It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists: RFID Chips Can Carry Virus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   
New research has found that RFID chips are not immune to computer virus as previously thought. Dutch scientists created a RFID chip infected with a virus to prove that this could be done. People with bad intentions can use this to spread a computer virus to the back-end database used for the RFID and from there to other RFID chips. They can knock out databases and cause chaos at airports and supermarkets, actually any place where the RFIDs are used.

Khaleej Times Online: Radio chip barcodes can carry a virus: scientists
(Reuters)

15 March 2006

Researchers at the Amsterdam’s Free University created a radio frequency identity (RFID) chip infected with a virus to prove that RFID systems are vulnerable despite the extremely low memory capacity on the cheap chips. The problem is that an infected RFID tag, which is read wirelessly when it passes through a scanning gate, can upset the database that processes the information on the chip, says the study by Melanie Rieback, Bruno Crispo and Andrew Tanenbaum.

”Everyone working on RFID technology has tacitly assumed that the mere act of scanning an RFID tag cannot modify back-end software and certainly not in a malicious way. Unfortunately, they are wrong,” the scientists said in a paper. “An RFID tag can be infected with a virus and this virus can infect the back-end database used by the RFID software. From there it can be easily spread to other RFID tags,” they said

As a result, it is possible that criminals or militants could use an infected RFID tag to upset airline baggage handling systems with potentially devastating consequences, they said. The same technology could also be used to wreak havoc with the databases used by supermarkets.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I guess they will now have to come up with some kind of solution in order to counter this.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Link gave me an error when I clicked on it...

Interesting story. In a way, I actually consider this good news. This means if we ever all are forced to get chipped, we can fight back!
Gives something for the NWO survivalists to work on, anyhow, working on ways to hack RFID.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Best news I've heard all day

Anything that will keep these chips out of the population makes me happy.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne

Link gave me an error when I clicked on it...

Oops, you´re right. I don´t know what happened. It won´t let me post the link. It keeps changing it as soon as I hit preview as well...

Dae

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I dunno, this seems the usual "Oh its not gonna work so we will have to make them BETTER". Yeah, they say there "could" be problems so "we will design a better stonger faster...".

If they said, "Oh its not gonna work, we are going to scrap the whole idea" then its time for celebration and woohoos.

Dont mean to be a neg head here but it aint over til the fat lady sings.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I just wanted to point out that there are some good points made on this closed thread.
RFID Worm

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
the CNN and the MSNBC link are the same article.

You dont have the whole story just because some Dutch university kids wrote a script that initiated a preprogramed call procedure and subsequently changed the stored keys in the database does not mean that the conditions could be duplicated in the wild.

You will also see that they have access to an RFID chip burner and that more then likely they did not start out with an already circulating RFID chip but rather a newly burned one.

So the chance for this to be replicated in the wild are like highly minute.

Conviently they do not mention the software that they used nor the method. Its really a fluff article and mostly hype but lacking in the raw details that would expose the difficulty for this to reproduced in the wild.

And the other RFID chips were not infected but rather the manner which the scanner and decoding software read and then utilized the data was changed. Thereby resulting in a new set of results when further RFID tags were read.

The airline example would be if the database changed airport codes in the master database to something else. Such as AB = LAX but now AB = ORL

So then all the AB (LAX) routed bagage ends up on cargo cues going to ORL.

Like I said in the other thread you would have to now the back end programing function calls and the software would have to have a huge gapping hole in regards to edit mode changes for this to even become a possiblity. Most current RFID scanning systems are locked programming scans, meaning that must be placed under a specific software code instruction before any changes can be made to the database structure. Which usually requires unloading the database que entirely and then running a seperate compiler access routine before changes can be made.

So again highly controlled Dutch study that would be almost impossible to replicate in the wild

new topics

top topics

join