It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who named us, Earth?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   
One other name is Gaia, from the greek ΓΑΙΑ i.e. earth...it is actually a formal English word, much more ancient that Erdaz.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by alphacenturi
Hmm... considering our planet is made up of over 70 percent water on the surface, and with the possibility of there being 5 times that much water underneath, maybe our "Earth" should be called "Ocean"

Funny you say this because we are becoming more and more like the Oceana of 1984.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
If I were from another solar system I might call Earth Sol 3. But then again, if I were from another solar system, I'd have a different name for everything including Sol and 3

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I beelieve it's apple of the earth...not "potato" lol However I don't speak French.

Actually I have also wondered why the French couldn't come up with a name just for potatoes. Seems kinda Gaulish doesn't it?
"Henri, what ees deees? Eet Ees an apple!"
"Well what ees dees then?" (he points to a potato)
Eet ees an apple of the earth"!
"Why do you call eet a ground apple?"
"Because who can think of all dees names all dee time? Mon Dieu!"
sayswho (skep by any other name)

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I dont know if anyone knew about this one. Its also called Earth Shan, if you believe about the stuff with being in an illusion and allthis other stuff that is one of the names ive heard in that subject

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   
RebelSaint, alpha here, not very good at quoting yet, just can't seem to grasp those brackets right, hmm... must be all that water flowing thru.

Tks for noticing my whimsical point, yeah what is up with the name earth really, ever since I was a kid(long time ago
)always wondered why we were called dirt
sorry just having fun. Looked up Oceana 1984, got a bunch of garbage, could you be sweet and enlighten me, because Oh my stars, I am not a religious girl by any means, but now I can understand why they say Jesus walked on water, probably because it took him that long just to find land
yeah, once again just having fun. Gee and we all wonder why some of us are so wishy washy
, Oh me bad, can't seem to stop myself, I better go and make some tea.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I think the Greeks named it Earth.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Well since we're giving all the names earth has in different languages,
here's the one in bulgarian: zemia
or in russian: zemlia (very similar languages)
very different from earth and terra...

One thing's for sure: this is no question about Space Exploration

top topics

<< 1   >>

join