It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In the name of Jesus - Clinton vows to block bill criminalizing illegal immigrants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:43 AM
link   

NEW YORK -- Invoking Biblical themes, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton joined immigration advocates Wednesday to vow and block legislation seeking to criminalize undocumented immigrants.

Clinton, a potential 2008 presidential candidate and relative latecomer to the immigration debate, made her remarks as the Senate prepares to take up the matter next week.

Clinton renewed her pledge to oppose a bill passed in December by the House that would make unlawful presence in the United States _ currently a civil offense _ a felony. The Senate is set to consider a version of that legislation, as well as several other bills seeking to address the seemingly intractable issue of immigration reform.

AntiChrist Link

I can't believe the lighting bolt missed her when she said this.............She want's nothing but the votes of 20 million illegals.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I thought illegal immigrants couldn't vote? Are you saying they could?

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by thermopolis
I can't believe the lighting bolt missed her when she said this.............She want's nothing but the votes of 20 million illegals.

Errr... illegal aliens can't vote.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
I thought illegal immigrants couldn't vote? Are you saying they could?

Based on the clinton era "motor voter" act thousnads of illegals did vote. But the larger point here is that she is sponsoring a bill to let felons in prison vote and to let "guest workers" vote. If the morons in DC grant amnesty to these "people" it will be a large voting block for someone...........ah most likely whoever gives them a free ride.........

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Actually,
Illegal immigrants have participated and still do in the US elections. This is due to the fact that proof of citizenship is not required. In most states, if you show a driver's license or some other state sponsored identification, you are allowed to vote.
Again, depending on the state, all that is needed to get an ID card or a DL, is to show a Social Security Card which there is no attempt to verify it's authenticty. In other cases, show some proof of residency such as an electric bill in your name will enable you to get an ID card.
Then you also have the underground ID cards that are prevelant in most cities in the US. We recently had 45 "shops" shut down here in Dallas that were creating fake ID cards, SS cards as well as DL's.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I see. Well, since we are on the subject of voting, can US citizens living abroad vote? If so, how?

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
I see. Well, since we are on the subject of voting, can US citizens living abroad vote? If so, how?

yes, absentee voting.....................is one way. Contact you closest embassy.......

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by kenshiro2012
Again, depending on the state, all that is needed to get an ID card or a DL, is to show a Social Security Card which there is no attempt to verify it's authenticty. In other cases, show some proof of residency such as an electric bill in your name will enable you to get an ID card.

I remember in the last election, that there was a loud outcry because people were being asked to provide ID when they went to vote. They were being "disenfranchised", don't you know.

This despite the offer by the state of providing voter ID cards to the people. The state would go so far as to even deliver the ID cards to your home.

Back on topic, the irony of Hillary's feigned outrage is that it was the Democrats, under her husband, who made stomping illegal immigration out a part of their party platform:

Today's Democratic Party also believes we must remain a nation of laws. We cannot tolerate illegal immigration and we must stop it. For years before Bill Clinton became President, Washington talked tough but failed to act. In 1992, our borders might as well not have existed. The border was under-patrolled, and what patrols there were, were under-equipped. Drugs flowed freely. Illegal immigration was rampant. Criminal immigrants, deported after committing crimes in America, returned the very next day to commit crimes again.
www.perkel.com...

Emphasis added

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Just another reason why she won't be our next president, and possibly the most important one. It is outrageous that politicians on both sides are pandering to the ILLEGAL immigrant voting block in our country. How can politicians not understand how dangerous illegal immigration is to the future wellbeing of this nation? This is mostly a retorical question, I already know the answer: Blind ambition...Blind Ambition

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 23-3-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   
The hypocrisy of this is that she has been known to criticize GWB's reliance on his faith for guidance, yet she invokes the name of Jesus in her speech. As you said, blind ambition.:shk:

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Just another reason why she won't be our next president, and possibly the most important one. It is outrageous that politicians on both sides are pandering to the ILLEGAL immigrant voting block in our country. How can politicians not understand how dangerous illegal immigration is to the future wellbeing of this nation?

I guess I had a different take on it. Maybe I'm naive.

I figured immigration rhetoric was geared toward the large untapped Hispanic vote in this country. Those here already who feel close affiliation with other Hispanics. "shrugs*

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I thought the same way you did, DTOM. But I guess if you pick up one vote by wooing the other, that's OK too.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Most of the immigration rhetoric is indeed geared to the large, and growing legal Hispanic voting block in this nation. That is certainly true. I have also heard that there are politicians out there who would like to see legalized voting for illegal immigrants. I cannot remember any of the names involved or where I heard it. I do remember it was in California, but who was it, I cannot recall. Maybe someone who is better at sqeezing information out of the Internet will have better luck than I am having.

top topics

join