It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gitmo Prisoners Don't Want to Go Home

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   
That’s right; some Gitmo detainee’s don’t want to go home. Why you ask? Good question. The short answer is that they will be tortured and killed if they are returned home. That’s right; they would rather stay at Club Gitmo or be released elsewhere than go home to be tortured.

Wait a minute!!!! I thought they were being tortured at Gitmo? That’s what the foreign media and special interest groups say, so it must be true!

But more logical thinking has come to a different conclusion.

The detainee’s of course aren’t really being tortured at Gitmo, they never were. Don’t confuse being treated like a prisoner with being tortured. Being a prisoner is not pleasant, but its not torture. The nasty stuff at Abu Ghraib was real, but it never happened at Gitmo. Detainees at Gitmo were told to lie about their treatment by Al Qaeda, lawyers, governments, and maybe even the Red Cross. It was a tactic, a ploy to get attention or at the very least agenda driven propaganda.

But now the truth emerges. These detainee’s are more terrified to go HOME than stay at Gitmo. Why? Why would they rather not go home? For two reasons: One: they aren’t, and never were tortured at Gitmo, its not bad there at all, and Two: they will be tortured or killed back home for fear that they gave up information to the Americans. But wait, wouldn’t that imply that they know something? Why would they fear retribution back home if they were innocent and didn’t have any information to give? Hmmmmm….

But don’t take my word for it, read the article. The detainees at Gitmo FEAR going HOME from GITMO because they will be TORTURED.

Breitbart.com

Fearing militants or even their own governments, some prisoners at Guantanamo Bay from China, Saudi Arabia and other nations do not want to go home, according to transcripts of hearings at the U.S. prison in Cuba.

Uzbekistan, Yemen, Algeria and Syria are also among the countries to which detainees do not want to return. The inmates have told military tribunals that they or their families could be tortured or killed if they are sent back.

President Bush has said the United States transfers detainees to other countries only when it receives assurances that they will not be tortured…

And this statement:

Saudi identified only as Yasim, who said he attended an al-Qaeda training camp in Afghanistan and was jailed in his country for selling drugs, told the tribunal that after being repeatedly interrogated at Guantanamo, he fears his fellow prisoners as well as others back in Saudi Arabia.

"I can't go back to my country. I have been threatened to be killed by many people," he said, according to the transcripts, which the Pentagon released Friday in response to a Freedom of Information Act Lawsuit filed by The Associated Press.

There you have it folks: The vacationers at Club Gitmo don’t want to go home because it’s better there and abroad than at home. Take it from them…

[edit on 7-3-2006 by skippytjc]

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Urmm...

All these countries will torture them if they return. To death, most likely. At least at Gitmo they may every now and then need a few live bodies to parade before the cameras.

What's your logic here? That an American concentration camp is somehow good because, hey, it's not Saudi Arabia? You should hold our country to higher standards.

If you want critical thinking, ask yourself, why is the US government releasing "combatants" from Gitmo..... hrmmm...

www.usatoday.com...

Also may as well wonder why they have no problem going back to places that don't have autocratic, despotic regimes, often in cahoots with the CIA.

[edit on 7-3-2006 by koji_K]

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K
Urmm...

All these countries will torture them if they return. To death, most likely. At least at Gitmo they may every now and then need a few live bodies to parade before the cameras....

...Also may as well wonder why they have no problem going back to places that don't have autocratic, despotic regimes, often in cahoots with the CIA.

Don’t forget the USA didn’t WANT to release this information, the Associated Press sued them for it, this is not USA Propaganda

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc

Don’t forget the USA didn’t WANT to release this information, the Associated Press sued them for it, this is not USA Propaganda

Makes no difference to me, as far as my response goes.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Please, "Parade before the cameras", You imply that these guys are propaganda pieces for the US. The world wants the skinny on Gitmo, the USA was/is reluctant to share Gitmo information. But when its finally sued to release it, it shows an entirely different story than what the media expected and reported. Thats what I mean by my response.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I'm not saying they're propaganda pieces... they're obviously not. I was being (or trying to be) sarcastic, regarding parading before the cameras. As in, they need to prove to the world that at least the prisoners aren't all dead, since we hear nothing else about them. (Current FOIA releases notwithstanding.)

You're trying to make it sound as though the fact that prisoners would rather be in an American gulag than a third world gulag is somehow surprising. It's not. It makes perfect sense. It doesn't mean the prisoners want to be in Gitmo. It doesn't even mean they are being treated well at Gitmo. It just means it's better than being tortured to death in Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, Algeria, or Syria.

How can this possibly be different from what anyone expected? What the prisoners want is to be free, or at the very least least charged with a crime if they are guilty... not locked in Gitmo, not locked somewhere else. And if it's a surprise to a single person that American detention camps are better than ones in those countries, than it's a very sad day to be an American.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Well, the British ones released back here don't seem to have been tortured to death yet... so maybe not all of them are or should be scared eh?

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Well, lets check this Lucky Winners:

A Saudi identified only as Yasim, who said he attended an al-Qaida training camp in Afghanistan and was jailed in his country for selling drugs, told the tribunal that after being repeatedly interrogated at Guantanamo, he fears his fellow prisoners as well as others back in Saudi Arabia.

"I can't go back to my country. I have been threatened to be killed by many people," he said, according to the transcripts, which the Pentagon released Friday in response to a Freedom of Information Act Lawsuit filed by The Associated Press.

Well, that makes sense. He is a Saudi Arabian and guess WHAT? In Saudi Arabia it is Also Legal to Torture people. In Saudi Arabia there is also Sharia Law in effect - actually Saudi Arabia is the Birthplace of Sharia Law.

But Saudi Arabia is also a BIG FRIEND with the US Goverment - so nobody will actually say anyhting against them. They are OKEY.

And prisoners from China? Now we all know what the Chinese do with their prisoners. Let me tell you - there is ALOT of Chinese people, and you can quickly just dissapear in some deep dungeon in China.

Actually this story is just an attempt to Divert people from the Actual Torture that IS going on in Gitmo, and that is going on elsewhere - like in Iraq

But - the question is: Is the United States any Different?

Judging from Photos we have seen from Abu Gharib and Guantanamo, they are not. Well if you do not count it, that the soldiers were actually that SMART to record the torture they commited, so that now, we have EVIDENCE against them.

I bet in Saudi Arabia and China they do not do photos of people they torture and kill in process.

Go Figure.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Interesting post Skippytjc. To me it just means that though bad things may happen at Gitmo they're not frequent-bad enough to compete with the worst environments mankind can create (when we put our minds to it).

Frankly I feel really sorry for anyone imprisoned at Gitmo and who faces going somewhere even worse. And no doubt our interrogators will be happy to keep them constantly reminded of this reality.

I still think Gitmo is a disgrace to the standards of the American people but I now know it’s not a disgrace to the standards of Arab dictatorships.

And if Gitmo is to become a place that represents the educated will of Americans then...
1. Everyone there must be given some form of decent trial within say about 3 months.
2. Everyone there must be facing or have had a proper trial at some later date.
3. The living conditions at Gitmo should be no worse than any other prison found in the United States (would obviously include death row).
4. And if the U.S tortures to save lives then it should also be prepared to torture its own people should they know where say dangerous drugs-weapons might be hidden.

Meanwhile the reality of these poor prisoners kind of reminds of the parents who beat up their kids and tell them "at least we didn't kill you".
I say "poor prisoners" because even if they want to kill me, they are still not being treated by authority in a way which is fair, decent or just.

[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

top topics

join