It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H5N1 found in cat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   
A cat in Germany has been confirmed as being infected with the deadly H5N1 virus.

breakingnews.iol.ie
The H5N1 strain of bird flu has been confirmed in a cat in Germany, the first time it has been positively identified in the country in an animal other than a bird, a national laboratory said today.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is worrying. The virus has started to mutate it seems. Cant wait to hear more news on this as there isn't any more information available at the moment.

Other links of interest

news.nationalgeographic.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.npr.org...

[edit on 28/2/06 by Yossarian]

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 08:15 PM
link   
That is so incredibly ironic

it is a bit worrying though.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Hmm, it's disturbing to say the least.

I have to wonder where the cat was found? Was it in a city, or on a bird farm, though probably it was on a farm.

Poor thing probably just wanted a meal, and died because of it. I wonder if that is how it happened and that there was no mutation...

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sir Solomon

Poor thing probably just wanted a meal, and died because of it. I wonder if that is how it happened and that there was no mutation...

Seems to be. Authorities don't talk much about H5N1 bird flu entering through the gut - but it does, via infected meat, maybe eggs, and contaminated water.

...That's why bird flu was flagged as threatening biodiversity at the bif confewrence in Brazil last week.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I just found this, and it is...diturbing to say the least...

I mean when I did my research paper I remember the the Flu virus actually takes DNA from other animals, but the only ones that were mentioned were bird and pigs, not cats!

Here is the link: Dutch warns cats could play role in bird flu transmission, mutation

I figured I would post it here instead of starting a new thread, since we have already been talking about cats dying and H5N1 here.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Sir S - you're right. It's another H5N1 first: cats do not normally get flu, not even Type A.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Sir S - you're right. It's another H5N1 first: cats do not normally get flu, not even Type A.

Hmm, scary.

Yeah, I went back and checked most of my sources, and there is no listing of cats.

Possible mutation?
I don't want to sound paranoid, but we could actually be seeing it....

Hmm, if we were to see the massive die off of Cats, well, it would certainly make things interesting...

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Keep them inside if you have an outbreak near:

Keep cats indoors if avian flu nearby, researchers warn

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   
BBC says the cat in Germany was not the first case. The first case(s) were in Thailand.

Cat bird flu risks 'overlooked'

The first report of domestic cats dying of the H5N1 virus emerged in Thailand in 2004 when 14 out of 15 cats in a household near Bangkok fell ill and died.

One had eaten a chicken carcass on a farm where there was an outbreak of the virus.

It appears that once a cat gets infected, it spreads easily from one cat to another.

Since then, there have been deaths among cats in Indonesia, Thailand and Iraq, where H5N1 appears to be prevalent among poultry.

[...]

There have been reports of big cats dying from the deadly H5N1 virus - including 147 tigers who died in a Thai zoo after eating infected chicken.

The headline fits. It does appear to have been overlooked. Dozens of cats infected, 147 tigers dead? Why weren't we informed earlier?

TPL

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
It does appear to have been overlooked. Dozens of cats infected, 147 tigers dead? Why weren't we informed earlier?

We were informed earlier but no-one cared to notice.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Actually we were just told a cat died in Germany because of H5N1. I checked all the old links and old news in Google, nothing came out quite like this latest BBC news article. They only make a passing mention of tigers dying in Thailand.

Can you imagine that? 147 tigers died from H5N1 and all it gets is a passing mention?

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TPL

We were informed earlier but no-one cared to notice.

True...Sad...but true.

Our own careless nature in abusing nature and in also ignoring it when it starts trying to correct itself.

The mainstream American or World Citizen won't even care until it mutates and becomes too late to make preparations.

top topics

join