It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beijing Warns of Massive Outbreak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Beijing Warns of Bird Flu

China today warned the public of a possible "massive" outbreak of bird flu, and said the country's agriculture officials were on high alert.

The announcement came as China reported that two more people — who had both been around sick or dead birds — had died of the H5N1 bird flu strain, and that there was a new poultry outbreak in the country's east.

"In view of the current situation, the possibility of a massive outbreak could not be ruled out," the official New China News Agency quoted Agriculture Minister Du Qinglin as saying.

Ok, we all know how uncooperative the Chinese government have been with the whole bird flu thing. Now they are ADMITTING the possibility of a massive outbreak?

This isn't looking good at all.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 05:18 AM
link   
It seems to quiet down for a little while... but its not going away.

I do find it scary that 'they' are announcing this, as you said Loam, they have been uncooperative thus far and this could mean that it is actually alot worse then what they are saying.

I haven't been following this as of late, has there been anymore on person to person contact?

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   
That is quite worrying.

loam I hope you don't mind, but the link you provided requires registration and I know there's many out there who are probably like me in that we hate to register for anything if it can be helped. To that end I'm posting another news source for the same topic.

China alert for spring bird flu

China could suffer a "massive" outbreak of bird flu this spring, the Chinese agriculture minister has said.

The minister, Du Qinglin, was speaking to parliamentarians after China reported two new human cases of the potentially lethal H5N1 strain.

Officials are worried that wild birds will infect farm poultry as they return from their winter migration.

"We must remain on a high-level alert in all areas ... and step up prevention and control work," the minister said.

"The possibility of a massive bird flu outbreak cannot be ruled out," Mr Du said in a briefing to MPs.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Strangely, this news story was just a side note on BBC's Asia-Pacific news section. I guess until somebody actually dies, it's of no real importance...

new topics

join