It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can't we fix this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   
AAAArgh! Sometimes using ATS can be very disheartening. I have just spent TWO HOURS typing, planning, correcting, a very detailed post for a new topic on the aircraft board but, silly me, I forgot to put a title to it before I tried to post it. Silly me again, I did the post on the board itself instead of in Word or somesuch.

The upshot of this is that the board instructed me to hit the 'back' button and add a title but when you do this the post is gone! all that work wasted! I haven't got the heart to sit and do it all again so nobody on ATS will ever know what I was going to say.

The thing is that on other MB's I use this doesn't happen, you hit 'Back', make your corrections and repost it with no problems, why does ATS wipe out your typing? Given that it does this why does the board instruct you to hit the back button in the first place? Very cruel.

Can't this be amended?

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 06:39 AM
link   
What browser are you using?

I use Opera and it always works for me.

I think he safest bet though is to write the post out in something like word or note pad first then copy and paste the text into your browser. That way you won't lose anything.

If you don't like note pad then you could use this page i made a while ago

www.fearisthemindkiller.co.uk...

[edit on 2-3-2006 by Burgess]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I use firefox, before that i used IE, but why does this only happen on ATS?

I know what you are saying and another thing I normally do with a long post is to right click and copy it before posting in case there is a problem, however we all make mistakes so why shouldn't you just be able to hit 'back' and still have your text on screen like you can on other messageboards? That is really my question.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I know that SO is working on a new revision of ATS, maybe it'll be fixed then.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I had a little look at the headers ATS returns and i think the reason it happens is because they have there Cache-Control set like this

Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate,post-check=0, pre-check=0

That basically tells your browser not to cache the page and to always contact the server when i request is made.

Now its a good thing because it means that the page you’re seeing is always the most current and that you'll never be seeing an out of date version of that page.

However for the post.php it means that when you click back in your browser the browser will go to the server and download the page again, which in turn means that you won't have your post still there.

This is just kind of speculation though as i couldn't test post.php as it requires you to be logged into see it and the program i've written for viewing headers doesn't handle post data or cookies.

I would imagine though that the setting of the headers is some kind of global include and therefore applied to all pages.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I'm rubbish with computers but I can just about understand what you're saying, thanks for taking the effort
I've calmed down now but I still wont be typing that post again, its unlucky

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   
That sucks, have had that happen to me more times than I care to remember.

But we must percevere (or however thats spelled), for good posts must appear.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei

But we must percevere (or however thats spelled), for good posts must appear.

Hi iori,

Sorry to pick you up on this, but it's Percy Vere was a well known English Knight who attempted to match-make for Henry VIII.

Regards

J

top topics

join