It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Renowned Bird Blu Expert Warns - Be Prepared

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Renowned Bird Flu Expert Warns: Be Prepared

Robert G. Webster is one of the few bird flu experts confident enough to answer the key question: Will the avian flu switch from posing a terrible hazard to birds to becoming a real threat to humans

then another snippit from further in the article (bold was done by me)

If the virus does mutate, it does not necessarily mean it will be as deadly to people as it is to birds. But experts such as Webster say they must prepare for the worst.

"I personally believe it will happen and make personal preparations," said Webster, who has stored a three-month supply of food and water at his home in case of an outbreak.

Frightening Warning
"Society just can't accept the idea that 50 percent of the population could die. And I think we have to face that possibility," Webster said. "I'm sorry if I'm making people a little frightened, but I feel it's my role."

Most scientists won't put it that bluntly, but many acknowledge that Webster could be right about the flu becoming transmissible among humans, even though they believe the 50 percent figure could be too high.

This has not been our year - since Jan. either myself or DH has been sick with a never ending bronchitis - I would hate to think what would happen to us if there was an avian flu that was going from human to human -- personally I think I will start up gathering a few more things to have on hand - just in case -- if not needed it can always be used later.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
This whole bird thing makes me dizzy.
I don't know if it's a case of TMI or what.
Or maybe, what imformation to trust.

Buy NANO masks or not? Stock up on benedryl or not?
Sure, I can stockpile enough foods for about 6 weeks. But water, who has that kind of room

I do know you can only do so much, and you just can't worry about it. Cause stress will kill sooner than bird flu. (not that I am attacking your post, justme,
....just making a general statement)

"It may not do it. There may just be too many changes. The virus may not be able to be a human virus," Moscona said.
~~~~~~~~~~
"I don't think that once we have human-to-human transmission, it's going to be possible to contain it," she said.

That is why nearly every viral scientist in America, perhaps the world, is waiting and watching the avian flu virus to see if it remains just a threat to birds or changes its genetic code and becomes a deadly threat to humans as well.

www.abcnews.go.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
But water, who has that kind of room

You can get the big blue plastic water barrels from emergency food supply
places. We have three. (got 'em for Y2k. Should have them anyways).

Also - CLOROX. Plain liquid clorox. There is a drop to water ratio
that you are supposed to use. You could use water from the tap,
or rain water that you collect, and then use clorox.

But you have to get the mix right, or you could make it worse for
yourself. I'll have to check our supplies and see what the ratio is.
I can't remember right now.

But ... plain CLOROX is what to have!!

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe[
Buy NANO masks or not? Stock up on benedryl or not?
Sure, I can stockpile enough foods for about 6 weeks. But water, who has that kind of room

I do know you can only do so much, and you just can't worry about it. Cause stress will kill sooner than bird flu. (not that I am attacking your post, justme,
....just making a general statement)

My computer is acting up so if the typing comes out weird that is why - I actually haven't thought about bird flu much lately - been too sick to care actually
But this article just made me think about some things again.

I figure I will get some more canned/boxed stuff I can keep extra of - I will also stock up on some meds that are over the counter. And some paper stuff you use all the time - we drink bottled water so I will just get some extra on that (not enough to do the full amount mentioned but more than I normally have on hand)

I figure that way if there is a problem I will have some stuff on hand - and if not it is no loss as it is all stuff we will use it anyway -and if we continue to be sick like we have the past few months we can eat out of that without having to worry about going to the store anyway.

We haven't gotten any of the masks or anything and I don't know that I will. Unless DH can use them for when he is working on his new lathe also.

But I am just a product of girl scouts - I have supplies on hand for hurricanes and storms anyway already - so it is just a matter of getting some more to last a little longer for this.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I know this seems so unreal but do stock up. If and that's a big if but if a quarantine is imposed in certain areas people will panic even if it's not in there area and the food and water will go flying off the shevles.
Some small things you can do.
- Water (goes without saying)
- any script meds in case you can't leave your home
- OTC meds
- masks (dust ones will work fine)
- powedered and canned goods such as bisquick
- peanut butter lots of this
- diapers, and kid stuff that you have to buy weekly.
- pet food too

These are just some of the things that I have stocked up on and won't go bad.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Be warned. This new so called bird flu that is coming your way is man made.

Its not a natural virus.

This time THEY wanna kill billions.

Natural flu virus which occurs in birds is not a deadly killer. It can kill only a few dozen people who are already weak or unhealthy.

The HN51 is NOT a virus that exists in nature.

THEY have secretly modified the harmless bird virus into an ultimate monster:

check out the medical journal Lancet:

www.timesonline.co.uk...

you ask what is the the reason for the mass murder plot?

Easy. Its ways money stupid. The final plan is being finalised:

www.telegraph.co.uk.../money/2005/10/22/ccflu22.xml

THEIR PLAN : Only way to bring down the challenge from China. make em sneeze.

Soon it will be an economic Superpower to rival the United States.

world cannot sustain two superpowers. Not enough resourses. blame the birds.

[edit on 15-3-2006 by mr conspiracy]

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Think about how quickly and easily the flu spreads normally. Think about what you'd've to do to not get it. You'd have to stay at home, without going to work, without going to the store, without receiving postal packages. You couldn't send your kids to school, you couldn't visit your relatives.

Webster, who has stored a three-month supply of food and water at his home in case of an outbreak.

What exactly is a 3 month supply of food and water? Anyone have experience in this sort of thing?

Also, who is selling tamiflu right now? Keeping in mind that its not a cure, not a preventative, and might not even work on any h5n1 avian-mutant virus.

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
The virus may not be able to be a human virus

We have already seen human-human transmission, it was just stopped in time.

flyers fan
You could use water from the tap, or rain water that you collect, and then use clorox

You shouldn't need to disinfect your water, the flu doesn't spread through the water system.

mr conspiracy
Its not a natural virus.

Bollocks. Its a type of bird flu, every year there is a spread of a new strain of flu viruses that spreads out of china to the rest of the world. Every so often a type of flu virus gets really powerful. There is absolutely nothing unnatural about this.

check out the medical journal Lancet:

That news article, which is not an article from the journal the lancet, does not say that the virus is unnatural.

Flu viruses have a particular set of chemicals that vary, one class is "h" the other is "n". There are different kinds of each, thus there are h1 through 5 (or more, I dunno), and nN1 through 5 (again, more or less), and thus flu virus lineages are called "H5N1" or "H5N3" "H2N5", etc etc. There has not been an outbreak of any H5N1 type of flu (whether its avian flu, pig flu, etc) in recent human history, therefore there is no natural resistance to it. That hardly means that it doesn't occur in nature, infact, h5n1 types are expected to be in nature, just as all the other combinations of types are expected to occur. Indeed, this particular strain of flu started out exactly where the flu allways starts, china. Its not man-made, its expected and natural that there are powerful and dangerous diseases out in the world.

[edit on 15-3-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

What exactly is a 3 month supply of food and water? Anyone have experience in this sort of thing?

Approximately 1 Gallon of water per person per day. You’ll want to have around 1500-2000 calories of food per day per person. Make sure you get some roughage and some protein each meal. Use vitamins to supplement your diet and make sure everyone stays healthy.

Here’s a good link on purifying water (the most important thing).

I keep 5-6 huge jars of peanut butter, 200-300 ponds of rice, honey, misc goodies, some multi-day vitamins / canned veggies and fruit as well as 100 gallons of fresh water in our spare bedroom closet. We then cycle out this stuff as we use things up (we eat a lot of rice and our extended family purchases it from us from time to time).

Keep 6-12 months of rent in the bank and lots and LOTS of silver somewhere safe (NOT a bank).

You’ll want to have something to start a fire with, a grill or gas stove (to cook) and dozens of other small things (flashlight, batteries, radio, GUN and AMMO, …most of which you can pick up at your local wal-mart (and thank those Chinese suckers for taking our worthless FRN’s in exchange for real goods and services while in the checkout line).

Of course long time posters can remember me asking folks to buy silver last year (at $5.00 / oz).

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Be warned. This new so called bird flu that is coming your way is man made.

Ok normally I am all over a conspiracy but this I do not believe is a manmade virus. Viruses cannot be controlled. So for sake of argument they (powers that be) decided we need to take out a few million people.
Even if they bioengeneered a virus to release to the population you would still have a virus that was able to mutate into something else.
Why would they let a potential killer on the loose why not just create the human receptor so it could already transmit into people?
That just doesn't make sense.

Oh and bird viruses can be lethal to birds just as the known flu's we get can also be.
Did they manufacture the Spanish Flu too? No because we didn't have that kind of technology back then. Viruses are resilent and will change to adapt and survive.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I read somewhere yesterday that the Russians are all saying and telling their people that the Bird Flu has been concocted by the USA.

I will try to find the article. In any case, not many would beleive it. Oh, and dont forget to stock up on your Tamiflu.

[edit on 16-3-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   
There are more efficent ways of a making a deadly virus , why spread something that may or may not die out and may or may not spread to people easily?

If they wanted to create a super flu, why not merge the flu-avian flu in the lab and then release it ?

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   

If they wanted to create a super flu, why not merge the flu-avian flu in the lab and then release it ?

That was my point exactly. At this point the H5N1 hasn't made the leap into humans so if you were manufacturing a virus just make it deadly to begin with.

I also read I think on the Drudge report that the a Russian official was blaming the US because the US was the only place that wasn't infected with the Avian Flu.

But the birds don't migrate on this path during the winter BUT now that spring is here they will migrate into Alaska so we will get it soon.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Before long I'll spread everywhere, not due to the government, but because its highly infectious in birds.

If it hasn't already arrived somewhere in the UK, it'll soon arrive courtesy of the french

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr conspiracy

Who are 'they'?? Surely everyone knows that if 'they'
start a pandemic that 'they' won't be safe from it either.

1/2 the planet dead (some estimates) ... ALL aspects of
life severely impacted or destroyed. Foods, meds, heating oil
- everything stopped cold.

'They' must be suicidal if 'they' are starting it.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

flyers fan
You could use water from the tap ... and then use clorox

... the flu doesn't spread through the water system.

I read a really good book this weekend. It's fiction, but it was
interesting. It's called 'the short history of the dead'. A manufactured
virus is put into coke formulas at certain distributors. It mutates and
ends up airborne and waterborne, killing every person on the planet.

It was fiction. I don't know if it could happen or not for real.
But I have clorox set aside anyways. Just in case. (have
had for a decade now).

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by mr conspiracy

[...]

'They' must be suicidal if 'they' are starting it.

Maybe 'they' have the cure but are not telling? Maybe that's why 'they' are said to refuse to share data concerning bird flu?

Anyway, Clorox is just watered down hydrochloric acid, right? HCl... that stinky acid that smells like puke?

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
What I plan to do - is figure what we eat all the time and just stock up on a few extra each time I go to the store - And I am going for some stuff that is easy like the rice bags that goes in the micro for 90 secs. You can heat them up on a stove if necessary but If you don't feel well the 90 sec. thing is a godsend - as we have found out over the past few months. And I will have some cake mixes etc too - so you can have some kind of treat occasionally. I will have peanut butter, pasta, tuna, shrimp, crab - and also spam (which I happen to like
) corned beef, corned beef hash, soups, maybe even some dinty more beef stew (which I have never had before) - on hand - and I am basically going thru my pantry to see what I have and use now - and will supplement that with a few more. Then I will use my foodsaver on some things to keep them bug free and fresher and put it in containers in the basement.

I won't have enough for 6 months or whatever but whatever I have extra I figure is good - and like I said earlier if it doesn't happen - it is all stuff we use normally so it can still be used. And it is also all good for snow/ice storm or hurricane supplies also.

It will take some time to do this little by little but that's ok too. DH doesn't pay attention to any of this on the news or anything and would refuse to think that it could possible happen at all - so if I do it slowly I don't have to listen to him tell me it is al hooey either

I'm also going to plan on having some extra wool to knit and other projects to work on to pass time.

Anyway that is my plan - for some reason when I read the original article where the expert says he is going to have a plan in effect it hit home with me.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Imagine a flu virus that came along and:

caused illness that was clinically apparent in 33% of the worlds poulation

killed 50-100 million people or killed 2.5-5% of those infected

that was the 1918-1919 avian influenza virus

If the H5N1 becomes human to human we are talking up 360 million people killed by The flu in successive waves over 2-3 years. Another 400 million could be infected and debilitated for extended periods of time.

H5N1 is not Serpo, Titor, chupacabra, or a crashed UFO in Texas. H5N1 is in otherwords REAL folks. Spend a little time stocking a few extras just in case. It is not like your getting ready for an alien invasion or time traveler warning of impending doom to drum up page views and advertising clicks

Water, rice and peanut butter are nice for surviving 6 months but toilet paper is better than news paper!!!

[edit on 16-3-2006 by IntelRetard]

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntelRetard
Water, rice and peanut butter are nice for surviving 6 months but toilet paper is better than news paper!!!

[edit on 16-3-2006 by IntelRetard]

Well, I didn't even think to put that down because doesn't everyone have at least 6 months of toilet paper and paper towels on hand? Thanks to Price Club and or BJ's I always have lots of that on hand myself
In fact there is a package of both waiting to go up into the attic right now. And it works as extra insulation also

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
duplicate post - sorry

[edit on 17-3-2006 by justme1640]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join