It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: US Announces New Nuclear Weapons Plan

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   
IAF101,

Thanks for actually addressing the issues I put forth. I'm tired of using the quote function so I'll just start typing.

But, I'm still going to have to disagree. While I think we need to keep the nuclear deterrent up to date, I really, really don't think the purpose of nuclear weapons should shift. Deterrent...that's the critcal word. I'm opposed to any plan that shifts nuclear weapons from deterrents to tactical weapons. Can of worms and all that...

As for the effects and horror of nuclear war, we only have 2 examples. We know the kind of devastation that those bombs caused. Although our bombs are cleaner, they are much bigger. A limited nuclear war is one thing, but assuming we're talking about a full scale nuclear exchange.... Doesn't matter how clean the nukes are...it's going to end our way of life. But what you're talking about is the limited use of nukes to take out selected targers. I understand the reasoning. But I worry that opening the door to nuclear weapons being acceptable as tactical weapons can lead to a wider use of these weapons by other countries. Where the US leads, many follow...

Anyway, what's wrong with Thermobaric weapons? Why can't they be satisfied with that? They have some of the same effects as nuclear weapons without the mess and wider political implications. We've been using them to successfully blow up underground bunkers for the last 5 years. Divine Strake? What about that? Big, big explosion...not nuclear.

<< 1  2   >>

join