It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egyptian Sun Temple Discovered In Cairo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I searched, but didn't find anything relating to this discovery, correct me if I am wrong though please.

-

A pharaonic sun temple believed to be that of King Ramses II has been discovered under the popular outdoor Souq al-Khamis market by a team of Egyptian archeologists working in co-ordination with the German Archeological Mission in Cairo.
The temple, located in the capital's Aim Shams and Matariya districts, is the largest sun temple ever found where the ancient city of Heliopolis was once located.
Artifacts recovered include two statues, the head of a statue, and green pavement stones of the temple's floor.

For archeologists to continue excavation of the site, the entire market must be removed.

The partially uncovered site is the largest sun temple ever found in the capital's Aim Shams and Matariya districts, where the ancient city of Heliopolis — the centre of pharaonic sun worship — was located, Zahi Hawass said.

Among the artifacts was a pink granite statue weighing 4 to 5 tonnes whose features “resemble those of Ramses II,” said Dr. Hawass, head of the Supreme Council of Antiquities.

Also found was a two-metre-high statue of a seated figure with hieroglyphics that include three tablets with the name of Ramses II — and a 3-tonne head of royal statue, the council said in a statement.

The green pavement stones of the temple's floor were also uncovered.

I think this is a great find, and hopefully more information into the mysteries of Egypt will be discovered.
Also, some sources are saying it was a bust-not a head- that was found.

Huge sun temple discovered under Cairo market

Egypt announces discovery of Ramses II statues

[edit on 1/3/06 by ju stab urden]

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   
This kind of stuff has a good potential of increasing our understanding of, not only religion in general, but the complexities of Sun worship too.

It would be fascinating if this could tell us more about roman mithraism and the eastern sun cults and the like. Sometimes a single cult artifact can be vital.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Wow great find!

I wonder what other goodies can be found at this site. It also makes me wonder how much other stuff is out there to be found.
It never ceases to amaze me all this knowledge we've gathered.

new topics

join