It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Greatest Tool in the World!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
What would you think it would be? The electric can opener? The Swiss Army knife? The vibrator? Well, whatever you might have guessed, the greatest tool in the world is duct tape.

Invented during WWII for the US Army, the olive drab tape which soon came to be called duck tape because it was water-repellent, duct tape has become a common household product, an emergency repair material par excellence, and perhaps the longest running gag in history on the venerable "The Red Green Show."

After the war was over, duck tape was used by air conditioning technicians to hold together the joints of duct work, hence the name change and the silver color. Oddly, the one thing that duct tape does worse than all other alternatives is hold together duct work.

"It's the ultimate power tool," says Tim Nyberg, a graphic designer from Minnesota, who, along with his brother-in-law Jim Berg, has sold nearly 3 million books and calendars as The Duct Tape Guys. "It's so strong people have used it to pull cars out of ditches, yet you can rip it with your bare hands."

It's easy, says Nyberg. "It's the quick fix. Whack on some duct tape and you're done." It's versatile. "It comes with no directions and no expectations as to how to use it." And, he says, it's simple. "Name any other tool that is totally self-contained. With hammers you need nails, screwdrivers you need screws."

It even cures warts. In 2002, doctors at the Madigan Army Medical Center in Tacoma, Washington, treated a group of patients by having them apply small duct tape patches every day; the warts disappeared in 85 percent of those treated, making the therapy far more effective than freezing with liquid nitrogen, the standard treatment. The medical applications don't stop there. Duct tape is widely used for first aid as a sort of temporary suture. The tape effectively closes up wounds until proper treatment can be found --although it's not fun when you have to pull the stuff off your skin. Some emergency medical technician handbooks even describe how to use duct tape to close up sucking chest wounds like gunshots.

www.wired.com

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 2006/3/22 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I know I always have a roll handy. This young fellow is also decked out in a suit made completely of the stuff. Snazzy.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Just a note, it's duct tape, not duck tape.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Every forgets about the Spork.

I can find some good uses for them.....

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Maybe if they didn't have duck on the label, I'd remember to call it duct tape.
www.duckproducts.com...

Seriously, I always have several rolls on hand, one in the car, the kitchen, the tool box and the hurricane supply box.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Ah Duct Tape great stuff

Even came in handy on the Moon!

On the lunar surface in December 1972, Apollo 17 astronauts Harrison Schmitt and Eugene Cernan needed to repair one of their lunar rover's fenders in an effort to keep the "rooster tails" of dust away from themselves and their gear. This picture reveals the wheel and fender of their dust covered rover along with the ingenious application of spare maps, clamps, and grey strip of "duct tape".

Dont leave home without it

link

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

You didn't read the article did you?

Invented in the early 1940s by scientists at Permacell, a division of the Johnson & Johnson Co., duct tape was built to fill the need for a strong, flexible, durable tape that could help the war effort, according to Avon, Ohio-based Henkel Consumer Adhesives, one of the world's largest makers of the stuff. Early versions consisted of medical tape laminated to a cloth backing, covered with polycoat adhesives and a polyethylene coating. It was colored Army green and nicknamed "duck tape" because it repelled water.

www.wired.com

Or even my own explanation.

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Invented during WWII for the US Army, the olive drab tape which soon came to be called duck tape because it was water-repellent.... After the war was over, duck tape was used by air conditioning technicians to hold together the joints of duct work, hence the name change and the silver color.

[edit on 2006/3/22 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   
It's great stuff no doubt about it. Seen it used on cars too, can sub for a simple body job

You can buy it anywhere and it's cheap. Yeah I think they made a good choice.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Don't forget that with some plastic sheeting it will also protect you from Anthrax.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
D Tape and baling wire...........If that don't fix it, throw it away

And trust me, I always have a few rolls on hand

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Yep, duct/duck tape has been standard issue on every flight man has made into space. It's not just, "Don't leave home without it." It's also "Don't leave the planet without it."

I've heard some people swear it could fix a broken marriage.

I have a roll in my toolbox, it's truly the wonder tool.

Wupy

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 11:51 PM
link   
One of my favorite applications.

When women first discovered duct tape.

Hubby doesn't mind sleeping in the doghouse? Try this.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Are you sure it is Duct tape and not....................

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Did I forget lift and separate? Sorry about that.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Duct tape is great, I use it all the time.

I've heard it called hundred mile an hour tape a few times, but I have no clue why. Anyone?

You know what they say....
If you can't duck it.....fudge it

[edit on 23/3/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 09:55 PM
link   
It's called hundred mile an hour tape because of the sound it makes when you pull out a length of it. Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip!

[edit on 2006/3/23 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
You forgot the rearview on the moving van application

You really need the whole perspective to appreciate how useful the stuff is.

Interestingly enough, I received the same images in an e-mail today. I hate coincidences like that.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 12:57 AM
link   
While securely taping my icepack to my knee, i came across this post. I used Duck Brand tape.

The NASCAR guys call it 100mph or sometimes 200mph tape because they use it to tape up bodypanels that end up going 200mph and turning left, and it holds up.

Duct tape is definitely the best tool ever, and it's use is only limited to your imagination. I rock a duct tape wallet, i've got small pouches, and i'm working on a set of duct tape moccasins.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 07:03 AM
link   
In highschool I would buy disposable vehicles (old used cars) for a few bucks. Drive for a while and throw away. Duct tape was a must have!! These days I have better cars but I still need the tape sometimes for a number of things. Its a great "TOOL" indeed!

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Duct tape is truly the fix anything long enough to limp it home tool. I've used to repair just about everything (including emergency repairs on myself). On a side note just to warn you duct tape as a medical application should be called 100 decibel tape, because that's how loud you're going to scream when the ER doc removes it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join