It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Murdoch Junior to undergo psychometric testing for BSkyB job

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2003 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Very interesting... I wonder how long until a DNA sample is evaluated as well, ala Gattaca?

It is interesting to note that the basis for this testing is from the work of Carl Jung, which has been invalidated and abandoned by many psychologists.

Considering the position as controlling a major media outlet, I wonder if this is geared more towards manipulating and controlling the applicants thought processes rather than screening (IE, MKULTRA?)

James Murdoch is to be psychometrically tested to see if he has the personality and aptitude to be the next chief executive of British Sky Broadcasting, the leading satellite television company.

The 30-year-old son of Rupert Murdoch, the publishing magnate who chairs BSkyB, has now formally applied for the CEO job, which has become available following the decision of Tony Ball to quit. This means he will be interviewed by Spencer Stuart, the headhunters called in by BSkyB to oversee the appointments process, and will have to undergo pyschometric testing.

"All the candidates will sit a psychometric test, including James," said an executive close to BSkyB.

Many big companies now use these personality, intelligence and aptitude tests to assess candidates for senior positions. Based on the theories of Carl Jung, the Swiss psychologist, they measure qualities including "neuroticism", agreeableness, conscientiousness, openness and extraversion.

www.telegraph.co.uk.../money/2003/10/12/cnmurd12.xml&menuId=242&sSheet=/money/2003/10/12/ixfrontcity.html&secureRefresh=true &_requestid=38154

posted on Oct, 12 2003 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Fixed link to story

I think Jung was pretty cool, and had some very interesting ideas.
Hey, at least they're not choosing by the old "I'm thinking of a number between 1 & 100......" trick.

-B.

posted on Oct, 12 2003 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Thanks, sorry didnt know it didnt work.

posted on Oct, 12 2003 @ 01:11 PM
link   
As usual the press completely butchers the field of psychology to all hell and back.

There are many many different psychological tests available. Each has a particular use. They are all designed to assess a variable or construct. A commonly used instrument in industrial/organizational settings, the "Myers-Briggs" personality test was based on Jung's theory. However, there are many other tests that have better validity and reliability, that measure the same variables.

Most of these tests are designed to help in the decision-making process. Personally, I think psychological testing for high-level positions is a very good idea. It has the potential to identify individuals who are prone to sinking into a destructive Groupthink pattern. This groupthink issue is quite dangerous. It is a group process that operated in the Kennedy administration during the planning phase of the Bay of Pigs invasion.

Of course, there is also the other end of it: Perhaps a company is looking for an individual who will do as they are told. Someone who is very low in oppositionality, for example. I'd love to run a regression analysis on the protocols of a sample of Bohemian Club members.

posted on Oct, 12 2003 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Suggestion is the apparent catalyst or motive that ironically also
plays as motive for interpersonal communication. You just gotta love it.

new topics

top topics

join