It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DoD Says It Could Build F-35 Without UK

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 08:22 AM
link   
OK, thats about the same as stealth spy's figures, so, seeing as I'm outnumbered and the Janes figures are estimates I will accept them (but my question to ss still stands - how can you verify their accuracy any more than the Janes ones?)

Indeed how can we know that the actual gap between them isn't the 600Kg or so I originally said,(or even less?) given that the Typhoon figures are also approximate?

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Let's set up a weighting (sp ?) session for the benefit of ATS readers then

btw I edited my post

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   
OK guys, you two nick the planes and I'll sort the scales out, you'll have to fly them in to Donny Airport though as I'll have to get the scales back to Maltby Pit before they're missed, deal?

For your comparison of the F-35 with the F-20 Waynos I don't get your point.

Its not quite the same thing, I'll grant you, but what I was getting at was the fact that nobody was willing to buy the F-20 because the USAF was unwilling to buy it, a case of 'we want F-16's like you have' and so the F-20 died.

What I am wondering with the F-35 is that nations which have been partners in programme since its inception might be seen to decide that, due American controls, they cannot proceed with buying the F-35 as it does not meet the needs of their armed forces, of course America will have hundreds of them in three versions but then America is calling all the shots, this may be the barrier to exports. those countries might think "If the UK is not trusted enough by America to have autonomy over an aircraft it has helped develop then what chance have we got?" The fear of course being that a sudden bout of American paranoia in its direction (whether justified or not) will render these hugely expensive aircraft completely useless and this could well put customers off buying it at all.

I beg to differ when you say countries will not care, I think at £100m a pop they will care very much that they can make their own decisions about how and when they can use them. Especially if any modification that could otherwise be handled by domestic industry has to be routed through Lockheed at huge and unnecessary expense.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Denmark are out of the F-35

www.primezone.com...

and under a month ago:

Defenceindustrydaily.com

Norway to back out of F-35??

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I rememebr that sory breaking about Denamrk and the Gripen DK, however I have seen nothing yet that confirms Denmarks withdrawal from the F-35.

I cannot see Denmark operating two different major combat aircraft though so I do think it is only a matter of time (if I missed the reference in your link I'm sorry, please point it out to me)

The Norwegian aspect is the one I was writing about earlier, I have also made posts on both these possibilities in other threads about the F-35.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Gripen DK... Looks like a press release from the Gripen group and not an official decision. Yet.

Countries having autonomy... Well except UK which has a strong aerospace industry, they don't seem to bother that much. Usually JSF partners complain more about the lack of compensations ("offsets" ? not sure what the right word is), and I think their main concern is the increasing price of the plane. Then for sharp technical stuff like upgrades, I envision something more along the lines of what is done in the civil aerospace industry, i.e. regional technical centers that could be the object of later bitter fights, everybody wanting to have one and trying to outbid the others.

Btw I'm surprised by the number of pictures that are available for the F-35, including construction pictures. Don't they have anything to hide ?

[edit on 2//4//06 by echoblade]

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Here are more details on the Eurofighter offer to Norway :

EADS reveals details of Eurofighter Typhoon offer to Norway to replace JSF order

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   
What tech in the F-35 does the US want to withhold?

Maybe it's this:

Wikipedia
Advanced weapons

The direct lift fan assembly, when not installed, provides approximately 100 ft3 of space, along with more than 27,000 hp (20 MW) available for electrical power production. This has made directed-energy weapons possible for the F-35. Some of these designs, including solid state lasers and high-power microwave beams, are thought to be nearing operational status.

Link

Anyhow, the F-35 seems the best bet to me, if Drayson gets his wish.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join