It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rattlesnakes Grow While Starving

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Even when they are starving rattlesnakes grow, eating themselves from within to gain length while reducing girth.

This finding goes against previous reports that reptiles shrunk during lean times, as would be expected.

The western diamondback rattlesnake can go two years without food. Marshall McCue of the University of Arkansas studied 16 of the venomous creatures for 168 days, or more than five months.

Snakes starved for the entire period fed on their own stores, converting protein to carbohydrates. Calcium amounts doubled.

LiveScience.com

Well, this is interesting, though I did get queasy when I read that it's body strated eating itself.

I don't think I'l be taking any treatments derived from this finding if it means m y bodies gonna eat itself.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
That's actually what our bodies do. That's why people who go on diets loose weight. Our bodies convert the fat to other things (I think). I'm not a nutritionalist so don't take my word for it. But, I'm pretty sure that is what happens.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I'm all for the body eatring the fat, fat is gross and icky, but I mean I don't like if it's eating the muscle, or anything but fat.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
That's why you have to make sure you get enough protein when you're dieting, so as to not lose muscle mass.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
wow...i guess i do learn something new evryday.

Mod Note: One Line Response – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 4-4-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

top topics

join