It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Client-side rules in outlook

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I'm running Outlook 2000 on an Exchange 2000 sp4 network. I'm using the outlook rules wizard to create auto forwarding rules to deleted items and a resesarch sub folder, but getting stuck at a 32k limit hard coded on the server. (I have a lot of addresses). My question is if anybody knows how to set the client-side rules that are local to the machine so I can bypass the 32k rules limit?
I can't seem to find the option in the rules wizard.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   
The 32 K limit is intentionally hard coded into all versions of exchange. There is an unofficial workaround that the exchange administrator can perform, but it is dirty and I doubt you will convince the exchange admin to do it.

The setting for the rules to be server side, or client side is also within Exchange, not Outlook. It is my understanding that this is an everyone or nobody option. It cannot be set per individual. I doubt you will get the exchange admin to change this.

Perhaps someone else knows of a workaround that I am not aware of.

Best of Luck

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   
The problem is that this isn't my profile, but my CEO's who needs things his way or no way. one day I had to synch his Blackberry calendar with 15,000 entries. He had appointments dating back to 2002. I thought I could just edit a rule in a *.rwz file or something, the same way the trash filter works.

My understanding was that there was an option to set rules as client side or server side. Like a checkbox or dropdown selection. It turns out that it depends on the phrasing of the rule where the rule is assigned. (Exchange actions v. Outlook actions). If I configure the rule properly in outlook it will act either client or server side. The problem is that I have well over the limit and I don't know how much elbow room I'll need for all of the actions.

I think I can manipulate my way through it.

Thanks again.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Understand the CEO thing. Also I stand corrected. Sort of.

The quote below shows that you can create client side rules if the email is being moved to a personal folder. (.pts file)

For example, a rule cannot be applied on the server if the action requires moving a message to a folder in a personal folder file. If a rule cannot be applied on the server, it is referred to as a "client-only" rule and the rule is applied when you start Outlook 2000.

By default, Outlook will try to run all the rules that you create on the server. Rules that cannot be run on the server have the words "client-only" added to the end of the name. If your list of rules contains rules that can be run on the server as well as those that cannot, the rules on the server are applied first, and then all of the other rules are applied.

When you use the Rules Wizard it will inform you when you exit if your new rule is a "client-only rule", in which case it will only be processed when you run Outlook 2000.
www.le.ac.uk...

top topics

join