It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Dakota law bans nearly all abortions

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I don't think late term abortions are ok, they don't make sense, why wait till you're eight months pregnant to terminate a pregnancy? The exception being if the mother's life is at risk. I don't really think abortion is a good idea though I certainly wouldn't join a pro life march or anything. I think abortion is definitely acceptable if the mother's life is at risk or if she was raped. If it's a choice between the mother's life and the baby's it's obviously the mother's; she was there first and it is her body. And if she was raped why should she be accepted to keep it? She had absolutely no choice in the conception (and I don't need to hear any flaming pro-lifers tell me it was her fault because of how she was dressed
rape happens because of opportunity and the way someone's dressed is no reason to rape them). Also in that circumstance who cares if it's human or not? I certainly wouldn't keep it. I also don't think men get criticized enough for abortion. Who gets the women pregnant? Themselves?! Men need to stop being sex obsessed pigs and take the responsibility as well. Not to sound preachy but I really do think the best prevention for abortion is abstinence until marriage.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I hate to be the jerk, but it's painfully obvious that it is my role here, whether i like it or not, so here goes...

1. When life biologically begins is strictly academic and offers no real support for the Christian wing of the pro-life side. For all intents and purposes, life begins when experience begins. Prior to that, you have a heartbeat, not a life; you have the POTENTIAL for a life. I point out that semen is on the same level with a fetus if my view is correct. Please note that Genesis 38, verses 8-10 are on my side here. God killed Onan for um... how do i put this gently... taking certain measures to ensure that sex did not result in conception. What we are really talking about here is the destruction of potential. In that context, abortion is no worse than just not having sex.

2. The pro-life claim that men need an equal say in the abortion decision is flawed in that it suggests that a man has decided to father a child and wants to raise it, yet has done so with a woman who A. doesn't know that's what he has in mind. B. doesn't know him well enough to have already communicated that she doesn't want a child. Such instances will be exceptionally rare. Men would use their say to demand abortions, not to prevent them. Furthermore, there is no equal say- it's a yes or no question, there is no third option or negotiation. "equal say" amounts to veto power, which is unilateral decision making. The point of equality can only be in the bedroom, therefore men need to be a little more selective about who they spend their naked time with. Sorry.

3. Many abortions are the product of irresponsibility. There should probably be a hefty fine and a few weeks worth of classes associated with abortion, not because it's wrong but because if you're stupid enough to get pregnant by accident you are a danger to yourself. How does an accidental pregnancy happen exactly? Unless you're having sex and still wondering where babies come from it should be nothing doing to reduce your odds of pregnancy to something around 1 in several thousand.
America would save itself a lot of time and energy if we'd just drop the abortion debate and agree to stop having unprotected sex and then saying "whoops" as if our dad had never sat us down and made a fool out of himself explaining what playboy had already taught us.

4. (and here's the part where I accidentally step out of the party line and start taking fire from both sides, by making a parallel argument to #3 against women)... this issue has spit to do with women's rights, unless the right to be foolish has recently become a big issue for that movement. Not only are you a bit smarter than us on average, but this problem is in the one arena where you are, without a doubt, holding all of the cards. Women have ruled entire empires from the bedroom in history, and you mean to tell me that you can't make your boyfriend use protection?

Yeah, he says its uncomfortable. You say "good, maybe you'll get a full 3 minutes that way." He'll leave you then, but the idea will stick and he'll try it with the next girl, so you'll be doing a service for your gender.

OK, case closed. Next item on the agenda is doctor assisted suicide- it seems to me that this and abortion should be package deal- both legal or both not- hey you could even have them both done by the same doctor- get an abortion and you get a coupon for 50% off on a doctor assisted suicide, in case you get depressed about the decision you made.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Greetings Fellow Believers,

There are several examples of legalized murder: abortion; capital punishment; legal use of a firearm against an intruder; soldiers in battle killing the enemy.

The assumption that "a person has the right to have control over their own body" does not qualify with pregnancy. However, abortion must remain legal--or all other legal forms of murder must become illegal.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Interesting proposition Jack: A person does not have the right to control their body while they are pregnant. I suspect you will be hearing it from some people soon, but since, as I have mentioned, the question is largely academic to me (afterall, I'm a man- any vested interest in the matter ended for me the moment I saw daylight), I'll be the one to question you, because I think I can do it politely.

On what reasoning do you claim that one does not have the right to control their body while pregnant?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join