It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immigration and the Soul of America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 12:02 AM
link   
A destitute father risks all to try to bring his daughter to America....and looses everything. Juan Cruz-Torralva and his 12-year-old daughter, Lourdes were struck by a Border Patrol vehicle while attempting to cross into the United States.

hosted.ap.org
Mar 14, 3:10 PM EST
Immigrant Journey Ends With Girl's Death

By AMANDA LEE MYERS
Associated Press Writer

YUMA, Ariz. (AP) -- Juan Cruz-Torralva brought his 12-year-old daughter through the desert along the U.S.-Mexico border because he wanted a better life for her in the United States.

Three days into the journey, a U.S. Border Patrol agent spotted the group of illegal immigrants, and as the agent chased them, the Border Patrol truck hit Cruz-Torralva and his daughter, Lourdes, killing her.

Yuma County sheriff's detectives determined the death was an accident, but Cruz-Torralva was arrested on charges of endangerment. Deputies argued that he had placed the child in "risk of imminent death" by bringing her into the desert.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This story puts an all too human face on the reality of immigration. A reality that few dare to face.

The questions that arise are painful for all. The desperation of the Father, The Hope of the Family, The Duty of the Border Patrolman, The inaction of our government....

Are we doomed to half-baked Wall Constructs, Slavery, Smuggling, and Death? Can our "elected" oligarchs ever come to a workable immigration policy? Most importantly of all: Can the Soul of The United States of America survive many stories like this?

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Unfortunately, stories such as this are a far to common occurance. The few scant stories we see in the media are only a mere fraction of what occurs. As long as there is an "us vs. them" mentality, we will always have a hardline segment of society wanting to throw up a wall topped with barbed wire and manned machine guns.

Anytime there's an "us vs. them" mentality, it's easy to put compassion on the wayside. The Minuteman Militia was in the Houston area back in October, I believe. They started taking pictures of daylaborers, and of the contractors hiring them. The Minutemen had no idea if the daylaborers were illegal immigrants or not. In reality it's a mixture of both.
But it didn't matter to them. In their zeal for patriotism, they have dehumanized this segment of society.

Despite what a person's stance on immigration may be, until we get rid of this "us vs. them" dichotomy, I fear for the soul of this country.

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Immigration VS illegal immigration must be considdered, I am a LEGAL immigrant and I have my green card...

It was my own choice to come to the United States but in all reality i'd have more social benefits if I stayed in the Netherlands, but I chose to come to America since i'd have beter opertunities, and besides, it looked gloomy for my wife's case for immigration since I was not making an income.

So if you think immigrant, think of someone like me, legally coming here, don't confuse that with the illegals.

join