It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grizzly Man

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Has anyone else seen this? It's on Discovery now. This is the most bizzare thing ever!! This guy went to Alaska for 13 years to live with these bears, and they finally ate him
He did, however, reach alot of school children and educate them.....watch the film, this guy is out there!!!

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   
.........umm, thank you! I'm playing here all week!

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I personally rec the show, cause the guy is all alone in the wild for months, and he loses his mind! watching and seeing his random bibbles, not to mention the crazy crap he does (like petting and kissing the bears), makes for a greatly entertaining show.

They do hype the tape of his death, and show the bear moments before it killed him, but never show / air the footage / sounds of it.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I saw the movie. I would not recommend showing it to any kids. The strange guy goes crazy more than once, cussing up a storm that a team of drunken sailors would be proud of. What a freaking idiot. Also, he gets his friend killed by dragging her along on putting her near the bears even tho she had an entirely natural fear of the giant killing machines. If only she trusted her instincts more often, she wouldnt have gone into the woods with an obviously gay crazy man.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
This movie was hilarious! I would have sworn it was a spoof. And I have no pity for his idiot girlfriend. If someone asks you to hold a camera as he feeds a wild bear, you aren't a victim, you are an idiot.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I watched it here at my college. I went in thinking it would be nothing more than a bunch of hippy BS but I was moved by it which I find pretty amazing because most movies don't do anything to stir feelings inside of me. And, of course, I did get a good laugh every now and then

I felt really bad for his parents, not because he died, but because they had to get all those letters and people just thought his son was some super nutty liberal.

I have a lot of respect for that man. It would take a lot to be able to survive as long as he did alone (I think the movie said only a few months at a time, but most people probably couldnt do that). He was obviously very troubled as anyone will see when they see his personal messages. Anyone who talks the way he did obviously had problems though I don't feel bad at all for him. He lived how he wanted to live and died how he wanted to die. The only tragedy I feel is the loss of his woman

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Late comer to this, just saw it. Pure comedy is all I can say. Folks like Christopher Guest/Michael McKean can only dream of having material this rich. Treadwell was a few acorns short of a fall harvest with some sort of demented death wish. I don't care who you are, if a bear is hungry you are dinner.

The most accurate description I've seen of this was "Best Unintended Comedy of All Time". Yup.

brill

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Hmm. I'll have to see this.

Having lived in Alaska (on the island of Kodiak, no less), I'm pretty familiar with the bears.

For the most part, you almost have to really TRY to get attacked by them. Otherwise, they're usually content for you to simply leave the area. About the only way to tick them off is either messing with the cubs, or competing for food in the same area (whether berries or fish). Other than that, you could usually just walk away and be fine.

Judging by the comments so far, it seems this guy did all of these no no's and then some! I'd be surprised if he DIDN'T die....so I'm not that shocked. What an idiot (as is anyone who helped).

Basic rule, if the bear howls, or worse, stands and howls, you walk away slowly (while looking at the bear).
If you run, and/or turn your back, bad idea. If he does move towards you (personally never had it happen, but heard of it), the common idea is that you make yourself as large and noisy as possible (wave arms, try to sound intimidating, etc.), and it is supposed to confuse them enough to just let it go I suppose. Glad I never had to resort to it though. (and rifles will usually just tick it off more often than not, we're talking a Kodiak brown here)...unless you hit the right places.

reply to post by brill

The bear isn't attacking for food, it's attacking a rival or a perceived threat
edit on 20-10-2010 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Hmm. I'll have to see this.

Having lived in Alaska (on the island of Kodiak, no less), I'm pretty familiar with the bears.

For the most part, you almost have to really TRY to get attacked by them. Otherwise, they're usually content for you to simply leave the area. About the only way to tick them off is either messing with the cubs, or competing for food in the same area (whether berries or fish). Other than that, you could usually just walk away and be fine.

Judging by the comments so far, it seems this guy did all of these no no's and then some! I'd be surprised if he DIDN'T die....so I'm not that shocked. What an idiot (as is anyone who helped).

It is worth watching, Herzog usually does a good job with documentaries. A lot of questions are raised and the main character is well colorful to say the least. Your points are valid though and certainly apply when confronted by such an animal. Definitely check it out.

brill

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Herzog rules period.

top topics

join