It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geo-Thermal Oil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I once took a Hydro-Geology class in which the professor speculated that oil is not a fossil fuel at all, and that the Earth's natural geo-thermal process produces the oil we are using, and could theoretically keep producing it for millennia.

Do I believe it? No, not necessarily, but on the other hand I have seen the "experts" declare that oil will be gone in the near future, and I am thinking of 1970 or so.

Is it possible that oil is a renewable resource?

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowbear
I once took a Hydro-Geology class in which the professor speculated that oil is not a fossil fuel at all, and that the Earth's natural geo-thermal process produces the oil we are using, and could theoretically keep producing it for millennia.

Well you had quite the maverick teacher as that is not the sort of thing many of them will even admit to wondering about.

Do I believe it? No, not necessarily, but on the other hand I have seen the "experts" declare that oil will be gone in the near future, and I am thinking of 1970 or so.

The peak-oil doom and gloom game have been going on for a century with the volume of lies and deception steadily increasing over the years. It's not going to stop but we can at least learn to ignore it.

Is it possible that oil is a renewable resource?

Yes it is quite possible and i for one have seen enough evidence and information surrounding the topic to think it is in fact just such a resource.

Here is a ( very) few of the links i have used to educate myself on the topic.

No particular order btw.

Greasing the Palms of the Oil Barons

New oil being created today?

CONSIDERATIONS ABOUT RECENT PREDICTIONS
OF IMPENDING SHORTAGES OF PETROLEUM EVALUATED FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF MODERN PETROLEUM SCIENCE.

Fears of dwindling oil supply unfounded

Oil, Oil, Everywhere . . .

Odd Reservoir Off Louisiana Prods
Oil Experts to Seek a Deeper Meaning

Fuel's Paradise

The Origins of Oil and Petroleum

Thomas Gold

New Ideas in Science

Sustainable oil?

Discovering oil

Oil Reserves Are Increasing

Oil and Gas-"Renewable Resources"?

American scientist talking about it? Well here are some links with the first couple being into the serious science aspect.

Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America
www.pnas.org...
www.pnas.org...
&searchid=1116989848949_817&stored_search=&FIRSTINDEX=0&minscore=5000&journalcode=pnas
www.pnas.org...
&searchid=1116989848949_817&stored_search=&FIRSTINDEX=0&minscore=5000&journalcode=pnas
www.pnas.org...
www.pnas.org...
fulltext=genesis+of+hydrocarbons+and+the+origin+of+petroleum&searchid=1085470440708_510&stored_
search=&FIRSTINDEX=0

Petroleum under pressure

J.F. Kenney, Gas Resources Corporation, Houston, TX
V. A. Krayushkin, T. I. Tchebanenko, V. P. Klochko, Ye. S. Dvoryanin
Institute of Geological Sciences, Kiev, Ukraine
gasresources.net...

Thomas Gold, Professor emeritus of astronomy at Cornell University
About the man... www.news.cornell.edu...
The science... people.cornell.edu... based on data from the U.S. Geological Survey.

American Association of Petroleum Geologists www.aapg.org...

Gas Research Institute ....
www.gastechnology.org...

Geotimes
www.geotimes.org...

Michael C. Lynch, president of Strategic Energy and Economic Research and formerly chief energy economist for DRI-WEFA.
www.energyseer.com...

Jean Whelan, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute, Massachusetts
www.whoi.edu... and www-ocean.tamu.edu... Professor Mahlon Kennicutt II , Chemical Oceanography, Texas A&M University: Department of Oceanography both had some very choice things to say that im still looking for in my mess of a links directory.....

Well there is more but i would have to do more sorting and searching to find them in my bookmarks folder.

Stellar

[edit on 19-3-2006 by StellarX]

new topics

join