It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cruise vs. Southpark?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Exernal Source

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Actor Tom Cruise threatened to boycott promotion of his upcoming Paramount Pictures film unless a sister cable TV network pulled a "South Park" rerun lampooning the Church of Scientology, industry sources said on Friday.

Cruise spokesman Paul Bloch said neither the actor nor his representatives "had anything to do" with the scheduling of "South Park" reruns and that Cruise had never said to anyone he would refuse to promote his film. Paramount spokeswoman Janet Hill denied any knowledge of such a threat.

All day long, I've been hearing Tom Cruise vs. Southpark, Tom Cruise fights first amendment, etc . . .
Yet each time the bit is aired, the Cruise rebuttal is downplayed. I could care less about Cruise or any othe Hollywierd celebrity, but this is starting to look more like free advertising for his upcoming movie than a religous stance.

mod edit to use "ex" tags instead of "quote" tags
Quote Reference.
Posting work written by others. **ALL MEMBERS READ**

[edit on 21-3-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Probably, didn't he have something else to prat on about when WOTW was released? His engagement or something?
Ah yes:

Cruise denies 'stunt' love affair

Hollywood star Tom Cruise has denied his relationship with actress Katie Holmes is a publicity stunt.
"I have to laugh. It's just ridiculous," the 42-year-old actor said at the European premiere of his new film War of the Worlds, in Berlin.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Of course it's all probably co-incidence...

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 03:15 AM
link   
They pulled the second airing of the Scientology episode shortly before it aired. They advertised it up until the day before and then aired another episode. Its pretty funny since getting sued by Scientologist was a joke in the show they even had all the credits read John and Jane Doe.

The Scientology episode even caused "Chef" Issac Hayes to quit South Park. Hes a outspoken Scientologist BTW

news.yahoo.com...

Tom is also big time protective of his image he wouldnt even lend out his image to games based on his movies. The Minority Report game featured some Blond haired random guy. He has sued others that portrayed him as Gay before so that might be the reason awell. Their was that whole "In the closet" joke going on with Tom.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Not sure why this was moved. It is not about Tom Cruise. It's about how the media is being manipulated to the point where nothing is "news" anymore. I do not watch the big 3 (NBC, CBS, ABC) due to their bias. Guess cable news is getting turned off too.

But I guess media manipulation is so prevelant now that it is no longer considered a conspiracy.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Cruise.....The Final Frontier.

From what I gather, the Southpark creators are always looking for a way to use controversy to pull in viewers, and Cruise/Isaac are just playing into their hands by giving them ammunition.

I don't believe Cruise for one minute about not issuing the "threat", but what's he going to say? "Yeah, I told them I wouldn't promote my film if they aired it.....I lurrrve Katie! Go Scientology!".

But you can't be sure....all you can be sure about is SOMEONE is using the other to get free publicity through controversy. And Scientology is involved, so the waters are more muddy by default. My guess is Toms' "company" had Words, the creators don't want ot admit it and neither does Tom, but they all get a few Column Inches in the process while we're scratching our heads.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   

All day long, I've been hearing Tom Cruise vs. Southpark

Shows that Tom Cruise (and isaac Hayes) take themselves too seriously. Makes them both look like a-holes...especially Cruise. If this bothered him that much, he has more serious problems going on in his life...... :w:

[edit on 27-3-2006 by Excitable_Boy]

top topics

join