's highly toxic and explosive, and can create radioactive gold. The other two are to heat silver in some way, I don't know if it's a joke, but someone has a hypothesis that silver, when heated enough, like millions of degrees, turns into gold... And finally number three, to use a nuclear reactor to bombard lead with protons or neutrons, and this will make gold. This is also why I believe that people are trying to stop poor countries from having nuclear reactors, because it was the russians who found out that when irradiated enough, the inner layer of the lead shielding in reactor cores, turns into gold. We're talking half-way to meltdown-radiation here, but still it has been recreated in american experiments in the 60's.)
It's something called low-energy fusion. And it happens some times. Anyway, the way of making gold is with DC current, a hollow crystal-rock (geode) because it doesn't mix into the finished product, and some materials, which I have kind of forgot about. Silver iodide (ground up), ground up mercury powder, and... I don't remember any more, except it melts when electricity of correct amperage flows through it for enough time, and bonds into gold. It's a chemical equation, so some parts of atoms will be lost, and others bonded, you figure it out. The end result is gold anyway. Now I don't wanna hear your googled articles about "hoax because low energy fusion is impossible" or "hoax because gold making is impossible" or "hoax because someone said this was a hoax, and i REALLY believe them" or "newspapers say it's not true, so they must be sopeaking the TRUTH, because they ALWAYS speak the truth..." get my point? don't bother contradicting me because I don't care about answering. I am just enlightening you. I wouldn't try it though, I have other ways of making money that will NOT make my brain into a sponge, or blow my arms off.)

Well, the point is that the mercury forms a sort of plasma-level heat, on the microscopic level, when mixed really good with the other powdered materials. That is why it suddenly clicked into line with hearing about plasma torches.

Well, this was my 2 cents... (I don't know what 2 cents mean, hope it's not negative, but there you go.)

[edit on 30-4-2006 by Christian IX]

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Savonarola
Oh, and Regenmacher, diversifying into foreign currencies won't help much if there's a global recession or global inflation... or if you can't take your money out of the bank (like in Argentina about 5 years ago...)

Considering there was never an "even steven" across the board global currency devaluation even during the great depression, there's no basis to plan around that nonsense.

We "could" play fictional apocalypto economic what ifs all day long, but then your not a major investor either. If a global collapse comes and international banking centers close up, companies will cease to exist, and the goods and food will be gone. It's the end of society as you know it, so get your guns since the cities will empty and the hoards will be killing for a can of beans and no one will want gold, since you can't eat it. The free market is dead, long live the man with the gun.

Now back to the real world. Keep liquid, play the dips, learn to juggle, nothing happens in a split second and anyone can learn to become crash proof. Swiss banks are safe, no worries.

mises.org...

[edit on 30-4-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   
so....
maybe investing in one of these is a good idea???

www.atlatl.com...

I mean, where are ya gonna buy the ammo for you guns??? and with what...

carting around a ton of ammo is gonna be just as heavy as carting around a ton of silver, and well, more likely to go boom!!!

face it, it the whole thing collaspes, it's not gonna be easy no matter what you do. especially if your throw in a few good earthquakes and global warming in the picture and well, find yourself without a home to store you millions jars of peanut butter and your guns and your ammo...

silver has about doubled in value over the last year and shows very little sign of letting up. and, I'm a collector at heart, stamps, silverware, tradecards, bells, boxes, and on and on and on. and now a got a few cute little silver pandas on their way to me....the difference is, I can sell them on ebay for more than I paid, and expect their value to grow!!! and well, they're small, and not so bulky. if worse comes to worse, they'll fit a little easier in a backpack when I run for the hills. as for a large stockpile of silver...lol...I can be a leprachan!! what the heck, maybe while digging the hole for mine, I'll run across some of what our forefathers are rumored to have buried up in these mountains...

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
so....
maybe investing in one of these is a good idea???

I mean, where are ya gonna buy the ammo for you guns??? and with what...

Well if apocalpyto land happens and you stayed in gunmania US, you could probably could get ammo from the local war lord who trades for slaves, drugs or food. Maybe his name will be Jaba the Hut. Better already have some ammo to start with or you won't have anything to trade, since they'll steal it all at gunpoint.

When the tech geeks break into Norad and start launching nukes, then ya might as well get drunk and trade ammo for tequila....so maybe the best option is to take over a microbrewery or distillery and trade for food, drugs and nukes.

And that's the reason why I don't plan Armeggedon hunker down investment options, cause it just doesn't matter since there's too many intangibles to factor when chaos hits. I'll leave the fantasy, end of the world, crystal ball stuff up to the fiction writers. Besides my family would commit me to the nut farm, if I did wipeout the trusts and started using the finances to build Fort Knox/Mount Cheyenee II

Surf the wave or drown in the riptide, so I'll be in Bern having a capuchino.

Gold and silver up nicely today again...next resistance level for gold looks to be around $730 and a good time to take profits.

[edit on 1-5-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I don't know, but did you look at that link I pointed to. I think it's a nice little weapon, lol!! for when you guns run out of ammo, of course.

we'll probably hang onto whatever silver we get for awhile....of course, the stamps, the trade cards, ect. ect. might get liquidated for more....since, you can't get what they're worth now...
and it's not armegeddon that I am planning for....if that was the care, a case of rum would do the trick, since it wouldn't last that long. I think things will be changing quite a bit, but well, I don't expect the end of the world..just a little chaos, that's all...and well, if one was to have themselves in the right position when it starts...one could find themselves better off in the long run.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   
dawnstar: YOU need to read everything on THIS website... : www.alpharubicon.com

And then, like the cappucino guy from Bern said, surf the wave or drown!
I am in the stockmarket every day, change my portfolio every day, in fact, I'm only on average, into a company for half a trading day or a little less. Today, in 1 hour, I made 9% on an oil company, and got out at MAXIMUM price, right on the cent, before the stock exchange closed, and it fell after the toronto exchange opened, so I did very very good. ;-) Thank you, Petrobank!
Tomorrow, I will continue trading like every day before. Heavy into gold and oil.
I always sell before the end of the day, in these volatile times. It's easy once you understand the psychology of the market. (Took me about a day to figure out when I started hehehehe)

I am doing both... building Mt. Cheyenne II, AND staying in the stock market ;-)

Read that site. It is the best.

And sorry, but those silver pandas won't help you much if you want any REAL value back for them, later when silver is twice the price. Because it can't be exchanged for money with any real exchanges. Buy shares in gold companies or something. That will work.

EDIT:

dawnstar, if you buy an atlatl, (why not make it, by the way? I have made atlatl's myself. Including spears, bows, arrows, war-clubs.. Etc. when I was a teenager.) then someone with the brain to buy a modern firearm, and save just ONE round of ammunition, is going to shoot you, and take your stuff because you are OUT-RANGED.

And don't even think about running into the hills unless your house has become un-usable, or a plague has broken out.. I see bubonic plague is on the rise in the central USA... don't forget that rats and mice are attracted to people in the wilderness also, and will probably infect you there as well. My advice is, build a stronger house (REINFORCED CONCRETE... ordinary concrete without reinforcement steel will collapse) and plan around being able to STAY.

[edit on 2-5-2006 by Christian IX]

[edit on 2-5-2006 by Christian IX]

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Bump.

Gold's at $680.00, silver $14.00 as I post this.

It MUST be the end times...

-S

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I'd have to buy an atlatl just to see how to make one....

and the fact that they appear to be easy to make is what interests me. as far as me believing that it would protect me from a mob of people wanting to steal everything I own...
.....I don't have much, if they are in such dire need that they have to steal my ink stained clothes and rob my empty fridge of all it's food, well, they're in alot worse shape than I am. I'd give them the danged crap, outside of the clothing on me...and maybe a warm jacket and work at replacing the items...that's just the way I think. probably why I don't have much of anything.

as for the day trading. my brother was doing that for awhile. I guess he was doing rather well with it. for some reason he got out...not sure why. but he's a smart guy, so I imagine there's a pretty good reason why he ducked out when he did. besides, I still say you guys are sometimes trading stockes that don't even exist....I mean, how can you have 10,000 or so more stocks traded on the market in a day than the company issued? at least any silver I sell, I know it's there, in my hand, and real, before I sell it.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 07:37 AM
link   
~~

At this present stage of the gold & precious metals run up

i''m getting more selective as to just where the mining operations are producing...

considering that last week Bolivia 'nationalized' the nations gas /oil fields,
i see many other nations 'protecting' their wealth & natural resources
by seizing the many American Corporations mining operations around the world.

Venezula, Brazil, Peru, Chile, may follow Bolivias' lead.

so, i cull out gold produces that have major production & wealth creation projects anywhere outside of the USA,Canada,Mexico...the rest of the world is a crap-shoot

S American mines, African mines, SE Asian/Indonesian mines are all big risks in my view.

maybe when gold & precious metals peak around $1,250. USD
i will rotate intothe different gold currencies around the world, after selling my few gold producer equities.

i like GFI, CBJ, MNG to cite a few producers on the NYSE,
i dumped GLG in spite of its run-up still underway

just FYI input, take it or leave it

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join