It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dell optiplex gx150 not displaying on monitor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I was hooking up one of the gx150 at my school that I usually work on but it no longer shows up on the monitor. The monitor does not even act as if anything is connected. I made sure it was all hooked up and I even tested out the cables on another computer. also two of the four lights on the back are orange while the other two are green. Can anyone tell me what's going on?

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Are the necessary drivers installed?? What monitor are you using??

[edit on 4/7/2006 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure they are since the computer was working just fine two days ago.

[edit on 7-4-2006 by Draiden]

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   
With the same monitor??..........

Check monitor with different computer, check computer with different monitor, if those options are available....

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Yes it's the same monitor. I already checked the serial number on the back to make sure.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   
What monitor is it? Crt? lcd? other?

tried monitor on another computer? tried computer with different monitor??

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
It's a Crt monitor. I've just tried the monitor with a different computer and it works just fine with that computer.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Draiden
It's a Crt monitor. I've just tried the monitor with a different computer and it works just fine with that computer.

Have you tried the computer with a different monitor? And are you seeing anything on screen during power up?

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I will as soon as I get back. It is my classes lunch break.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Okay, let us know what happens!

Strange. Never had that happen! If the monitor was working, and the computer was also previously working, then I am stuck for an explanation.

Unless there were any hardware or RAM additions to computer. Have you opened the computer, prior to hooking up the monitor in question?

Any other changes to computer?

Mechanic 32.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Ok I am back. It seems that the computer does the same thing with a different monitor. Nothing shows up. Could it be the video card is messed up?

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Could be. Try removing it, then reinstalling it. Make sure it is properly seated.

Have you done anything recently inside computer?

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I myself have not done anything to it, but since it is a school computer and probably anyone and everyone has done something with it in the two days since I've been on it anything could have happened.

I'll try reinstalling it now.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Optiplex gx150s often come with both an integrated and AGP vid cards. Make sure you are plugging the monitor into the right one if there are multiple.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I'm not gonna be able to finish testing this out today since my class is almost finished. I'll have to continue on monday.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Optiplex gx150s often come with both an integrated and AGP vid cards. Make sure you are plugging the monitor into the right one if there are multiple.

And if this is the case, try using the onboard video,(remove video card) and see if that works.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Could be Video Card, Could be memory, could be motherboard, even power supply. it can be anything at this point.Is there power going to the system? Do you hear the system fans turning on? CD drive lights turning on and CD Trays opening?

If there is power and If you are allowed and have permission, first try pulling out any unneccessary cards in the machine (ie: modem, enet card, sound card if any) and disconnect any IDE or floppy cables from the motherboard(Remember what cable goes where!), then try to boot up.
If you have success and it starts to boot, then shut the machine down and replace one item back that you had previously removed. If after you replace an item and the machine goes back to not booting , you have found your culprit. Just replace the part with a working one.

If none of the above work, then try replacing memory. If its not memory then more then likely it will leave the CPU, Motherboard or PSU.

Always start with the cheapest solutions first.

Pie

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   
While you're in there check the capacitors. We used to have GX150s at work, but realized Dell had a problem with buying cheap capacitors that would burst and stop working. Check the top of the capacitors on your MOBO for bulging, then look around the base for brown goo.

top topics

join