It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question of shifting poles!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   
It is a known fact that the magnetic poles of the earth are going to switch at some point in the future.

Will Earth's gravity be affected? If so, how and where?

The answer will be given a little later, so you guys have time to scratch your heads on this one!!

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Simple answer: No.

Why would it?

Earth's magnetic field has nothing to do with gravity.....

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Because gravity is a distortion in space time, I don't see how gravity would be affected by the loss of a magnetic field. The Earth's spin and mass will not be affected by the pole shift right? So no, gravity won't be affected.

But, I have heard of high intensity EM fields creating distortions in space-time. I don't think it's been proven on a planetary scale however.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The gravity is effected by the mass of the Earth. The Magnetic field of the earth will probably have negligable or no effect on the gravity. The shift will mean one thing at least though:

Got to buy new compasses.

The only thing i suppose that could be temporaly disturbed is the abilty of the earths magnetic field to protect us from ionising particles from the sun.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Im gonna go with the crowd and say NO, i just cant think of any reason it could change the earths gravity, or for that matter just how it could change it. Gravity doesnt have a polarity to flip and although it has a direction i cant see the earth becoming repellant to all mass!!
So in what way could the changing magnetic field change earths gravity?

I've always wondered what effect this would have on modern civilisation though. Our navigation is based on the magnetic pole which is moving anyway so how would our compasses etc be affected by the flipping poles? Also would there be any noticable effect on electronics during or after the switch?

Finally am I right in thinking that the change occurs over years or even decades so at some point there will be no noticable magnetic field?

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Ok guys. Some here have said that there's abs no relationship between gravity and magnetism!

Gravitomagnetism is produced by stars and planets when they spin. "It's similar in form to the magnetic field produced by a spinning ball of charge," explains physicist Clifford Will of Washington University (St. Louis). Replace charge with mass, and magnetism becomes gravitomagnetism.

Read more....
science.msfc.nasa.gov...

gfad,
You may like to have a peek at this. I found it fairly interesting.

www.huttoncommentaries.com...

[edit on 12-4-2006 by mikesingh]

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Gravity is simply compressed magnetism - FACT.

www.irm.umn.edu...

We will not lose gravity when the poles switch.

The poles, in reality, do not "switch" per se. They can flip at very high speed, however, and this does look like they are "switching"

Cheers

JS

[edit on 12-4-2006 by jumpspace]

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Are you sure? Gravity is a force that acts upon ALL particles, whereas Magnetism is an electromagnetic force, and only acts on charged particles? Also gravity does not have the repel feature, so how can it be assumed to be compressed magnetism if it cannot be polarised?

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Shakeyjc:

Compressed magnetism is not the same as normal magnetism.

We are all made up of atoms. Atoms have neutrons and protons at the core and electronics spinning around them. When an electronic is subjected to a magnetic field (high intensity), it is affected.

I would provide a link to prove this to you based on an experiment carried out by scientists, however after using narrow field boolean searching, it does not seem to exist anymore. Another typical example of the supression of important physics information.

Cheers

JS

new topics

top topics

join