It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

masons vs. latter-day saints (mormons)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I recently heard, word of mouth, that the various rituals of the LDS church were heavily inspired by the Masons. I don't recall reading that Joseph Smith was a Mason, but a Methodist.

I have several LDS coworkers who told me that there are various "degrees" within their church. Various ways to become "sealed", secret rooms in the temple, special garments, etc.

It's very interesting....

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by randee83
I recently heard, word of mouth, that the various rituals of the LDS church were heavily inspired by the Masons. I don't recall reading that Joseph Smith was a Mason, but a Methodist.

I have several LDS coworkers who told me that there are various "degrees" within their church. Various ways to become "sealed", secret rooms in the temple, special garments, etc.

It's very interesting....

Joseph Smith received the three degrees of Ancient Craft Masonry in one day, in a Lodge in Nauvoo, along with several hundred other Mormons. They were soon all expelled, but used Masonic elements when he wrote the Mormon Temple Ritual called the "Endowment".

In the 1980's, the Mormon Temple Ritual was revised, and most of the Masonic elements were deleted from the ceremony.

join