It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New way to protect armoured vehicles from shaped-charge landmines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 12:36 AM
link   
This sounds pretty cool, but I think it would kick up tons of dirt and dust.

New Scientist

Hanging a heavy armour plate beneath the vehicle slows it down too much. So TACOM, the US army's Tank-automotive and Armaments Command, is patenting a better idea.

TACOM has come up with a mat that can be slung underneath a vehicle made from hundreds of rollers, each a few centimetres in diameter and made from very hard plastic. Normally, when the vehicle is on tarmac roads, the mat is retracted and does not touch the ground. But when the driver sees a suspicious dusty track ahead he slackens the tension so that the mat touches the ground and its rollers roll-hug the terrain.

If a shaped charge mine goes off the first charge will throw up the soil but most of it should bounce off the mat and re-cover the mine. So, when the second charge detonates, its lethally focused shock wave is damped and spread by the uncleared soil. And enough of the blast should also vent up though the rollers to prevent the mat from breaking up.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 12:47 AM
link   
doesn't dirt on top of explosives equal 'tamping'? and isn't that one method if increasing explosive force?
another thought: if a landmine has, say, 100# of dirt on it when it is placed, and rollers re-distribute that dirt, won't said landmine still have 100# of dirt on it? and hence the same destructive potentional?

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Shaped charge penetration is a very delicate thing and just about anything between the mine and it's target will severly lower it's penetration because the "plasma cone" from the mine won't be able to form up properly.
This will most likely save some vehicles but it wont help against track mines or other "blunt" explosive mines.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Most of the mines/IED's in Iraq aren't of the shaped charge variety. Most of the shaped charges which have been encountered tend to attack vehicles from the side rather than from underneath.

Nice idea though, I just wonder about it's wider utility.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1
Most of the mines/IED's in Iraq aren't of the shaped charge variety. Most of the shaped charges which have been encountered tend to attack vehicles from the side rather than from underneath.

Nice idea though, I just wonder about it's wider utility.

I cant recall where, but I read just recently that they have been using some shaped charged IED's. I know it sounds odd to hear the words "shaped charge" and "IED" in the same sentence, but thats why it was a story.

I guess a handfull of the Abrams that were dissabled by IED's were shaped charges.

Remember some shaped charges are just directed energy charges, not necessarily a cone of melted copper.

Here is one, not the one I remember, but an example of an improvised shaped explosive:

www.defense-update.com...

And another:

ftssoldier.blogspot.com...

[edit on 22-3-2006 by skippytjc]

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
A abraham tank, mmm, was it just disabled (broken) did the crews of it suffer any casultys?

I usualy don't hear much other then losses of jeeps or helechopters.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazz_psyker
A abraham tank, mmm, was it just disabled (broken) did the crews of it suffer any casultys?

Which one? Do a search, there is plenty of video evidence of Abraham tanks that have been disabled or destroyed.

top topics

join