It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What weird things have people eaten?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 10:13 PM
link   
My mum's cousin used to eat worms!

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Frog legs in garlic butter,,,,, mmmmmm
Rattlesnake
Porcupine, very greasy like bear, but tasty!
Chocolate covered fried grasshoppers
that's about all of the weird stuff....

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Wow i`m amazed at what people have eaten.

I`d be one who is turned off normal food from a bad thought,but i`m sure that unwittingly like most people i have eaten things we would never normally.I`d have to say raw oysters would have to be about as adventurous as i`ve been,and even that nearly made me loose my breakfast.

My ex`s family could`nt keep her brother when young out of the chook pen because he loved to eat chook poop, he`d go missing but was always found hiding in the pen having a feast

After being told this,the next day i told the guys at work after smoko about this,one guy looked annoyed at me,then said "thats what i used to do as well".

Maybe the rest of us are missing out on something huh?though i`ll gladly give it a miss.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   
HEY I remembered something else....

When I was a kid I used to eat burnt match heads....I can still remember how good they tasted...I was about 3 years old at the time.

Eating of non-food items is called Pica.

It is usually due to a difficiency, like anemia...which I had and had to have a blood tranfusion at age 3.

I was once again struck with a Pica thing a few years ago...I COULNT EAT ENOUGH ICE...ANY KIND! I WOULD CRUNCH IT AND EAT IT CONSTANTLY!!!
and...yep, you got it...I was severely anemic once again.

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I have not really eaten any weird foods. I eat Toasted Bagels with Hot Sauce on it. It is good depending on what kind of hot sauce is on it. Some sauces aren't that good but others are awesome.
I don't know how weird that is but it is the weirdest thing that I have eaten.

I also know someone who ate Play-Doh when they were young.

[edit on 19-4-2006 by The_Truth_Seeker]

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 03:21 AM
link   
We picked these as kids, but you had to use gloves. If you touched them before they were cooked they would hurt like hell and leave red welts on your skin.
Mom cooked them up like spinach and served them with butter.

British Columbia bush food.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   
someone pls try eating those whitish fat grubby caterpillar things and tell me how it tastes.

the most daring thing i have done is eat babecued grasshoppers, crispy and quite nice... + raw eggs...yuck very hard to swallowthe yoke...

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
not me but my bro ate leftover noodles i left sittin on the table.i had been hawkin lewgys and chunks of my lung into the big bowl for about 10 minutes or so.i smoke lots so it was pretty chunky.my bro came home drunk,and was like YEAH DUDE NOOODLES MMMM.he was chowing down and forgot to look at what he was eating.i stood at the door to walk outside and smoke and just made a funny #head face like dude,what the # are you doing?
i told him he ate some haggard # from my lewgys and he goes,WELL WHAT THE HELL DONT LEAVE FREAKIN BOWLS ON THE TABLE!

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I guess northern people tend to consider crawfish wierd.
Raw oysters.
I have a history of eating various bugs. Went to some thing at our nature center when I was young and we had things with worms and crickets in them, some other things I'm sure but that's all I remember. I swallowed an inchworm at camp a while back, but they rinsed it in koolaid first. I always wanted to go collect some grubs and fry them up, but we never did get around to it. We got ants and did that once, bit of olive oil and stick them in a frying pan.
Alligator, frog, pig brain, escargot(if you consider these things wierd).
I went through a dry cat food phase. I'd go and steal a handful, then hide in the corner behind the couch in our living room.

I guess that's all I can think of right now.

--Kit.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Monkey on a shish kabob, while stationed in Panama...

Racoon, after a hunting trip, much too greasy, yuck!

Froglegs, those were great!

As of yet, no BUGS!

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Some of my weirdest have been raw horse meat sashimi (basashi) - this was delicious - and grasshoppers - they tasted liked roast chicken skin when cooked but peppery like basil when raw.

I eat kangaroo quite regularly as my preferred red meat.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst
She also used to drink ketchup straight out of the bottle, and she was known for ketchup sandwiches and dunking bread in Pepsi.

No bread in the soda for me, but I have drank and occasionally still do drink ketchup straight from the bottle (ketchup rocks!); of course, I love bbq sauce, and sauces in general. Alot of times I get a craving for a sauce, and then figure out what to eat it with (instead of picking a meal and then deciding on condiments).

I think the weirdest thing I have ate, besides spiders, is pig brain. It was good, better than I expected.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Woodchuck is quite good on the grill. Tastes allot like roast beef.

Others I have consumed (all from the wild and harvested by myself):

Rabbit
Squirrel
Venison - Whitetail (not too uncommon)
Turkey
Grouse
Woodcock (alright! watch it!) - A type of Grouse with a long needle like bill.
Rattlesnake - chickeny
Alligator Tail - always thought it tasted like a cross between chicken and shrimp.

My favorite self harvested food aside from Venison is fresh Brown Trout - luscious pink flesh! A little egg wash or milk, a little flour and in to the frying pan with butter.

For Venison I usually trim it up really well while reducing about 4 chopped onions in a little oil and butter. Cut it into small chunks about 2"X1" and throw into the pan with lots of fresh cracked pepper and a bit of coarse salt. Cook low and slow for up to 1-1/2 hours. Serve with some nice home fried potatoes.

I've also had snipe but they are very hard to catch. *wink*

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I've eaten a lot of the meats listed here in my carnivourous days, no insects or bugs to my knowledge, but I never considered them weird because they were considered normal wherever I happened to eat them.

Actual weird things to my mind that I have eaten would be rock dust, it was meant to be high in minerals when used as a tea, tasted fine but I don't know if that was true about it being any use as a food. And I still eat cheese rinds that are supposedly inedible. Well not for me. I used to eat these supplements that were some kind of high-content minerals from some meteor site, meant to be like ORMs.

I expected this thread to be full of things like 'I eat glass' and 'mmm, crayons'.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Weirdest: giant bbq'd beetle from a street vendor in Thailand. Thank goodness for beer.

Most revolting: "Pickled" Icelandic shark which is basically a shark that they catch, eviscerate, chuck in a hole on the beach then cover with sand and let it "Pickle" for a few months. Sadly, I can't blame beer on that one.

I also knew a guy that ate milk-bones. All the time.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I have eaten axel grease, snails, camel, live ants, live crickets, snake, lizard, alligator, transmission fluid, diesel fuel, turtle, shark, and a spider.

Never eaten a monkey before though. Was it tasty?

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I almost forgot,
I ate flan from a street vendor in Ol' Mex. Tasco?
He swore that they were raisens.
I was 13, but I damn near died (filthy commy flan)...on the upside,
I could buy Tequilla and smokes. I felt like a godlet

[edit on 14-6-2006 by triptrippington]

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Jesus Christ !
I thought the stuff i had was strange !
Went to ecuador and ate a coy, its basicly a guine pig, tasted like crap.
Also had some fresh cow stomach while i was there, this also tasted like
crap...if they didnt have pizza hut i would have starved. Ya i know, im an
a typical american.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I went to Thailand last month to visit a friend and after a night of drinking she stops at this road side vendor and buys a small plastic sack filled with little green veggies and BUGS!!! That's right...little beetle cock roach looking demons. They were even seasoned and had a little crunch to 'em.

If it looks disgusting by Sporty standards, I don't eat it. I'm very picky about my food.

EDIT: I did'nt eat any bugs

[edit on 15/6/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Been living in Asia for a few years, so I've tasted a few..."delicacies":

Frog
Dog (Not sure what breed. Probably mongrel, which I guess would make that "mixed meats"
)
Sheep's brains (This when I was a kid. My mum told me they were "crumbed chicken croquettes". I never forgave her.)
Snake
Eel
Raw fish, raw beef, raw veal
Duck's tongue
Drank "rice liquor" out of a severed snakes head mixed with the blood and gore (an aphrodisiac according to the Taiwanese. Made me feel ill, not horny.)
Pig trotters (this at an Italian restaurant I worked at part time)
Chicken hearts
Turtle soup
Vegemite straight from the jar with a spoon (Aussies will know how much of a feat that is.)

I stay away from bugs. That sheet just aint nat'ral. I even made a smiley special for the occasion. =>

[edit on 2006-6-15 by wecomeinpeace]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join