It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello from Florida . .

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Lost between generations. Born too late for the Roaring Twenties and too early for the Baby Boomers, sort of an "in between" generation. I like to say I was 11 years old (1945) before I learned the "Three R's" did not stand for Roosevelt, Rayburn and Rupp. FDR, of course, Sam Rayburn, Democrat Speaker of the House from Texas, and Adolph "The Baron of the Bluegrass" Rupp, famous coach of the University of Kentucky Wildcats basketball team. I have said World War Two was the war we all loved. Excepting of course the 450,000 Americans who died and their families and friends. I am not unaware of the 50+ millions who died around the world, but my observation was first meant for fellow Americans. Married 3 times to 2 women, but without progeny. Removed from Ky to Florida in 2003, to a retirement village. I hold to the proposition it is the unspoken obligation of each generation to leave the world a better place than it found it. I am rather disappointed that will not be the case in 2006. My interests are in history, science, archaeology and technology.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Nice intro donwhite, enjoy your long stay here at the great ATS!

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by donwhite
Born too late for the Roaring Twenties and too early for the Baby Boomers, sort of an "in between" generation.

I think this generation is somewhat under-represented on these boards, so your point-of-view may be particularly valuable.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Thx, Spittincobra and Saltman, for the encouraging words. I came to ATS via Google looking for the inventor of ailerons. Ailerons is one of several words of which I cannot recall the spelling.
I can spell “anti-disestablishmentarianism” which was said to be the longest word in the first Webster’s International, the 15 pound tome once found in most public schools and every library. I recently visited the Glenn Curtiss Museum at Hammondsport, NY, and learned that the Wright Flyer did not have ailerons. The Wright’s employed a complex lever and pulley system to bend the wing tips for the roll effect.
The first Curtiss airplane - a flying boat - built in 1908, employed ailerons. Since the word sounds French, I assume ailerons were invented in France. I also learned the Wright brothers tried to pull a ‘Seldon Patent’ in the airplane field. Henry Ford, who had beaten Seldon’s claims, loaned his lawyers to Curtiss who ultimately beat the Wright brother’s efforts. Ironically, during the lengthy legal squabble, the Wrights were precluded from making improvements in their first airplane, while others were not so constrained. In the end, the Wright Brothers built 13 planes and Curtiss built more than 3,000 for the Army in WW One. I look forward to participating at ATS. Thanks for making me feel welcome.

[edit on 2/27/2006 by donwhite]

new topics

top topics

join