It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concerning Flatland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 11:59 PM
link   
In this book I read the author tells a story of several characters who live in a two dimensional world. They are described of seeing each other as lines and points. Then when a 3 dimensional sphere creatues passes through their world they percieve them as a point, then a ever growing line, shrinking line, then a point again.

My question is this If they lived in two dimensions, they couldnt actually SEE anything, because there is no thickness. If we lived in 2 dimensions we couldnt see a line because a line has a thickness. But could we feel it? There would be nothing to feel! Actually nothing could exist in 2 dimensions.

Does think make sense or am I wrong?

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Here is a website that explains flatland.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I remember something similar to that but I think it was in Carl Segan's Dragons of Eden or something similar. I hadn't seen the flatland book before, cool, but in retrospect that was probably what Segan was referring to.

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Remember that it's fiction. He could have them seeing by radar or remote sensing or anything else. It doesn't actually have to make sense. In most cases, the writer will simply "beg the question" and leave it to the reader to invent what they like.

That said, I read all his books and loved them!

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   
tetraspace.alkaline.org...

You'll probably like this site - it shows how a 2d person (if possible hehe) would see a 3d person playing with their environment and the same from a 3d persons perspective with a 4d character doing the same. It's pretty cool and explains quite abit of stuff, like how badly we would be exposed to 4d beings. Good and Fun Site!!!

It pretty hard to think about the 2nd Dimension of being. Nevermind the 4th lol. I think it could work.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 03:18 AM
link   
if anybody is interested, flatland is available to read (free & legal) here -

www.alcyone.com...

great book!

top topics

join