It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physics Professor Predicts Time Travel in This Century

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
www.physorg.com...

With a brilliant idea and equations based on Einstein’s relativity theories, Ronald Mallett from the University of Connecticut has devised an experiment to observe a time traveling neutron in a circulating light beam. While his team still needs funding for the project, Mallett calculates that the possibility of time travel using this method could be verified within a decade.

Black holes, wormholes, and cosmic strings – each of these phenomena has been proposed as a method for time travel, but none seem feasible, for (at least) one major reason. Although theoretically they could distort space-time, they all require an unthinkably gigantic amount of mass. .......

Maybe this is too far fetched, but what if.... everything paranormal is nothing more than the residual effects of humans travelling through time.

Ghosts, Ufos, Bermuda Triangle.....

Makes you wonder.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I've always had this weird science fiction idea. I think sometimes that what if the unexplained ancient architecture that we see in the world was a result of time travel. I'm not saying I believe that to be the case, but it was just an idea that popped into my head once.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   
This is very interesting and something that I think I will try to follow. Ronald Mallett seems to be a respected scientist in his field and his ideas sound plausible (although only time will tell if his ideas actually bring forth a working 'time-machine').

Good news to those who are interested in time travel.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Time travel? hahaha, Im sure you also believe the earth is round.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I watched a tv show about this guy not too long ago. His father died when he was like 10 years old and he wanted to go back in time to visit him. He said he started getting into science fiction and time travel, first as a means for his father, then as a career choice. So he's been thinking about this for awhile and has since acquired a nice physics degree. His idea doesn't seem too far fetched and he's not attempting to reach his father or some other currently unrealistic goal. I hope he gets his funding straightened out and something comes of this. Seems like a good guy.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I believe "they" predicted we would all be in flying cars by now too

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Haha..... time travel

Would you need propulsion as well ?

What if you have a time machine and went forward or back 6 months...where would you end up?

............in the cold depths of space as the Earth has moved ?

Please..travelling to the moon is difficult enough..lets not get out of our depth and chase scientific improbabilities.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   
To me, here is the most interesting things mentioned by Mallett:

“The Grandfather Paradox [where you go back in time and kill your grandfather] is not an issue,” said Mallett. “In a sense, time travel means that you’re traveling both in time and into other universes. If you go back into the past, you’ll go into another universe. As soon as you arrive at the past, you’re making a choice and there’ll be a split. Our universe will not be affected by what you do in your visit to the past.”
Original Source as posted

So....building a time machine then serves what purpose other than simple observation?

seekerof

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 04:31 AM
link   
^That is what I call the 'Parallel Universe Argument'.

For example:
If you go back in time in this universe, in another Universe you didn't, in another you did but you breathed a second later, in another Universe the experiment crashed and you died and in another you're not even alive.

It basically states that there are several different realities or dimensions and the choices we make in this are split into different choices in other dimensions/realities, etc. etc. etc.

But @seekerof, I think someone would rather observe history, as I don't think anyone would want to change history. Oh wait, that's impossible anyways, according to 'Parallel Universe Argument'. But you'd be changing history in a parallel universe that can't exist because you can't change history but it does exist because you can in another universe. Do you get my drift? It basically means that the 'Parallel Universe Argument' as stated is impossible yet possible at the same time.

[edit on 14-5-2006 by POTO]

[edit on 14-5-2006 by POTO]

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 07:44 AM
link   
[edit on 14-5-2006 by freddieb]

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Given the rate of technological advancement over the last five decades.
I believe Promomag, that you are right.
If the rate of exponential advancement continues, we may very well see a manuverabilitiy through the space time continuoum

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
As far as i can gather Time Travel is impossible. In simple terms it is because..

"If you are 25 years old, and you go back in time and visit your 5 year old self. Then you kill your 5 year old self, you would then have never been able to grow up to be 25 years old to travel back in time to kill your 5 year old self. Thus creating a paradox"

Although i suppose the Multiple Universe theory could provide a reason to why time travel IS possible. Either way i have a feeling we will soon tell if time travel is possible or not.

[edit on 20-5-2006 by Typhon]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   
what everyone knows you have to have a singularity presesnt to time travel.

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 07:38 AM
link   
If you build a "time tunnel" as such or other form of time travel, I think you want be able to go farther back then when you first turned you "tunnel" or whatever on as it wouldn't have existed before then. Also that makes sense why events like moon landing and the times of Jesus H Christ wern't swamped with time traveling tourists.

Like if you build a time machine in 2050 for example, you can't travel back and see the creation of the universe or the dinosaurs.

[edit on 18-6-2006 by joecool280]

new topics

top topics

join