It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comments about the Oscars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
1. Jon Stewart was better than Billy Crystal. I think they found a winner.

2. Mickey Rooney looks like death warmed over.

3. Whatever Lauren Bacall was on, she wasn't on enough of it. Did you get a load of her trying to read the teleprompter? That was freakin' brutal. She effed up every other word.

4. That song about being a pimp was quite possibly the worst song I've ever heard and it won the Oscar for best song. Personally I wouldn't even consider it a song because it had no intrinsic song qualities. It was a bunch of freakin' noise. Thanks, but if I want to see the Wu Tang Clan I'll watch the MTV music awards.

Did anybody else watch it? Any other observations?

Peace

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
1. Jon Stewart was better than Billy Crystal. I think they found a winner.

Probably one of the best ever. I thought he was perfect for it.

2. Mickey Rooney looks like death warmed over.

They didn't dig him up for the event?

3. Whatever Lauren Bacall was on, she wasn't on enough of it. Did you get a load of her trying to read the teleprompter? That was freakin' brutal. She effed up every other word.

Wasn't she buried next to Mick? Man she was shaking like a leaf and couldn't string more than 3 or 4 words together. I kind of felt bad for her because I thought she was going to collapse.

4. That song about being a pimp was quite possibly the worst song I've ever heard and it won the Oscar for best song. Personally I wouldn't even consider it a song because it had no intrinsic song qualities. It was a bunch of freakin' noise. Thanks, but if I want to see the Wu Tang Clan I'll watch the MTV music awards.

Probably the worst here for this section. Was not really a fan for any of the songs. Especially that one.

I thought it was too long as usual, but it was one of the better shows in recent years. Stewart is the perfect host and should keep him coming back.

Pumped that Crash one for Best Picture, I loved the movie and thought it was amazing. Deffinately was the underdog going in and glad to see them get the nod.

Clooney got his oscar, you kind of knew Supporting Actor was his lone shot at winning and good to see that get out of the way early. Was hoping to see Phoenix win Best actor, but I guess it is fitting for Hoffman. Alot of talented choices this year.

Do you find that their are alot of awards that could be dished out when the cameras are off? Man their were alot of awards noone gave a hoot about.

I enjoyed some of the speeches, Witherspoons was one of the better ones I would say. Seemed scripted alittle but her personality almost makes it come off natural.

Did you see Gary Busey on the red carpet? They interviewed him when he was with Matt Dillon. The guy is beyond creepy lately. If I had a kid who was watching I would of been changing the channel.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Did you see Gary Busey on the red carpet? They interviewed him when he was with Matt Dillon. The guy is beyond creepy lately. If I had a kid who was watching I would of been changing the channel.

Gary Busey left sanity behind a long time ago. Dude is about as unstable as you can get. That show on TV called I'm With Busey was pretty damn entertaining though. It must have been cancelled 'cause I don't see it on anymore.

Another thing I noticed was Dolly Parton's face. It had not one line on it because she's had about a hundred facelifts. She look like a wax statue with big knockers.

Peace

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I thought Jon Stewart did a pretty good job. I loved the Bjork and Cheyney joke that was good. The opening segment was great. I cracked up when he woke up in bed with Clooney.

I love Lauren Bacall and I felt very bad when she made some mistakes reading the teleprompter. I don't know if it's just because she is old, couldn't really read it, or a combination of the two.

I was shocked that the rap song won. Other than the woman singing the title of the song and the line about how it's hard to make rent what were the lyrics? I figured Dolly was going to get it. Jon said it the best. He said something like "martin scorsese 0. Three Gang Mafia (Or whatever the rap group was ) 1."

I did so-so with my Oscar picks. I knew Hoffman was going to get Best Actor, and that Weisz or Williams had the shot at Supporting Actress. A bit surprised on Clooney, and totally surprised with Reese. A few hours earlier I watched Walk the Line, and thought it was a great film. I thought she did a great job (And she was cute as hell) but I thought she was the long shot for Best Actress. Now the shock came for Best Picture. I was certain it was going to be Brokeback. I was amazed, shocked, and glad about Crash. I saw Crash a few weeks ago and I thought it was amazing but figured that going up against the other BP nominees it didn't stand much of a chance.

I would like to see Stewart do it again. He was pretty good as host.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Reese did do all the singing and instruments for the picture though. That is a huge undertaking and a major risk. She said in an interview she tried daily for her lawyers to get out of the contract when she found out they were doing an album. I am sure she had some humour in it, but just shows you how much work went into this. I was actually confident that she would win.

Crash was the big shock of the night for sure though.

Also Clooney, the fact he was nominated for Picture, and was not really close to winning, Directing, and was not really close. Took his name off as producer of the film and gave up on a nomination their, and then lost out on another award with a nomination in a category I can not remember off the top of my head. Best supporting was a sure win in my thoughts.

Gotta love having Jack throw out the last award

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I think Jack giving out the last award should be a new tradition... along with Stewart hosting. He was really good.

The only 2 "majors" I missed on my sheet were Best Picture and Best Director. I was surprised by both. I had it the other way around with Brokeback taking Picture and Crash taking Director.... Oh well, I still one the trophy at the party that night! Woo Hoo!

I thought Reese was a shoe-in based not only on her outstanding performance in "Walk the Line" but also some of her past work like "Election" and "Pleasantville"... both of which she was beyond good in. It just felt like her year.

I actually got the Best Song right too, but that's because I used a George Costanza "do the opposite" strategy. The Best Song category is *always* one I think I have picked perfectly, and the last one I expect to win takes it. I just *knew* "Blame Canada" from the South Park movie would win... It was by far the most original and best song that year.... likewise with "Kiss at the End of the Rainbow" from A Mighty Wind... Neither won. So this year I gave up and chose the one I least liked. It worked! Hoorah!

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
That song about being a pimp was quite possibly the worst song I've ever heard and it won the Oscar for best song. Personally I wouldn't even consider it a song because it had no intrinsic song qualities. It was a bunch of freakin' noise. Thanks, but if I want to see the Wu Tang Clan I'll watch the MTV music awards.

They won because those in the Academy feared being victimized in a drive-by. Don't worry though, after winning they promptly melted down thier statues to make more teeth and bullets.

[edit on 3/9/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Im a huge fan of Jon stewart on the daily show but I dont know I didnt think his brand of humor translated well. He seemed to get some pretty mixed reviews for his Oscar performance.

Johnny Carson was my fav so that hard to live up too

For the awards I really thought Hayao Miyazaki floating castle should have won best animated film over Wallace & Gromet

I wanted Joaquin Phoenix for Best Actor. IMO he should have already gotten one for Gladiator he stole the show from Russle Crowe in that

top topics

join