It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

nasa's new supercomputers and shuttle replacement theories!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 04:01 AM
link   
"the 1,024 processor Origin 3800 allows us (nasa) allows to accomplish in hours jobs that literraly to months or even years on previouse systems"
-> www.sgi.com...

"The agency has a decade, or less, to develop a new ship that safely can deliver astronauts to and from the International Space Station. The only way to get that job done is not to repeat the mistakes of the past, most notably a penchant to reach beyond current technological capabilities to fabricate a shuttle replacement out of a material critics have branded as "unobtainium."
-> www.floridatoday.com...

it seems nasa has new technology for their computers i cant wait to see what new technology they come up with for a new shuttle! any one else exited about this?

[edit on 5-3-2006 by stuffofnightmares]

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by stuffofnightmares
it seems nasa has new technology for their computers i cant wait to see what new technology they come up with for a new shuttle! any one else exited about this?

I do not know if we can call it new.

SGI and NASA collaborated to extend the limits of SGI Origin family systems, culminating in the delivery of the first 1,024-processor SGI® Origin® 3800 system in July 2001.

From www.sgi.com...

A little more research at SGI's site showed me that Volvo, Ford, the Amsterdam Academic Computing Center, even the French television has a Origin® 3800, but only NASA and the Amsterdam Academic Computing Center have a 1024 processor system.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
oo the writing is soo small on the page looks like i skipped by the date!

join