It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just who are these snipers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   
A movie made by merc snipers in Iraq - I'd love to know just how they got clearence to operate in a war zone and with the support they obviously have.
Can any snipers out there comment on the effectivness of a 5.56 at 800 meters? because to me that seems a weak sniper round at that distance from a scoped M-4!

heres the Video link - comments appreciated about the 5.56 round you Americans use _ Is it different to our 5.56 SA-80 round?

www.ifilm.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
5.56 isnt usually the round of choice for snipers, acurate but they tend to tumble after 600 m or so. Snipers tend to go with a larger round, 7.62 being the most popular i believe. But saying that a good sniper with a good weapon can kill anything at that distance no mater the round size.
Also i believe the 5.56 round is NATO standard so i imagine the US round is prob the same as we use.

To be honest after watching the vid he didnt seem that good a sniper, he was sqeezing shots off one after the other, he didnt move position after say 2 rounds the amount of rounds he was firing would give his position away to any spotters in the area. Bad technique, he was lucky he didnt end up with an RPG up his arse.

[edit on 28-2-2006 by Janus]

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I didnt think these guys were snipers as such...

just seemed like some two bit mercs skirmishing local militants from a fixed position, using their range on a bunch of pissed off goat herders...

"green flag! er... thats Mehti.. yeah thats Mehti army, green flag! We're to engage on sight!"

uhuh...

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qoelet
I didnt think these guys were snipers as such...

just seemed like some two bit mercs skirmishing local militants from a fixed position, using their range on a bunch of pissed off goat herders...

"green flag! er... thats Mehti.. yeah thats Mehti army, green flag! We're to engage on sight!"

uhuh...

I guess you have forgotten the fighting between Sadr's army and against the American forces along with other troops. The contractors were security forces protecting a facility. Goat herders don't fire back with rpgs and aks.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Saw that one a long time ago from infowars, the reason the sniper did NOT have to move position is because he had a firing squad with him. The group you saw are called Blackwater, trained by an ex-navy seal who started a mercenary firm on the east coast. You can find their website and even look at what they train you in. Dont ask how dangerous they are because they are numbered close to the top, and frankly I loath them. Also if you were able to see who he was shooting at you might notice a pile of bodies probably civilian up untill the militia arrived to shoot back at him. This group is used extensively in Iraq and there is a reason why they are favored by the US govt. they were even sent to New O. after Katrina. Just shows you the US has a severe number problem and makes up for it with hired hands. The good news is they die just like anyone else and are doing so.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   
cheers for the info.

didn't think US 5.56 was different in any way to UK cal, but had to check just in case.
As for their skill, well when the spotter tries to call in range / target info he stutters and splutters... Just wondering what the hell they are doing in Iraq though...

new topics

top topics

join